Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

bornfromthevoid posted this earlier, they are still streaming.

The devastation is massive, nothing has been spared damage.

this is tornado type destruction over a massive area - with water added

Edited by matty40s

Posted

Did anybody make it into the eye of this thing safely?

Considering that the eye just went over an entire city, I'm quite surprised that I've not seen any 'inside the eye' footage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
14 minutes ago, crimsone said:

Considering that the eye just went over an entire city, I'm quite surprised that I've not seen any 'inside the eye' footage.

There's a video on the previous page.

Posted
2 hours ago, crimsone said:

There's a couple on twitter. What a risk,tho. To remain put when you could be grazing the eyewall instead of being in the eye.

Posted

Bit weird for me that other hurricanes have had 24/7 coverage even on UK news channels but this one has had very little, yet appears to be the "real deal". Is that because of a "cry wolf" over previous storms? Or just media choices? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
17 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Bit weird for me that other hurricanes have had 24/7 coverage even on UK news channels but this one has had very little, yet appears to be the "real deal". Is that because of a "cry wolf" over previous storms? Or just media choices? 

Yes, it has been weird.  BBC are catching up now with it as the main story on their website but maybe there was a bit of 'storm fatigue' after the coverage of Florence.

Also, there was such a short period in the lead up, Florence was well covered 7 days out?  However, looking at the images from overnight, I suspect there may well be more coverage in the days to come?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Michael remnants for Sunday.

airpressure.thumb.png.e8f63ee3352ffaf81e70357600bddc24.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Nope that won't happen...very likely to move NNE to the west of Scotland but still pretty windy.

Posted
7 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Nope that won't happen...very likely to move NNE to the west of Scotland but still pretty windy.

Care to substantiate that with some images?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Care to substantiate that with some images?

Strong heights to the east, primary low to the north (though filling) - general outcome to move north east, based on experience and a big 'if' the synoptics looked anything like this come Sunday which will no doubt change by then. So all conjecture :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
3 hours ago, daz_4 said:

Totally jaw dropping. Looks as bad as the tsunami and quake damage in Indonesia.

Posted

To be honest I see it as a Cat 5 and the destruction was of a Cat 5, a couple of mph makes no odds at that intensity either side of the 4/5 category line. I also personally think a rapidly intensifying hurricane is more destructive in some ways over one which evolves more slowly to the same level.

Edited by SnowBear
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
13 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

To be honest I see it as a Cat 5 and the destruction was of a Cat 5, a couple of mph makes no odds at that intensity either side of the 4/5 category line. I also personally think a rapidly intensifying hurricane is more destructive in some ways over one which evolves more slowly to the same level.

Absolutely

the rapid intencification of Michael cought the unawares.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Hurricane Michael upgraded to a Category 5 at time of U.S. landfall

Post-storm analysis estimates sustained winds of 160 mph

"Scientists at NOAA’s National Hurricane Center conducted a detailed post-storm analysis on all the data available for Hurricane Michael and have determined that the storm’s estimated intensity at landfall was 140 knots (160 mph). This final wind intensity is a 5 knot (5 mph) increase over the operational estimate and makes Michael a category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale at the time of landfall on October 10, 2018, near Mexico Beach and Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida.

Michael is the first hurricane to make landfall in the United States as a category 5 since Hurricane Andrew in 1992, and only the fourth on record. The others are the Labor Day Hurricane in 1935 and Hurricane Camille in 1969. Michael is also the strongest hurricane landfall on record in the Florida Panhandle and only the second known category 5 landfall on the northern Gulf coast. Michael’s central pressure of 919 millibars (mb) at landfall is the third lowest on record for a landfalling U. S. hurricane since reliable records began in 1900, trailing only the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 (892 mb) and Hurricane Camille of 1969 (900 mb)." 

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/hurricane-michael-upgraded-to-category-5-at-time-of-us-landfall?utm_source=Social media&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=Hurricane Michael News 20190419

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47991658

• 2 weeks later...