Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2018/19

syed2878

Posted

Yeah in my head I classify November as a Winter month.

As of this year, it goes Nov,Dec,Jan,Feb,Mar - winter

April, May - Spring

June, July, first part of August - Summer

2nd part of August, September, October - Autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

From now on I'm going to call January, April and September winter. February, July and August Spring. December, November and March Summer. And May, October and June autumn....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

For me:

Winter: November, December, January, February - November is dark, frosty and chilly in the day - the real beginning of Winter.  
Spring: March, April - Still cold at night and chilly by day but warming up quickly. I feel our Springs are incredibly short. 
Summer: May, June, July - May heralds the first 20C+ days which makes it feel very summery.
Autumn: August, September, October - Rapidly shortening days in August and cooler nights make it feel like the beginning of Autumn.

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted

This is just getting silly now, the thread has changed into the 'What I think the seasons should be' thread. Can we get back to discussing Winter 2018/19 and not reclassifying the seasons...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 28/10/2018 at 23:25, Mr Brown said:

What can we expect as we head into November??

We look for a cold pattern to try and take hold, LPs stalling over and/or  near us.....but we look for Scandi Heights to build.  Slow process with attempts initially failing but taking more hold second half of Nov, as I said to Noerthwestsnow, don’t hunt for too much too early.  Xmas week into New Year....I have noted as period of note.  That remains of ‘real note’ and so does Early Dec to usher in winter with a bang

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Love this time of year as Winter approaches and the anticipation grows from a coldies pov.Am always in awe of the knowledge and reading of the models by our senior members(they know who they are) which helps the less knowledgble like myself to keep on learning.I think having read quite a bit on this coming winter we are in a much more favourable position for some cold spells before xmas this year.With a weak/moderate El Nino(maybe Modoki),low sun activity bordering on dormant,a possible SSW in the making, a fairly weak Atlantic at the moment finding it difficult to make inroads against the Huge High to the East which has been there for months it seems and i think statistically we are in pretty good shape.No guarantees of course as i believe there are no such things when it comes to the weather but i do get the feeling we could be in business in terms of cold and snow this year❄️.With that will come the usual meltdown in the forums if this occurs but remember if we miss out in terms of cold and snow lets keep it civil in here guys.WE have the next 5 months to look forward to and lets hope come the end of March we will be looking back at a memorable winter if snow is your thing

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Alistair Williamson said:

Tell the newspaper reporters to stop their "Fake" weather warning forecasts now, they are driving me up the wall! Every times I read their warnings I was ready to face the storms but only to find the their forecasts were wrong!

Never rely on The Press...not in christmas pudding especially 

BFTP

Posted
On 29/10/2018 at 16:44, northwestsnow said:

While i too share some optimism i cant ignore the fact the earth is warming.

Thats not to say we cannot get cold spells of course.

Unfortunately it has since late 1987, but that doesn’t mean the UK can’t still get cold winters or cold spells. Like you say, it can still happen despite a warmer planet.

Posted
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Unfortunately it has since late 1987, but that doesn’t mean the UK can’t still get cold winters or cold spells. Like you say, it can still happen despite a warmer planet.

On the way down no though

8778B828-3E6A-4E15-B47D-1B3D609C37A9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Even in a warmer planet, we have still succeeded with the coldest December since 1890 (or coldest December/coldest month on record) and the coldest March since 1883/1962.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, BruenSryan said:

Even in a warmer planet, we have still succeeded with the coldest December since 1890 (or coldest December/coldest month on record) and the coldest March since 1883/1962.

Yes that’s right. December 2010 was the coldest, even colder than 81 in some places. 

But, something did happen to our weather in late 1987, which lead to more mild winters until 91ish. At the time the warmth seemed unprecedented, but maybe that’s because I’m not old enough to remember the mild early 70s.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
34 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes that’s right. December 2010 was the coldest, even colder than 81 in some places. 

But, something did happen to our weather in late 1987, which lead to more mild winters until 91ish. At the time the warmth seemed unprecedented, but maybe that’s because I’m not old enough to remember the mild early 70s.

I still recall being shot down in flames for saying that very same thing, back in about 2003 - by the Father of The Giant Teapot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I still recall being shot down in flames for saying that very same thing, back in about 2003 - by the Father of The Giant Teapot!

I know who the Father of the Large teapot is but not the giant, is it the same person?

Im the father of the 80s teapot!

• Thanks 1

Posted

So, did anyone take note of the warming that happened towards the end of 87? 

It seemed to coincide with the Great Storm, and the winter that followed was very mild. Christmas time was like spring that year.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It seemed to coincide with the Great Storm, and the winter that followed was very mild. Christmas time was like spring that year.

I think people just like to look for emerging patterns and links when often there isn't one. In reality, the storm of 1987 would have had no impact on the climate, not even at a local scale. It was mostly a just coincidence that it came before a spike in global temperature.

