Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2018/19

syed2878

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
23 hours ago, Law of averages!! said:

What about DECEMBER 2010, that was more or less uninterrupted... a month!!

Also someone else mentioned there's no pattern in weather, I disagree BIG time... there are patterns, nowt surer... just going from 1947 ( give or take year!!  ) BIG winter, 1955 I'm sure was a cold winter, 1963 another biggie, 1971 was snowy, 1978/79 take your pick on either, 1986/87 I'm sure these were memorable, 1995/96 I'm sure one of these was, 2003/04 might not be as memorable but some good snow, 2009/10 as above... and this year the beast!! So within 8yrs or so, there's some memorable winter's... 1947 and 1963 being the exception and seeing as I wasn't born till 65, them 2 are out of my reach lol but there are patterns there... whether BIG or small :hi:

1971? Snowy? Eh.....

Posted
18 minutes ago, BruenSryan said:

1971? Snowy? Eh.....

Well I was 6 at the time... and as I've said a yr or 2 either way!! I've got 71 as snowy in my head but 70 or 72 could have been also?? But I'm talking about my region, not UK as a whole... cause not all area's would get snow at the same time.

Probably 47/63 did or didn't ( all area's)... as I wasn't born but going off my father these winter's did... but only people who were there to remember it, could answer this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
3 minutes ago, Law of averages!! said:

Well I was 6 at the time... and as I've said a yr or 2 either way!! I've got 71 as snowy in my head but 70 or 72 could have been also?? But I'm talking about my region, not UK as a whole... cause not all area's would get snow at the same time.

Probably 47/63 did or didn't ( all area's)... as I wasn't born but going off my father these winter's did... but only people who were there to remember it, could answer this

Going by knowledge I've racked up over the years and the charts the winter of 1971 was almost entirely forgettable bar an impressive cold spell with snow over Christmas 1970. By the 6th of January mild southwesterly winds ploughed in and on the 10th it got 18.3 degrees C at Aber, North Wales. Talk about a pattern flip! February was non-descript.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, LetItSnow! said:

Going by knowledge I've racked up over the years and the charts the winter of 1971 was almost entirely forgettable bar an impressive cold spell with snow over Christmas 1970. By the 6th of January mild southwesterly winds ploughed in and on the 10th it got 18.3 degrees C at Aber, North Wales. Talk about a pattern flip! February was non-descript.

Well 70 goes with what I said... it must have 70 but with it going into the new yr, 71 must be in my memory but it's good memory either way cause now I would have been 5 lol

Posted

Not a bad start to winter here. A cold week at the end of November into the beginning of December with some snow, followed by a "meh" week and now snow again. There was hardly any autumn this year; just a summer which wouldn't end flipping straight to winter.

201812023da962fb-66d7-46b0-a9e1-8685e2a17189.thumb.jpg.08ff320c122042c1a719488692b7fcf7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow
2 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Not a bad start to winter here. A cold week at the end of November into the beginning of December with some snow, followed by a "meh" week and now snow again. There was hardly any autumn this year; just a summer which wouldn't end flipping straight to winter.

201812023da962fb-66d7-46b0-a9e1-8685e2a17189.thumb.jpg.08ff320c122042c1a719488692b7fcf7.jpg

Good morning, where are you based? In truth we have  had the blocking but really poor results from it so far unlike a lucky few like yourself which is always good to hear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
18 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

@AderynCoch wasn't aware that I am not the only Slovakian on netweather, my wife sent me picture this morning from the other side of the country.

48167833_280464769281483_273033888505266176_n.jpg

Posted

Morning all

It's worth emphasising we remember certain cold spells (December 2010, March 2013, March 2018) because they are so infrequent and unusual. The synoptics we saw in March 2013 and 2018 would have produced much more severe conditions had they occurred in a January or February but they were pretty severe in their own right. It doesn't snow that often in Cornwall for example and for it to snow in March.

Most of the time we forget the mundane, the normal, the mild, wet mush except of course when it's stormy or persistent so we remember the big storms (1987, 1990, 2013 etc) rather than the weeks of zonal weather.

As we celebrate the rare and the exceptional we look for it but would we be happy if it were somehow to become "normal"? No, because it would lose its quintessential nature.

