Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

For all those worried about Jeff 

bornfromthevoid posted this earlier, they are still streaming.

The devastation is massive, nothing has been spared damage.

this is tornado type destruction over a massive area - with water added

Edited by matty40s

Did anybody make it into the eye of this thing safely?

Considering that the eye just went over an entire city, I'm quite surprised that I've not seen any 'inside the eye' footage.

14 minutes ago, crimsone said:

Considering that the eye just went over an entire city, I'm quite surprised that I've not seen any 'inside the eye' footage.

There's a video on the previous page.

2 hours ago, crimsone said:

There's a couple on twitter. What a risk,tho. To remain put when you could be grazing the eyewall instead of being in the eye.

Bit weird for me that other hurricanes have had 24/7 coverage even on UK news channels but this one has had very little, yet appears to be the "real deal". Is that because of a "cry wolf" over previous storms? Or just media choices? 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Bit weird for me that other hurricanes have had 24/7 coverage even on UK news channels but this one has had very little, yet appears to be the "real deal". Is that because of a "cry wolf" over previous storms? Or just media choices? 

Yes, it has been weird.  BBC are catching up now with it as the main story on their website but maybe there was a bit of 'storm fatigue' after the coverage of Florence.

Also, there was such a short period in the lead up, Florence was well covered 7 days out?  However, looking at the images from overnight, I suspect there may well be more coverage in the days to come?!

Nope that won't happen...very likely to move NNE to the west of Scotland but still pretty windy.

Would you believe it, I got called to go collect someone just as the dratted thing came ashore and then fell asleep as soon as I got back. I've spent days watching this thing develop!

7 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Nope that won't happen...very likely to move NNE to the west of Scotland but still pretty windy.

Care to substantiate that with some images?

1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Care to substantiate that with some images?

Strong heights to the east, primary low to the north (though filling) - general outcome to move north east, based on experience and a big 'if' the synoptics looked anything like this come Sunday which will no doubt change by then. So all conjecture :)

To be honest I see it as a Cat 5 and the destruction was of a Cat 5, a couple of mph makes no odds at that intensity either side of the 4/5 category line. I also personally think a rapidly intensifying hurricane is more destructive in some ways over one which evolves more slowly to the same level.

Edited by SnowBear
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

To be honest I see it as a Cat 5 and the destruction was of a Cat 5, a couple of mph makes no odds at that intensity either side of the 4/5 category line. I also personally think a rapidly intensifying hurricane is more destructive in some ways over one which evolves more slowly to the same level.

Absolutely

the rapid intencification of Michael cought the unawares.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1