Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2018/19

syed2878

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

or West based QBO (high pressure closer to Greenland/Labrador sea) and we're on the periphery of cold air at times and Europe largely milder...who knows?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow
5 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Updated JAMSTEC winter forecast for 2018/19...and they haven't backed down, still going for a colder one in NW Europe (infact just our tiny Isle and a part of Norway)

temp2.glob.DJF2019.1nov2018.gif

With only the U.K below average.. Maybe that is the P.V setting itself up over us 

Posted

As I will be away from 24 Nov, will have to give my thoughts on the winter ahead a week or so earlier than usual. We have seen an abnormal pattern since Feb and this looks like continuing, indeed the synoptics we have evolving now are very abnormal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

As we enter the last 2 weeks of Autumn it seems that some on the MAD thread have given up on winter 2018/19 already as things Model wise, have taken a slight turn for the worse in terms of the predicted cold spell that has shown up on a regular basis over the last week or so.However,for me the theme and trend still looks pretty blocked for the next few weeks and i feel that we are in a so much better position at this time of year than we have been for the last half dozen years.Indeed, the LR Models seem pretty upbeat on a Blocked Winter for the UK.That is not to say that there will not be milder spells and the Atlantic will of course pass through the UK from time to time-for me that is a given.What might be interesting as we progress through winter and temps gradually drop is that i think there will be battleground situations where the systems come up against the colder air.As has been the case since the Spring this year i have seen many occasions where the Atlantic has come in but by the time it reaches the SE/E England it has very little precip on it as the High to our East has held firm.I see this pattern continuing over the next 3 months tbh and that is why i am optimistic that the UK will see more snow than an average winter(think Midlands could do well this year in battleground scenarios).Although we might not be successful in seeing the much sought after snow in the next 7-10 days we must remember it is only 16th November and we have a good 3-3 1/2 months to look forward to and i hope wintry weather rewards the enthusiasm and great posts from so many great and knowledgable posters that NW forums have.

I think we may look back come late March 2019 and say "Yeah that was a pretty good winter in terms of cold and snow for the UK"!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

For around the past month, I thought that this winter was looking quite good, nothing to me suggested any huge records being broken but there was certainly some snow and cold potential, and it looked to me like it would come around January, which is always a good time. Honestly, even when the graphs went bad medium-term in the past couple of days, it didn't really change my mind. But looking at everything now, I've had to think that the winter is going to be a huge disappointment, I wasn't following it nearly as much last year but except from the start and the end, when I wasn't expecting it, it seemed close to being something good but it never really was. I'm not predicting that there will be no cold spells, but I don't see them being anything special. Hopefully there will be good lowland snow at some point, but I worry that it won't happen at all. Looking at all the predictions, and the 'good' graphs, I only imagine it either going to the mild side or just never being cold enough.

But, as always, you can quite definitely disregard everything I've said. As you can probably tell, I have very little knowledge of predicting weather, and what to most people might be a decent winter to me isn't good enough. It'll be interesting to be told and to see how wrong I am.

(also sorry if I sent this a bunch of times by accident, I think I got logged out)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Have to say that people are much too negative regarding prospects in the model thread. To enter winter with what is likely to be the third coldest final third to November in 13 years (05 and 10 i suspect will be the only ones colder) with generally positive northern blocking is great news. That we don't get the cold air in for December on the first try is not a shock and our focus should be on an anti-Atlantic holding pattern rather than despondency. 

• Like 3

Posted

When people were seeing models the great models, I thought that most people would take it much more negatively than they actually have (the models are still good). Though to me it never did seem amazing, someone can tell me how I'm wrong about this, comparing it with other years. My worries are that after December (where the blocking may only exist around the start and second half) it will just be a disappointing rest of the winter. Even in December where the blocking is good I don't see anything like in 2010 happening again. It's definitely very probably better than average but still not enough for most of us - I was wanting an overall Winter CET of below 0c .

I want to ask, how you think December would compare to something like 2010.

Posted

Thanks Roger.  Are your thoughts for the coming winter the same as they were last month when you gave your forecast?

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, same thoughts, don't mind the slow development, the really good winters seem to make a strong move towards cold around 15-20 December.

