Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2018/19

syed2878

Posted
On 04/01/2019 at 13:04, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes i actually prefer cold due to my health, however, i thought i was going to die just walking back from the shop, i take it you are referring to Holme Moss (somewhere on the A628?)

My partner has been sick on and off for 5 weeks now, and I blame the colder weather. She seems to feel better once it turns mild, but as soon as it dips below 8 degrees, the colds come back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My partner has been sick on and off for 5 weeks now, and I blame the colder weather. She seems to feel better once it turns mild, but as soon as it dips below 8 degrees, the colds come back.

Don't wan't to stray off topic but you need to tell her to see a doctor if <8c makes her ill.

EDIT : ignore the off topic bit -  i was thinking it was the model thread.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Don't wan't to stray off topic but you need to tell her to see a doctor if <8c makes her ill.

EDIT : ignore the off topic bit -  i was thinking it was the model thread.

We’ve done all that. If you live in London, you are exposed to more germs on transport. Plus, she works outside all year. Not everyone can handle the cold and damp conditions, or thinks sitting in a beer garden at 8 degrees is warm and enjoyable. Some people on here should think on abit, before making snarky remarks. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
30 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

true that, always aware colds are less frequent in mild air

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

We’ve done all that. If you live in London, you are exposed to more germs on transport. Plus, she works outside all year. Not everyone can handle the cold and damp conditions, or thinks sitting in a beer garden at 8 degrees is warm and enjoyable. Some people on here should think on abit, before making snarky remarks. 

It wasn't a snarky remark and heat makes me ill., people should think on before wanting long draw southerlies in summer, i always get the flu myself, i am sceceptible, and the reason there are more colds in winter is for one reason, because everyone goes inside and there lies the problem, germs actually spread easiest at around 30c, thats scientific fact, it is because people can't hack walking so more people use public transport, its a myth that flu spreads in cold temperatures it doesn't. i could't afford a flu jab this winter, i can now but not sure its worth it now.

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It wasn't a snarky remark and heat makes me ill., people should think on before wanting long draw southerlies in summer, i always get the flu myself, i am sceceptible, and the reason there are more colds in winter is for one reason, because everyone goes inside and there lies the problem, germs actually spread easiest at around 30c, thats scientific fact, it is because people can't hack walking so more people use public transport, its a myth that flu spreads in cold temperatures it doesn't. i could't afford a flu jab this winter, i can now but not sure its worth it now.

Fair enough then

• Like 1

Posted
On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:52, Mapantz said:

They issued a level 3 alert for that.

Should`ve been level 10.

Posted
21 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Time to wash that summer quilt by the looks of things. 

Winter 2018/2019 - flush it down the toilet pan and never speak of it again. 

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Gavs weather vids Sunday roundup.  QBO looks to have descended into its westerly phase quicker than expected which could scupper chances of prolonged cold later in the winter.  However, early days and a case of wait and see.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 05/01/2019 at 20:15, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes.

Things spread because most people are inherently dirty. Temperature has little bearing on it, except people are more likely to huddle in communal places in winter e.g buses etc rather than walking.

I work in retail and on a daily basis see people sneeze/cough into their hands, rub their faces etc and then touch the card machines. People genuinely disgust me. Another one is people using petrol pumps, touching door handles etc then eating with the same unwashed hand- I mean, come on, that's asking for trouble.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Yes.

Things spread because most people are inherently dirty. Temperature has little bearing on it, except people are more likely to huddle in communal places in winter e.g buses etc rather than walking.

I work in retail and on a daily basis see people sneeze/cough into their hands, rub their faces etc and then touch the card machines. People genuinely disgust me. Another one is people using petrol pumps, touching door handles etc then eating with the same unwashed hand- I mean, come on, that's asking for trouble.

