Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
TomSE12

WORLD CUP OF GOLF "FANTASY" COMPETITION

After "hosting" a thoroughly enjoyable "Fantasy" Ryder Cup Competition (Which was my first attempt at running a "Fantasy" Matchplay event). I thought I'd host, one more "Fantasy" Golf Competition, for the year.

I've chosen the, WORLD CUP of GOLF, which is to be held at the Metropolitan Golf Club in Melbourne, Australia, 22nd - 25th November. As I stated at the start of the Ryder Cup thread, I'd always had reservations about "hosting" a "Fantasy" event on the Ryder Cup because of the quick turnaround in matches and not allowing entrants enough time to post their predictions, for individual matches. This happened again, during the Ryder Cup Competition, with some entrants not being able to post up their predictions for Foursome/Singles matches, perhaps due to work or social commitments. Sometimes, I'm prone to forget that members "have a life", outside of sport and Netweather.

Anyway, I digress, I'll have a go at "hosting" a Competition on this event. I'll now post up a few details about the event.

Qualification

The 28 nations to compete were determined based on the top-ranked players from each country from the Official World Golf Ranking as of 3 September 2018.

These 28 top-ranked players selected a partner from the same country, if such a player was ranked in the top 500 of the OWGR. If there were less than five possible choices in the top 500, a player could choose any of the next five players from that country in the rankings, even if they were ranked outside the top 500. The deadline for teams to be finalized was 20 September.

Teams

Country Seeded player Unseeded player
35px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia Marc Leishman Cameron Smith
35px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England Tyrrell Hatton Ian Poulter
35px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Kyle Stanley Matt Kuchar
35px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png Thailand Kiradech Aphibarnrat Prom Meesawat
35px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png South Africa Branden Grace Charl Schwartzel
31px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Denmark Thorbjørn Olesen Søren Kjeldsen
35px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan Satoshi Kodaira Hideto Tanihara
35px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea An Byeong-hun Kim Si-woo
35px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China Li Haotong Wu Ashun
35px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Adam Hadwin Nick Taylor
35px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland Russell Knox Martin Laird
35px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium Thomas Pieters Thomas Detry
  Seeded Player Unseeded Player
35px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden Alexander Björk Joakim Lagergren
35px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand Ryan Fox Danny Lee
35px-Flag_of_Venezuela.svg.png Venezuela Jhonattan Vegas Joseph Naffah
35px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain Adrián Otaegui Jorge Campillo
35px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland Shane Lowry Paul Dunne
35px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France Alexander Lévy Mike Lorenzo-Vera
35px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria Bernd Wiesberger Matthias Schwab
35px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India Shubhankar Sharma Anirban Lahiri
35px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands Joost Luiten Daan Huizing
35px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland Mikko Korhonen Mikko Ilonen
35px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico Abraham Ancer Roberto Díaz
35px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany Martin Kaymer Maximilian Kieffer
35px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy Andrea Pavan Renato Paratore
35px-Flag_of_Zimbabwe.svg.png Zimbabwe Scott Vincent Benjamin Follett-Smith
35px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.png Malaysia Gavin Green Ben Leong

35px-Flag_of_Wales_%281959%E2%80%93prese Wales

Stuart Manley

Bradley Dredge

I will now post up more details of the Tournament; Playing Format, etc. Then a bit of detail to the "Fantasy" Competition, which I will add to, over the next couple of weeks. The Format for the "Fantasy" Competition will be very similar to the recent Ryder Cup Competition, nominating Outright Winners, Top Points Scorers, Individual Match Results, etc.

Below, are a list of players who, although qualified to play, declined the offer:

Players that were eligible but did not commit: Dustin Johnson, United States; Brooks Koepka, United States; Justin Thomas, United States; Justin Rose, England; Jon Rahm, Spain; Francesco Molinari, Italy; Bryson DeChambeau, United States; Rory McIlroy, Ireland; Rickie Fowler, United States; Jordan Spieth, United States; Jason Day, Australia; Tommy Fleetwood, England; Bubba Watson, United States; Patrick Reed, United States; Alex Norén, Sweden; Paul Casey, England; Tony Finau, United States; Hideki Matsuyama, Japan; Webb Simpson, United States; Xander Schauffele, United States; Henrik Stenson, Sweden; Patrick Cantlay, United States; Phil Mickelson, United States; Tiger Woods, United States; Rafa Cabrera-Bello, Spain; Sergio García, Spain; Louis Oosthuizen, South Africa; Emiliano Grillo, Argentina; Pan Cheng-tsung, Chinese Taipei; Joaquín Niemann, Chile; Fabrizio Zanotti, Paraguay.

That's a shame, some very talented Golfers in that list!!