North American pattern setting up about as expected also, so no red flags, just waiting to see how it unfolds now. 

False starts on GFS are often mirror images of what eventually happens, I think they pick up on a tendency that some other energy cycle then overrules for the time being, but it's a tendency that will try its luck again.  

• Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Former BBC weather forecaster John Hammond has updated his monthly forecast

Month Ahead – Cold snap or longer-lasting freeze?

The main headlines

• Chilly spell arrives
  • Limited impacts initially
  • Risk of more severe cold later

You can read his full forecast here https://weathertrending.com/2018/11/16/cold-snap-long-freeze/ you must sign up to read it

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

A look at ECMWF & Meteo France for winter

Great update from Meteo France.  ECMWF not so good, but not dreadful either.

19 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

Yes, same thoughts, don't mind the slow development, the really good winters seem to make a strong move towards cold around 15-20 December.

North American pattern setting up about as expected also, so no red flags, just waiting to see how it unfolds now. 

False starts on GFS are often mirror images of what eventually happens, I think they pick up on a tendency that some other energy cycle then overrules for the time being, but it's a tendency that will try its luck again.  

Hi Roger, 

Looking at your winter forecast, just wondering what your take on February might be? You say it maybe peak of snowfall. Are you thinking that there maybe some kind of battle ground scenario where the Atlantic maybe encroaching at this stage and coming up against still quiet stubborn HP so quiet slow moving fronts? Or am I taking up your thoughts completely wrong (which would be quiet normal for me : ) )

Thanks.

Posted
19 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

Yes agree, winter 09/10 a good example of this. The period immediately before christmas tends to be when the northern hemipshere enters its winter base state, just as the period before the summer solstice tends to be a time when the summer base states into situ. 

• Like 1

Posted

Not a weather expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, for some reason I feel mid to late January will bring the coldest and snowiest period of this coming winter, perhaps something similar to last winter, and with snow depths closely compared to 1987, or 1991.

Christmas will be dry and green, but will be the coldest since 2010. 

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

now, where are the shorts

h850t850eu.png

That would give us temps of 12-14 degrees i would think.Very respectable but probably wont verify!!Models are having enough trouble at T+144 atm lol!! 

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Not a weather expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, for some reason I feel mid to late January will bring the coldest and snowiest period of this coming winter, perhaps something similar to last winter, and with snow depths closely compared to 1987, or 1991.

Christmas will be dry and green, but will be the coldest since 2010. 

Just my thoughts.

Christmas dry and green but coldest since 2010 - exchange the green for white then - i.e. lots of frost. That would be good. Mind we've had a long run of mild or very mild christmas days.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Christmas dry and green but coldest since 2010 - exchange the green for white then - i.e. lots of frost. That would be good. Mind we've had a long run of mild or very mild christmas days.

Similar to the 1980s. 

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

A cold day on Christmas Day, and dry will still mean it’s a green Christmas. 

Posted

Today just highlights how rubbish the two easterlies were here in February and March. We barely managed a cm of snow in each of those events yet today with a similar but milder flow we've seen 16.4mm of rain.

It was either just very unlucky or the North Sea was too cold by then.

Posted
28 minutes ago, reef said:

Today just highlights how rubbish the two easterlies were here in February and March. We barely managed a cm of snow in each of those events yet today with a similar but milder flow we've seen 16.4mm of rain.

It was either just very unlucky or the North Sea was too cold by then.

Also shows the drastic differences a couple of hundred miles can make in our island climate. I would have thought you would have done a lot better than me! In one of the milder areas here in SE Wales and don't usually do particularly well from easterlies, but had more snow on 1st March than December 2010 here. Then a good fall a fortnight later too. Shame it all disappeared so quickly. Fingers crossed for a sustained easterly in mid Winter this year!

Posted
22 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

A cold day on Christmas Day, and dry will still mean it’s a green Christmas. 

Ok granted technically a green christmas still. I'd take a cold frosty one, with the frost lingering all day to produce a 'white' scene at least. I remember 1992 very well that was a green christmas but with lots of frost.

I'm gearing up for my thoughts on winter towards end of the week - and I see signs that the atlantic could be a very bit player this year, just as it has been since February- increasing the chances of colder conditions prevailing.