HA, eating petrol not good, anyway yes, you see people serve you in tesco and they have a cold, what i do when i get home, is use dettol wipes on the outside packaging of everything i have bought, and my keys and money, take all my clothes off and wash them - TBH its not always people's fault though, but because people are so dishonest these days and will say they are ill when not, when people are genuinely ill and shouln't be at work, the gaffers are suspicious so decent people try to get in when they are'nt fit.

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

HA, eating petrol not good, anyway yes, you see people serve you in tesco and they have a cold, what i do when i get home, is use dettol wipes on the outside packaging of everything i have bought, and my keys and money, take all my clothes off and wash them - TBH its not always people's fault though, but because people are so dishonest these days and will say they are ill when not, when people are genuinely ill and shouln't be at work, the gaffers are suspicious so decent people try to get in when they are'nt fit.

Completely agree. I do the same as you because colds aren't a sniffle to me- they lay me low for days due to manifesting on my chest (because of an underlying chest issue I have). People should not be working with or interacting with the public if they're ill full stop.

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Completely agree. I do the same as you because colds aren't a sniffle to me- they lay me low for days due to manifesting on my chest (because of an underlying chest issue I have). People should not be working with or interacting with the public if they're ill full stop.

Yes totally agree, the major challenge would be though, you only feel effects 12 hours after becoming contageous with flu - colds its longer (i think), how many people if you are serving have you then handed change to by the time you find out, then there's the people that chuck sickies when really all they have is sticky mattress syndrome, also people who just can't afford to take any time off and then there's the cost to the economy even if everyone who was genuinely ill took time off - absolutely billions - so unfortunately i don't have the answers.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes totally agree, the major challenge would be though, you only feel effects 12 hours after becoming contageous with flu - colds its longer (i think), how many people if you are serving have you then handed change to by the time you find out, then there's the people that chuck sickies when really all they have is sticky mattress syndrome, also people who just can't afford to take any time off and then there's the cost to the economy even if everyone who was genuinely ill took time off - absolutely billions - so unfortunately i don't have the answers.

I believe they're still working on a common cold and noro vaccine. So difficult because of their non-specific and mutating properties.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't touch anywhere near my face when i'm out/at work. Took me ages to fully train myself, as it's human instinct. However, even if I have an itch on my face, I'll rub it with my shoulder rather than use my hands.

Also, not picked my nose since I was a kid 

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I don't touch anywhere near my face when i'm out/at work. Took me ages to fully train myself, as it's human instinct. However, even if I have an itch on my face, I'll rub it with my shoulder rather than use my hands.

Also, not picked my nose since I was a kid 

Yes, you have to think though, as you could have had someone breathe on your shoulder, so you have to always be alert to any dangers - which shoulder did they breathe on? --  this theory is based on the 6 p's  -  proper preparation prevents p poor performances.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, you have to think though, as you could have had someone breathe on your shoulder, so you have to always be alert to any dangers - which shoulder did they breathe on? --  this theory is based on the 6 p's  -  proper preparation prevents p poor performances.

Most viral load is not in breath/saliva at all. It's in mucus (colds and flu) and vomit and faeces (noro)

Edited by CreweCold
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine

Did I just walk into the doctors surgery by mistake?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
7 hours ago, Optimus Prime said:

Time to wash that summer quilt by the looks of things. 

Winter 2018/2019 - flush it down the toilet pan and never speak of it again. 

Why are we flushing it down the toilet? Not even half way through yet!

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

This is turning into OCD central

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Thought I would comment in here at As frustration is at a tipping point in the HFCT atm which is understandable to a degree but if everyone is honest with themselves a real cold spell has not been consistently shown by the big 3 models at any point this winter.That said we are only just over 35% through winter we have a long way to go and I am still hopeful of a cold spell for the UK before mid March.Indeed the SSW underway has a reasonable probability of achieving this but like others have said if this cold spell does occur we will have to wait 2 more weeks to see if this happens.

one thing I have noticed over the last 6 years since I joined NW forum is that South Eastern Europe and especially Greece and Turkey have really had some quite severe cold and snowy spells which we can only look at with envy.I wonder if this is a regular occurrence as I don’t remember their winters having such big snow events at 5he start of the millennium.Climatic change maybe?