In a 90 day winter, a 7-10 day severe cold spell becomes memorable even if the other 80 days weren't. We talk about December 2010 but who remembers January and February 2011? A cold month is even more pronounced and rare yet somehow you'd think we were entitled to 90 days of freezing temperatures and snow. 

MY personal preference would be 10 days of anticyclonic inversion with fogs and frosts but I recognise that would be life-threatening for many people while for others snow id the beginning and end. A week of snow makes up for a month of dull drab drizzle. 

The very fact winters such as 62-63 and 46-47 are placed on such a pedestal is testament to how unusual they were but the world was a different place then. 

There may not be snow at Christmas again this year - there may be none at all this winter for me in lowland East London and be assured millions of our fellow residents would be delighted at such a prospect. 

We always, it seems, need a lot of luck to get the white stuff especially at lower levels but we're once again in the game, we've placed our bets and the wheel is spinning. Will we get lucky or will the Mild House win as it so often does?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stodge said:

Morning all The synoptics we saw in March 2013 and 2018 would have produced much more severe conditions had they occurred in a January or February

Shouldn't forget though that the distribution and placement of cold pooling is very important. Feb/March 2018 had a very long draw of extremely cold air out from Siberia, at a time when there was some unusually cold air (even for the region) and that really amplified what would normally be something more akin to the March's of 1996 & 2006; cold for the time of the year, but for least favoured counties such as the south east, never really produced anything too meaningful. 

February & March 2005 is an example where despite great synoptics, produced mostly temperamental lying snowfall that thawed during the day. 

Hypothetically had the same conditions been met earlier on with regards to the 2018 cold wave, it would have no doubt been colder. But it's not often, even in mid winter these days, we have cold like that to latch onto. Quite rare. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

John Hammond's latest Email exclusive

Milder westerlies return

Colder air comes back by Christmas week

Increasing chance of severe cold in January

https://weathertrending.com/2018/12/13/john-hammond-month-weather-you-think-this-icold/

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 2 cold weather alert issued for all of England apart from London and the southwest

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 08:59 on Thu 13 Dec 2018

There is a % probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0600 on Friday 14 Dec and 0900 on Monday 17 Dec in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

High confidence for increasingly widespread overnight frosts by the weekend, and less cold conditions spreading east during Saturday. Low confidence at this stage for the extent of any heavy snow and icy conditions on Saturday and at first Sunday across more northern areas.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Level 2 cold weather alert issued for all of England apart from London and the southwest

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 08:59 on Thu 13 Dec 2018

There is a % probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0600 on Friday 14 Dec and 0900 on Monday 17 Dec in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

High confidence for increasingly widespread overnight frosts by the weekend, and less cold conditions spreading east during Saturday. Low confidence at this stage for the extent of any heavy snow and icy conditions on Saturday and at first Sunday across more northern areas.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

standard June weather here

Posted

Widespread freezing rain shown for the north midlands northwards into extreme southern scotland tomorrow,I havn`t seen anything shown like that for freezing rain since approx. 1978 good luck with that,luckily it`ll get above freezing here,but may get freezing patchy rain/drizzle early Saturday.

Snow further north above that line. 

Posted

Good evening everyone, well i have to say i am looking forward to a cold and hopefully at times snowy winter, but i just have this nagging doubt that we will get any snow here, imby of course, the charts always look good 10 days out but never seem to get any closer, i have read in the hunt for cold thread that the signs are looking hopeful so for all us cold lovers out there fingers crossed.  

Posted
9 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The final JAMSTEC update to cover the full winter period has flipped to drier and milder than average

temp2_glob.DJF2019.1dec2018.thumb.gif.0b1e1646765356b81687100f0daf2b51.giftprep_glob.DJF2019.1dec2018.thumb.gif.f36bf8581f8779e514fa312a197eb85f.gif

Hope that has picked up a rogue signal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, coldie said:

This is the UK, not Canada...

Exactly issue a weather warning for conditions that are not unusual for June here

Posted
30 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Exactly issue a weather warning for conditions that are not unusual for June here

You know what it's like here though, it only takes a couple of snowflakes to fall and everything grinds to a halt 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Evening Star said:

Probably a relatively mild winter overall with a few short-lived (< week) cold spell here.

Or probably not lol