Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
syed2878

Winter 2018/19

Recommended Posts

21.2C (70.2F) at Kew Gardens, last time 70F was reached so early in the year was 8th March 1929

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nick F said:

21.2C (70.2F) at Kew Gardens, last time 70F was reached so early in the year was 8th March 1929

The winter record has been smashed, trashed, crashed, mashed, any adjective will do really.

Once in a lifetime this week, I'm prepared to guess. 

The convincing way the record has been beaten does make you think 40C would not be impossible in summer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

The winter record has been smashed, trashed, crashed, mashed, any adjective will do really.

Once in a lifetime this week, I'm prepared to guess. 

The convincing way the record has been beaten does make you think 40C would not be impossible in summer. 

 

With 19.7C being recorded as early as Feb 13th these sort of temperatures were always possible given the right conditions. With the temps this week being so late in Feb they will take a bit of beating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth comparing the midday sounding a year ago at Nottingham with today's

2018022612.03354.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.7b97e5a93bed8de7b21238ac0de71179.gif2019022612.03354.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.1b1a8fc23c357a99feb80d529f7efac3.gif

Edited by knocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nick F said:

21.2C (70.2F) at Kew Gardens, last time 70F was reached so early in the year was 8th March 1929

Came after a severe winter about 10 days before there were sub zero maxima recorded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aarhus Airport, Denmark has hit 15.8c today just 0.1c off the current record of 15.9c set in 1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Marcus71 said:

With 19.7C being recorded as early as Feb 13th these sort of temperatures were always possible given the right conditions. With the temps this week being so late in Feb they will take a bit of beating.

Extremes by there very nature need the perfect conditions be it Heat Wind or rain. 
I think you make a very good point about the timing of these records compared to 1998.

Had these conditions occur two weeks earlier would we have beat the record with the lower solar input? probably but not by as much would be my complete guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible today. Tomorrow looks like another chance to beat the record, maybe south-east?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matthew. said:

Incredible today. Tomorrow looks like another chance to beat the record, maybe south-east?

Maybe.

The wind will change direction a bit tomorrow more southwesterly instead of southeasterly could be touch and go to top 21.2c

Edited by Summer Sun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, knocker said:

Worth comparing the midday sounding a year ago at Nottingham with today's

2018022612.03354.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.7b97e5a93bed8de7b21238ac0de71179.gif2019022612.03354.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.1b1a8fc23c357a99feb80d529f7efac3.gif

What is notable about today's Nottingham skew-t is how dry the airmass is, dry air allows temperatures in the sun to reach higher than if it were moist, also allows temperatures to plummet quickly overnight, hence the large diurnal temperature range of last few days - where Bala in Wales yesterday saw 22C rise in temperature from overnight low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Virtually all the UK is bathed in sunshine on what is the warmest winters day on record

 

9a40e46b-c7e8-4349-8edb-4be5e9987b85.png

Fourth warmest here 13.8c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

warmest ever for me in 22 years at 19.1 C, also no day in the records for RAF Finningley 1942-1995 matches this, its highest is 17.9 C 23 February 1990

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

21.2C (70.2F) at Kew Gardens, last time 70F was reached so early in the year was 8th March 1929

And a record breaking 18.1c here on the South coast too.

Had an ice cream today and caught a sun tan!

21.2c in February,as amazing for warmth as the late Beast In  2018 was for depth of cold at this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Extremes by there very nature need the perfect conditions be it Heat Wind or rain. 
I think you make a very good point about the timing of these records compared to 1998.

Had these conditions occur two weeks earlier would we have beat the record with the lower solar input? probably but not by as much would be my complete guess

Possibly, but the extra energy needed to get from 19.8c to 21.2c at this time of year is pretty high. It doesn’t look like a big increase at face value, but it’s massive in reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

tn72295_30.gif

Amazing, and the first one that London has reached 70F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the latest BBC News article, on the subject of this winter's grand finale...The graph of Februarys, since 2002 is quite interesting: with the exception of 2008, the warmest are close to sunspot minima...Has Climate Change caused the meandering PFJ to bring warmer, rather than colder synoptics?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47374936

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Maybe.

The wind will change direction a bit tomorrow more southwesterly instead of southeasterly could be touch and go to top 21.2c

should be warmer as less cold night, this in Summer July, would be close to 40 degrees tomorrow somewhere in the east

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only reached 14.5C here after a frosty start.  A bit disappointing when everyone else is breaking records but it was a glorious day after some misty/foggy ones. Our Feb high remains 15.0C from both of last Thursday and Friday. That could still be beaten tomorrow, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Possibly, but the extra energy needed to get from 19.8c to 21.2c at this time of year is pretty high. It doesn’t look like a big increase at face value, but it’s massive in reality.

This has been much longer last and we have the -10c upper air over the country and its 10 days later to 1998 and the -10 upper air was much further south.

Anyway this time last year it was -5.7cmin with a max of 1.2c an parallel world apart.post-6092-0-79197800-1296314758_thumb.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

 

The convincing way the record has been beaten does make you think 40C would not be impossible in summer. 

 

I’m pretty sure that will occur within the next ten years, if not five.  It could even happen this summer, although I hope not.  A relief from record breaking temperatures would be good for at least a short while!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...