Anyway I digress and will continue to monitor the HFCT and hopefully see things take a turn for the better in terms of cold/snow Synoptics.There are so many knowledgeable members on there whom I respect and admire their reading of models but at the same time we must be civil to each other and not let frustrations boil over just because it is not what we want to see.Perspective and realism are key as well as the dreaded Patience lol!!I have learnt those 3 traits being a Spurs fan for 40 years although for last 8 years things have improved drastically on that front(although a trophy or 2 would be nice now).

FWIW I think we will get a notable cold spell in late January(22nd onwards)but whether it turns into  2013 only time will tell.Either way it will be a fascinating watch.I hope CC is right as I think I remember him saying from late November when, at the time there was optimism for December(which sadly didn’t produce any notable cold snap or spell) that he thought winter wouldn’t get started till late January/early February.That is looking like a good call and hope he is right:oldgrin:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Thought I would comment in here at As frustration is at a tipping point in the HFCT atm which is understandable to a degree but if everyone is honest with themselves a real cold spell has not been consistently shown by the big 3 models at any point this winter.That said we are only just over 35% through winter we have a long way to go and I am still hopeful of a cold spell for the UK before mid March.Indeed the SSW underway has a reasonable probability of achieving this but like others have said if this cold spell does occur we will have to wait 2 more weeks to see if this happens.

one thing I have noticed over the last 6 years since I joined NW forum is that South Eastern Europe and especially Greece and Turkey have really had some quite severe cold and snowy spells which we can only look at with envy.I wonder if this is a regular occurrence as I don’t remember their winters having such big snow events at 5he start of the millennium.Climatic change maybe?

Anyway I digress and will continue to monitor the HFCT and hopefully see things take a turn for the better in terms of cold/snow Synoptics.There are so many knowledgeable members on there whom I respect and admire their reading of models but at the same time we must be civil to each other and not let frustrations boil over just because it is not what we want to see.Perspective and realism are key as well as the dreaded Patience lol!!I have learnt those 3 traits being a Spurs fan for 40 years although for last 8 years things have improved drastically on that front(although a trophy or 2 would be nice now).

FWIW I think we will get a notable cold spell in late January(22nd onwards)but whether it turns into  2013 only time will tell.Either way it will be a fascinating watch.I hope CC is right as I think I remember him saying from late November when, at the time there was optimism for December(which sadly didn’t produce any notable cold snap or spell) that he thought winter wouldn’t get started till late January/early February.That is looking like a good call and hope he is right:oldgrin:

According to my Greek housemate from university, the last five or so years have been notable for wintriness across the country, with even Athens (where he's from) getting in on the act occasionally. He's mentioned that places in the north of the country like Thessaloniki aren't immune to cold weather though when the synoptics are right, but the depth of cold of some recent winters is unusual.

Given the mountainous nature of a lot of Greece and Turkey though, I guess it's par for the course that these areas see decent snow pretty regularly. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Weekly bulletin: Wednesday 26 December 2018 to Tuesday 1 January 2019

Summary: It has been a dry week across most of England. River flows decreased at over three-quarters of indicator sites and flows at more than half of all sites are lower than normal for the time of year.

Rainfall 

Rainfall totals over the past week range from 0.2 mm in south-east England to 6 mm in north-west England (Table 1 and Figure 1). Cumulative rainfall totals for December ranged from 101% of the monthly long term average (LTA) in north-east England to 134% in south-west England (Table 1).

River flow

River flows across England decreased at over three-quarters of the indicator sites. Daily mean flows are classed as normal or below for the time of year at most sites.

Outlook

High pressure is likely to remain dominant over the next week so the weather will be predominantly settled, dry and cold. There is the odd chance of a short shower, however, the rainfall totals are likely to be low.

https://t.co/hFBWrwDrV9