Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2018/19

syed2878

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

t-shirt and shorts day today, unbroken sunshine from dawn till dusk. it really did not feel like February out there. Plenty of people in summer clothing.

we get exceptional stuff from time to time, i remember December a couple years ago, in the run up to christmas, 17c by day, and at night, it stuck at 17c... but it was not pleasant, it was cloudy, with misty drizzle... i went outside around 5am, and the air felt tropical

Posted
1 hour ago, sundog said:

We have been in a mild dry pattern overall since Nov. That won't last forever.  It will change of course at some point. 

If this were the case the Met Office wouldn’t need to use a different 30 year average every 10 years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What's the chance of somewhere hitting 22C tomorrow? Now that would be amazing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I presume the locals are getting sick of it now?

most locals have the good sense to fly to Hawaii or Florida for a cpl weeks in Feb...its been a long winter here though its been snowing since the first week of Sept. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Today's top 3 on this historic winters day. More of the same tomorrow?

Trawsgoed 20.6c
Northolt 20.4c
Gogerddan 20.1c

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

somehow never feels as warm if there's been a frost, today cooler than last few, here it looks cold again tomorrow in my location due to a frost, warming up later in the week, when minimums could be 8C, rather than -3

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
20 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I presume the locals are getting sick of it now?

Thats the same as living in locations such as Egypt and moaning about the heat in summer. If you live in a location such as Edmonton in winter then you expect to be freezing.

An incredible day today with the record being broken. Have to mention I also think we are looking at record breaking inaccurate long range forecasts. Never have I seen such inaccurate LRF's for this month after 40 years of following the weather!

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Today's top 3 on this historic winters day. More of the same tomorrow?

Trawsgoed 20.6c
Northolt 20.4c
Gogerddan 20.1c

How likely is it that those new records will tumble tomorrow?

Posted
8 minutes ago, TEITS said:

An incredible day today with the record being broken. Have to mention I also think we are looking at record breaking inaccurate long range forecasts. Never have I seen such inaccurate LRF's for this month after 40 years of following the weather!

Sadly, I have to agree with that, without any disrespect to long range forecasters.  Has been a very bizarre season indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
4 minutes ago, Don said:

Will depend on any cloud cover/fog overnight the hot spot today was above 19c before noon that will be one of the key things to looks for tomorrow

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Will depend on any cloud cover/fog overnight the hot spot today was above 19c before noon that will be one of the key things to looks for tomorrow

Agree. In summer we usually see the hottest temperatures at 3/4pm. In late Feb, with the days still short in comparison to mid summer, the warmest time of day will more likely be early afternoon. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Not sure fog will as big of a problem. I think dewpoints and humidities are lower than recently. 

Not sure if there is a connection between large diurnal ranges and low humidities and dewpoints 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Don said:

I've been waiting, though never expecting to see, 20+ temps in wintertime, since I was about eight-years-old...And, if Kold's right, about tomorrow's uppers being a degree or so up on today's, then there ought to be a better-than-average chance, I'd imagine...? Though places like Trawsgoed might be less-affected by Foehn winds, with less of a southerly drift?

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Not sure fog will as big of a problem. I think dewpoints and humidities are lower than recently. 

Not sure if there is a connection between large diurnal ranges and low humidities and dewpoints 

definitely a connection in my location between frost and lower temps, if we'd have had a humid/moist SSW'ly, would drop no lower than 13 degrees likely, any breaks if sun comes out, then should feel very warm, maybe 22 degrees, and a huge CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Thats the same as living in locations such as Egypt and moaning about the heat in summer. If you live in a location such as Edmonton in winter then you expect to be freezing.

People in Canada certainly do moan about the cold, and I’m sure people in Egypt moan about the heat. Just because it’s expected doesn’t mean you can’t moan about it.

Plus, Edmonton is very cold in winter on average anyway so even colder won’t be welcomed.

Edited by cheese

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

I've been waiting, though never expecting to see, 20+ temps in wintertime, since I was about eight-years-old...And, if Kold's right, about tomorrow's uppers being a degree or so up on today's, then there ought to be a better-than-average chance, I'd imagine...? Though places like Trawsgoed might be less-affected by Foehn winds, with less of a southerly drift?

There has been talk for some time with climate change leading to 70f days occurring during winter in the UK, which is something I have dreaded.  However, if everything aligns correctly as SS mentioned above, I can see this happening somewhere tomorrow!  When I went out at lunchtime today, I have never known anything like it in February.  Wore a T-shirt and actually felt quite hot at times!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

There has been talk for some time with climate change leading to 70f days occurring during winter in the UK, which is something I have dreaded.  However, if everything aligns correctly as SS mentioned above, I can see this happening somewhere tomorrow!  When I went out at lunchtime today, I have never known anything like it in February.  Wore a T-shirt and actually felt quite hot at times!

certainly different here, was still frost on the ground at 10am, proper winters morning

Posted
46 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

all this talk of 20c is making me jealous..tis still -30c here with no end to the cold in sight 

You'd think we were in separate hemispheres at the moment. Can't believe it's a Winter's day here today. Out walking in the countryside earlier it felt more like late May but for the bare trees giving the time of year away. Was admittedly pleasant though if not necessarily my preferred weather type at this time of year as it's more what I'd prefer in a month or two's time, but it's practically if not officially Spring here now (though the possibility of a colder shot later in actual meteorological Spring can't be discounted) unlike this time last year when it was still very much Winter so it's time to accept the new season has started and  for now we can only hope Winter 2019/20 will be more satisfactory for we that prefer our Winters to be snowy and icy. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

certainly different here, was still frost on the ground at 10am, proper winters morning

My mum mentioned there was but I never saw it been as I wasn't up until gone 11 ☺️. It soon warmed up then in the afternoon with clear skies warm sunshine and not a hint of ice anywhere. Even in the shade it only felt refreshingly cool rather than chilly I thought.

Posted
26 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Spot the difference from this time  last year to this year

Just felt slightly different!

Edited by Don
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

My mum mentioned there was but I never saw it been as I wasn't up until gone 11 ☺️. It soon warmed up then in the afternoon with clear skies warm sunshine and not a hint of ice anywhere. Even in the shade it only felt refreshingly cool rather than chilly I thought.

There was a slight frost where I was first thing but temperatures soon soared!

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

most locals have the good sense to fly to Hawaii or Florida for a cpl weeks in Feb...its been a long winter here though its been snowing since the first week of Sept. 

And Mexico. Met a lot of Canadians the other week in Riviera Maya.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Still a heavy frost lying here at 8.30am today. Our back garden patio set, the glass table top was iced up.

• Thanks 1