Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How would you assess Summer 2017?

Philipsfd

How would you assess last summer? Since the summer we've just had, I've heard some people refer to last year as shocking and other similar words, but was it that bad? I suppose last year will suffer since it wasn't on the level of this year and I guess a similar thing happened with 1994, 1996 and 2005, which were all decent summers in their own right.

Without checking the statistics, from memory June was mixed with some extremities; a very wet first 10 days and a VERY hot and dry third week, followed by a fairly disappointing end of the month. The first three weeks of July were also mixed, but not quite as extreme as June; a modest warm spell from about 5th-9th and a slightly more intense heatwave from about 16th-19th which also included thunderstorms. The remainder of the month was quite disappointing and from what I remember this continued throughout August, albeit with a brief good spell around the bank holiday. September was even worse and close to being a washout from memory.

How do you remember last year? As I've reviewed above, it certainly wasn't anything special here in the North West, but neither was it the damp squib that some people have recently described it as. That said, I thought the best spell of weather last year was from about the middle of March to the end of May, give or take a few blips around mid-late April (there was a mini winter blast around the 24th-25th April!).

Edited by Philipsfd
Mistake

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

2017 was one of the Hottest on record across Western Canada..in Calgary it was the hottest on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Absolutely rubbish even as early as late June here in eastern Ireland though some people suggest it got bad only from mid-July onwards. Late June was cold and wet following a notable warm/hot spell from the 17th-21st then the first half of July was very cloudy here with relatively warm temperatures. The second half of July was wetter and cooler but far superior in terms of sunshine. August was extremely disappointing, little to no warmth, unremarkably cool temperatures, average rain, little sun, yuck. I dislike Summer 2017 if you could not tell. I prefer Summer 2015 over it for crying out loud and that's saying something because I loathe July 2015.....

Posted

Neither here nor there. It will not be remembered not by me, anyway. It won't be remembered for being brilliant: 2018. Won't be remembered for being absolutely awful: 2012. Won't be remembered for its thunder, because there wasn't any as such.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A mixed summer here but one that got gradually less summery.

After the unsettled start, June was the best month - again! - and largely dry. The closing days were very cool but didn't bring much rain.

July was definitely a month of two halves. Predominantly warm or hot in the first half, but with a stinker of a day on the 11th. The thunderstorms on the 18th/19th were great. But then after that summer proper never returned. For the remainder of July it was often showery or wet with another thunderstorm on my birthday (23rd). Exception was the 24th-25th which were both lovely.

August was then plain boring. Quite a dry month overall down here though with a few wet days. However, daytime temperatures were suppressed and sunshine was below average so it felt more like September. The saving grace was the gorgeous bank holiday.

September was a washout!

So, a summer that had its moments but was often below par. Not terrible by any means though. July 2015 was worse than 2017 here. June 2015 was sunnier but cooler. August 2015 had a much better first half but much poorer and wetter second half. One could say 2017 and 2015 were similar overall.

Posted

A pretty poor summer.  After such a warm, suny and dry Spring it was a kick in the teeth. June was the wettest in my records with only around 70% of sunshine as well as suppressed maximum temperatures but warm nights, worst combination. I remember the 6th of June with heavy rain all day almost giving the full months total and a high of only 12.C and strong winds. The warm spell in the middle did give a bit of relief but it wasn’t overall hot with the highest reaching 25.C. The last 10 days were cool and wet as well.

July was a fairly average month although cool, but unsettled. It remained cool and wet for the first 10 days although the weather improved somewhat around midmonth becoming warm and sunny for a time but then the closing days became cool and unsettled once more. Not on par with the likes of 2002, 2007, 2012, 2015 but still not great.

August remained much the same although was wetter than average but not on the same level as June. The lack of warmth was really noticeable though, I recorded a highest temperature of just 22.4.C, it was also rather windy.

September again remained cool and unsettled and was the first September not to exceed 20.C. 

I dont have many good memories of this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
22 hours ago, Philipsfd said:

Similar to 2016 as well?

Much prefer Summer 2016 over Summer 2017 although 2016 had its big issues too, namely the sunshine. Whilst I had a large number of 20c+ days in 2016, there was rarely a sunny day due to persistent humid southwesterlies. The second half of August improved on the sunshine though here.

Posted

Why has this emerged? First half of summer was exceptional for us in the southeast unncanny to this summer, in fact it was more enjoyable not as oppressive. We have not had a bad summer in yonks!

• Like 1

Posted

Excellent hot spell in mid june.

July except for 2 very warm days otherwise unsettled.

Otherwise a nothing special summer,thunder only 2 days in august then late settled 6 days.

Posted

I think of it as around average overall here. Warmer and colder than average weather balancing out, and it did have more variability and interest than some summers. August was a bit poor (as ever), but June was a bit warmer than usual with that mid month hot spell.

Some good thunderstorms around the 18th/19th July (and this isn't meteorological summer, but the most frequent lightning I've seen overnight on the 26th-27th May, distant but flashing literally every second).

Overall, better than any 2007-2012 summer (though 2010 not too far behind), better than 2015, about level with 2016, behind 2014, 2013 and 2018.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

A rather dismal early June, but soon followed by much better weather with really hot and dry conditions in the middle part and shortly after. More unsettled towards the end, with light winds and some heavy rain around. 

July, much more settled again from the start with many very warm and sunny days. Predominantly dry too. Lasting until gone mid month, with a few hot days. The fourth week, more unsettled with rain or showers at times, and cooler in stages. 

August, generally changeable and breezy first half, then a more settled and warm or very warm and mostly dry second half. 

September, much cooler and unsettled. Unseasonably chilly a few days into the month with heavy showers and hailstorm in an unstable northerly. Very windy mid month. 

Overall, a pretty decent summer, but more disappointing in the middle, and a poor September. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

For my location (London), summer 2017 was a tale of two halves. Warm/hot and sunny first half and cooler/wetter 2nd half. 

Between 10th and 26th June, the max temperature was 23c or above on every day except 1. During that period we had 5 consecutive days of 30c+, peaking at 34c on the 21st. 

The first half of July was again very warm and sunny for most of the time. The turning point was the 19th when it turned cooler, but between 1st and 18th July we had 10 days at 25c+, peaking at 31c on the 6th. 

The last 10 days of July and much of August was then quite cool and more unsettled. There was a short warm spell at the end of August. 

Edited by danm

Posted

The only things I can recall about that Summer, was the hot and sunny spell we had in June, which was quite a good one actually, but unfortunately short lived. It's funny though that our expectations for Summer are greater than those for Winter in this country, been as a very cold and snowy spell at least once is all it usually takes to rate a Winter highly, yet the equivalent of one hot and sunny spell in Summer does not a Summer make, for some reason.

The other thing I remember is the fact we had no thunderstorms at all throughout the whole of 2017 with the exception of one or two distant rumbles. At least in 2018 we had a night then following day with some good thunder at the end of May, though that was still very poor by the standards of some of the years back in the 90s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Most of the summer was nothing to write home about here but we had a brief hot spell in June when it almost touched 30°C on one day, which is rare for here, even this summer didn’t get as close as that. The most memorable thing was the thunderstorms late in July which were rather spectacular at times. Far better storm wise than this summer was which admittedly isn’t saying much. 

Edited by matt111