Christmas was very mild but the first half was of December '87 was cold. 

• Like 2

Posted

For me 1987 was an interesting year, we had the legendary January cold blast...and it was legendary, and the set up for the storm and angle of attack was very unusual.  I think it has a bearing

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

1987 was the year that brought the massive change from deep space.

Anyway the year ending 7/8.

1977/78 there was a great blizzard in the SW February for those old enough to remember it,winter as a whole December was very mild.

January about as cold as 2013 but was there much to remember that month,febuary as cold as last year. that great blizzard but the was more further SW.

1987/88 a pathetic winter after previous ones.

1997/98 another even more atlantic driven mild one.

2007/08 a chillier December with the return of some ice days and freezing fog from the east,otherwise jan February very mild.

2017/18 has bucked the trend to a classic winter ending in 7/8 beats all of them.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I personally doubt that year was really significant at all and the fact it was followed by a milder Winter was simply the law of averages playing out. After all there was a pretty big cluster (some much more so than others) of cold and snowy Winters preceding it and by that time it could be argued that simply at least one was long overdue. People often forget that with the exception of the last year's of the decade as well as the very start the 1970s was a decade full of mild Winters in the UK with little snow either. Also prior to the 1940s  cold and snowy Winters during the 20th century were a lot rarer than then onwards.

It should also be noted that taking the 1980s alone there were some significantly mild Winters or at least Winter periods in much of the 'cold and snowy' zones of North America much earlier than 1987. I believe the early Winters of 1982 and 1984 especially saw a couple of very mild December's in that part of the world. So it's unlikely that there was this sudden switch that was pressed in 1987 that made what would otherwise would have been just another cold Winter into a mild one for us. Besides from that we had a Winter with very cold and snowy spells in 1990/91, which was only 4 years after the previous one of 1986/87, which is hardly that long in the grand scheme of things, along with the odd one now and then throughout the 90s ( none quite as severe as that one, particularly in the south, but hardly abnormal all the same).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
4 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

1987 was the year that brought the massive change from deep space.

Anyway the year ending 7/8.

1977/78 there was a great blizzard in the SW February for those old enough to remember it,winter as a whole December was very mild.

January about as cold as 2013 but was there much to remember that month,febuary as cold as last year. that great blizzard but the was more further SW.

1987/88 a pathetic winter after previous ones.

1997/98 another even more atlantic driven mild one.

2007/08 a chillier December with the return of some ice days and freezing fog from the east,otherwise jan February very mild.

2017/18 has bucked the trend to a classic winter ending in 7/8 beats all of them.

At least 2007-08 was passable and somewhat interesting instead of complete rubbish like say 1987/88. 2007-08 had as you say freezing fog and some ice days during the mid month dry spell in December 2007, there was a brief easterly at the start of January which delivered some heavy snowfalls particularly over Northern Ireland; not sure about other regions of the UK, February was the sunniest on record (which I'll take very sunny conditions any day if I don't get the snow) and had some severe frost, March and April both had several instances of snowfalls. Found April 2008's snowfalls quite remarkable here and they were the last April snowfalls I have had since. 

• Like 1

Posted

I find it amusing and somewhat unsettling to realize that Net-weather still changes the wording of certain phrases, like we're living in Orwell's nightmare weather world. 

Just for my own amusement, I am going to type a sentence and see what Net-weather prints out for it ...

Joe Bastardi says that large teapot is just a myth like global warming and climate change, but even so, there could be a Bartlett between visits from the Beast from the East. 

edit _ well that wasn't as bad as I feared, just mod win got changed, used to be all of those phrases -- I wonder if relatively new readers or members even know about all this, or they just think large teapot is some sort of weather pattern? like a rex block. :)

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Like 3

Posted

I wonder if I type in large teapot if that will come out as large teapot? 

Okay what about moddern winnter ... (Big Brother is watching you, Roger) 

Aha !! let's try l'hiver moderne (le gros teapot)

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

I find it amusing and somewhat unsettling to realize that Net-weather still changes the wording of certain phrases, like we're living in Orwell's nightmare weather world. 

Just for my own amusement, I am going to type a sentence and see what Net-weather prints out for it ...

Joe Bastardi says that large teapot is just a myth like global warming and climate change, but even so, there could be a Bartlett between visits from the Beast from the East. 

edit _ well that wasn't as bad as I feared, just mod win got changed, used to be all of those phrases -- I wonder if relatively new readers or members even know about all this, or they just think large teapot is some sort of weather pattern? like a rex block. :)

Didn't it used to come out as 'Joe Laminate Floori'

• Like 1

Posted

I've discovered certain types of swearing are substituted, such as weeble (A.R.S.E), but what sort of other things are you talking about? For a newbie, it's not clear from your posting what the theme is. If you can be weebled, can you elaborate if there is one?

Edited by Aleman