PLAYING FORMAT

The format is 72-hole stroke play; the first and third days are foursomes (alternate shot), and the second and fourth days are four-ball (best ball) play.[1]

Looking at the list of countries playing and the make-up, of their teams, I would think England must be nigh on favourites, for the event. Tyrrell Hatton and Ian Poulter, played a major part in Europe's, Ryder Cup victory. Altnough I've not yet seen any Bookmaker's Odds, for the event yet but I'm sure they will be available, in the next couple of weeks.

Please let me know, by indicating on this thread, if you'd like to enter. Thank you.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:🏌️‍♂️

Yes from me too Tom. 

The Aussies look a good pairing too. ☺️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phil nw. said:

Yes from me too Tom. 

Yes Phil, Grace/Schwartzel look quite tasty for the South Africans, too!! Being half-Italian was hoping that Francesco Molinari, would turn out, for Italy. Of course, he won the World Cup of Golf, in China in 2009, with his brother, Edoardo.

Had to smile to myself, after Francesco had won the Open back in July. A member made a comment on the Golf Chat thread, that they'd never heard of him!! Obviously, not a serious Golf fan!! His win in the Open was fully justified and not out of turn. 

He's been one of the best, "tee to green" players on Tour, over the last couple of years, very consistent. His Major win, was no surprise to me.

It's a shame so many Top Class Americans have declined to play, in the World Cup. Perhaps feeling a little chastened, after their humiliating defeat in the Ryder Cup and not "in love", with Matchplay at the moment!!:nonono:

I'll post up more details on the "Fantasy" Competition, once Bookmaker's make Odds available, for the various categories.

Regards,

Tom.:hi:🏌️‍♂️

Posted (edited)

Bookmaker's have started to advertise their prices, for the Tournament. Listed below, are the Betting Odds for all 28 competing teams. See composition of the teams, contained in the first post, on the thread.                      

WORLD CUP OF GOLF

OUTRIGHT WINNERS

TEAM                                                   ODDS

🇦🇺  AUSTRALIA                                                     5/1

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿  ENGLAND                                                       13/2

🇺🇸 U.S.A.                                                              15/2                                              🇿🇦 SOUTH AFRICA                                               9/1

🇩🇰DENMARK                                                       12/1

🇰🇷SOUTH KOREA                                                12/1

🇫🇷FRANCE                                                            16/1                                          

🇮🇪IRELAND                                                          16/1

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  SCOTLAND                                                       16/1

🇨🇳CHINA                                                               18/1

🇳🇿  NEW ZEALAND                                               18/1

🇪🇸  SPAIN                                                               18/1  

🇧🇪  BELGIUM                                                         20/1

🇮🇳  INDIA                                                                22/1

🇯🇵  JAPAN                                                              25/1

🇸🇪 SWEDEN                                                          28/1

🇨🇦 CANADA                                                          33/1

🇩🇪GERMANY                                                       33/1

🇮🇹  ITALY                                                               33/1

🇦🇹 AUSTRIA                                                          40/1               

🇹🇭 THAILAND                                                       40/1 

🇫🇮 FINLAND                                                          45/1

🇳🇱  NETHERLANDS                                               50/1

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿  WALES                                                             60/1

🇲🇾  MALAYSIA                                                       66/1

🇲🇽  MEXICO                                                           66/1

🇿🇼  ZIMBABWE                                                     250/1

🇻🇪  VENEZUELA                                                    250/1

ALL IN.

1/4 ODDS. 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th.

I will post up Bookmaker's Odds for further categories in the "Fantasy Competition, as soon as those Odds, become available.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:🏌️‍♂️

Edited by TomSE12

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:44, phil nw. said:

Yes from me too Tom. 

Looks like the Bookmaker's agree with you, Phil!!

They do look a very hot pairing. The tournament will be played in Leishman's home State of Victoria and I'm sure he would've played the Golf Course, many times before. So brings a lot of local knowledge to the table. Meanwhile, Cameron Smith has top form, in a Matchplay, team event format. He won the Zurich Classic of New Orleans in 2017, with Jonas Blixt, of Sweden. 

It's a great shame that so many top "Yanks" have turned down the chance to play. Obviously not in love with the team, Matchplay format, at the minute, after their "drubbing", in the Ryder Cup. A lot of American golfers strike me as being, a shade too individualistic, for a team event!!

Regards,

• Like 1

WORLD CUP OF GOLF

OUTRIGHT WINNERS

🇿🇦 SOUTH AFRICA                                               9/1

• Like 1

Thanks K/W, I'll make note of that. Still waiting for Bookmaker's to publish Odds, for other categories. I'll then decide what categories to choose for predictions, in the Competition.

As usual for the Outright Winners category, you have the option of WIN or EACH WAY. I'll allocate "virtual" stakes of £5 WIN or £2.50 EACH WAY, which would you like?

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12

4 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

£5 WIN please 🙂👍🏌️‍♂️

Thanks K/W.

Regards,

Hi Tom, 

Yes wrt the Aussies pairing I have watched quite a few PGA tournaments on Sky this year and they have shown good form. 

I fancy them to win. ☺️

• Like 1