Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2018/19

syed2878

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Hmmm, recent early season spells of this equivalence such as February 1998 and March 2012 weren't followed by great summers. Even April 2007 and 2011 didn't.   February 2008 which was record breakingly sunny ended up being sunnier than the following August. You start to wonder if there is going to be a weather car-crash coming up...

I was thinking this too especially after March 2012 which the current period reminds me a lot of if slightly earlier this time. Of course there probably isn't some sort of strict weather rule whereby warm and sunny early Spring weather prevents the same occurring during the Summer months, but what is certain based on past experience is that early Spring warmth doesn't a hot and sunny Summer make. It'll be interesting to see what weather we get during the next 6 months after this though.

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Hmmm, recent early season spells of this equivalence such as February 1998 and March 2012 weren't followed by great summers. Even April 2007 and 2011 didn't.   February 2008 which was record breakingly sunny ended up being sunnier than the following August. You start to wonder if there is going to be a weather car-crash coming up...

I think there's too much 'year-matching' on here sometimes. No 2 years are the same; nor are weather patterns. I have a very open mind on upcoming Spring and Summer, after all our biggest influence is the Atlantic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Let’s not forget that we came within half a degree of breaking the all time April heat record last year.. 

April 2003 also recorded very high temperatures.. indeed the dryness of that year’s spring will have contributed to the record falling in August.

Also February 1990.. the previous year the Welsh February record occurred, with temperatures widely in the high teens. August 1990 then broke records early in the month.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I think there's too much 'year-matching' on here sometimes. No 2 years are the same; nor are weather patterns. I have a very open mind on upcoming Spring and Summer, after all our biggest influence is the Atlantic.

Indeed...March, April and May 1975 was were all stinkers, whilst March, April and May 1976 were quite good...And year-matching has hardly been a resounding success, this winter, has it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

So a new record in Scotland, Wales and England this week

Did Ireland / N Ireland get one?

NI needed to beat 17.8c haven't seen anything to say they broke any records

Don't know what ROI's temp record is

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

NI needed to beat 17.8c haven't seen anything to say they broke any records

Don't know what ROI's temp record is

Ireland's record is 18.1C, cooler than the January record of 18.5C.
https://www.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

A few 16s and 17s about, but no mention from Met Eireann about the record being threatened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
38 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I agree. However, I'd take a cool, wet summer if offered to me right now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Every season in the UK now has a 20c day at least once

Just 2 individual months of the year now don't have a 20c day they are of course December and January

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Exactly what I have been thinking.  Those spells of early warmth proved to be a bad omen.  Would not be surprised at all if this yr the same thing could happen. . Perhaps this current weather is our 'Summer'. Any summer heads rejoicing about the current spell, well I would be very wary if I was them. Well we had no winter to speak of this yr , perhaps not much of a summer either????? Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens. 

Edited by sundog
  • Like 2

Posted

X month is warm so x months will be cold is more useless than red sky at night. If it were accurate there’d be no global warming. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, March said:

X month is warm so x months will be cold is more useless than red sky at night. If it were accurate there’d be no global warming. 

People see patterns all the time, not sure anyone has made a forecast thou 

Posted
6 minutes ago, March said:

We have been in a mild dry pattern overall since Nov. That won't last forever.  It will change of course at some point. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, sundog said:

We have been in a mild dry pattern overall since Nov. That won't last forever.  It will change of course at some point. 

Haven't we had a very dry pattern overall for well over a year now? 

Posted
1 minute ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Haven't we had a very dry pattern overall for well over a year now? 

All the more reason for things to change over the coming months . 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, sundog said:

All the more reason for things to change over the coming months . 

Unless this year is like 1976 and 2018 was 1975.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Unless this year is like 1976 and 2018 was 1975.

True that could end up being the case aswell. But in more recent times early warmth doesnt seem to bode well for whatever reasons. But it will be interesting to see what happens.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.

I just love mild, sunny days like today. Hopefully we'll get another fantastic summer like last year, it wouldn't bother me never to see snow again in this country.

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, sundog said:

Exactly what I have been thinking.  Those spells of early warmth proved to be a bad omen.  Would not be surprised at all if this yr the same thing could happen. . Perhaps this current weather is our 'Summer'. Any summer heads rejoicing about the current spell, well I would be very wary if I was them. Well we had no winter to speak of this yr , perhaps not much of a summer either????? Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens. 

Up until recent years I would agree with this.  However, in view of the strange weather patterns during the last 12 months, I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Up until recent years I would agree with this.  However, in view of the strange weather patterns during the last 12 months, I'm not so sure.

I wonder could the strange patterns the last year have anything to do with solar minimum or climate change or perhaps a mix of both?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Will have to wait until NCMs at 0900 tomorrow, but hourly obs seem to have settled on 20.6c for Trawsgoed, Ceredigion (69F) and 20.2C for Northolt, Gt London. New UK Feb record, new Welsh Feb. and new English Feb records. Official observations and NCMs https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9018-uk-temperatures-who-takes-the-official-weather-observations-and-how 

febrecords6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, Don said:

Strange up and down weather patterns since april 2007 are unprecedented

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

all this talk of 20c is making me jealous..tis still -30c here with no end to the cold in sight :cold:

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

all this talk of 20c is making me jealous..tis still -30c here with no end to the cold in sight 

I presume the locals are getting sick of it now?