Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Are Dining tables a thing of the past?

claret047

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Afternoon everyone.

I was recently struck on the various soaps that my wife watches that very few scenes include a dining table. In fact you rarely see anyone eating at home in any of them. Is this a common thing in the outside world or is it restricted to Soapland?

We as a family have always eaten together without the TV on so that we can talk to each other, unless there is something that it is vital we see, but I fear we are out of step with a lot of other families.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted

Hi Dave

Hope you and your family are well.

We have a dining table in our kitchen/diner - a very modern one in fact; red leather and light oak chairs; extendable table. Often have our lads around with partners and kids esp on a Sunday for roast lunch. Even yday, after picking up our 8 yr old grandson from school we all sat around the table for early eve dinner at 5.30.

Great focal point for communication, as well as good food.

Regards BB

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
    10 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Hi Dave

Hope you and your family are well.

We have a dining table in our kitchen/diner - a very modern one in fact; red leather and light oak chairs; extendable table. Often have our lads around with partners and kids esp on a Sunday for roast lunch. Even yday, after picking up our 8 yr old grandson from school we all sat around the table for early eve dinner at 5.30.

Great focal point for communication, as well as good food.

Regards BB

Yep, whenever possible we have a sit down evening meal, just the three of us now daughter has moved out. 

As you say @Bristle boy my son kicks things off by asking how was everybody's day and we each take turn on explaining the highs and lows of the day, helps to vent, and allows others in the family to understand a mood, a feeling or why one or other of us is knackered!

So for me it's an important piece of furniture that fosters good family Dynamics and communication. 

• Like 1

Posted

In my 40s  and have never really sat at a dining table to eat.  Tea time usually consists of all of us watching the telly eating off our lap.

Posted

Hmm. I have a table in my kitchen to sit 4 (family of 3) and a larger dining table that can sit 10 (I like to entertain)

Always at one or the other.

Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
    3 hours ago, weirpig said:

In my 40s  and have never really sat at a dining table to eat.  Tea time usually consists of all of us watching the telly eating off our lap.

im the same age..when i was growing up dining table then migrating to sitting in front of the tv as i got into my teens..now have worked my way back to the dining table

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
    2 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

I have a huge dining table, always use it ,people who eat on sofa are just plain lazy nogooders who should be taken off to local quarry and executed ,humanely of course ?

i thought quarries were a thing of the past?

• Like 1

Posted

Have just purchased a dining room table, albeit small.  I have never liked eating off my lap (too uncomfortable), so always eat at the table.

Posted

On the whole we sit at the kitchen table. I don’t like eating from a tray as I find you end up with canteen medals. Must be an old boy thing. 

When all the family come for a meal we eat in our detached garage (now converted). As our dining room is not big enough. All a bit of an adventure for the small grandchildren. 

Phones and tablets are banned from the table. 

Posted
    10 hours ago, Snipper said:

On the whole we sit at the kitchen table. I don’t like eating from a tray as I find you end up with canteen medals. Must be an old boy thing. 

When all the family come for a meal we eat in our detached garage (now converted). As our dining room is not big enough. All a bit of an adventure for the small grandchildren. 

Phones and tablets are banned from the table. 

In Moldova, eating at the table is a norm and quite a celebrated thing. So much so that a term for a dinner party directly translates to "the table".

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

We have always eaten as a family at the kitchen table, it's important for me that we do that as it forces us to catch up with each other.  The only meal we tend to eat elsewhere is lunch. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Yup, table for evening meals/breakfast for us!

Sandwiches can be eaten in front of the telly but main meals????

How do you even manage without redistributing it all over yourself and the furniture?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
    10 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Yup, table for evening meals/breakfast for us!

Sandwiches can be eaten in front of the telly but main meals????

How do you even manage without redistributing it all over yourself and the furniture?

easily....

huge hypocrit here. i grew up in the 60's and as a family (of 6) we always ate at the table, and i enjoyed it.

in 1972 at school in woodwork i made a large tray..... i have used that, sat in front of the telly ever since. eating whilst watching tv is a 'thing'. i use that tray daily.

we do have a table, that we use on rare occassions, crimbo for eg.

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted

When I was small we always sat at the table for dinner. 6pm every day apart from sundays at 1pm.

Hubs has a gorgeous dinner table that sat in his old house, but we use it for days such as Christmas and new years. We have trays to watch masterchef while we eat in the front room.  

However we mainly use trays because the table is normally full of school art stuff/ christmas stuff/pet stuff/ stuff. But once cleared hubs likes us to sit round it.

• Like 1

Posted
    1 hour ago, Dami said:

When I was small we always sat at the table for dinner. 6pm every day apart from sundays at 1pm.

Hubs has a gorgeous dinner table that sat in his old house, but we use it for days such as Christmas and new years. We have trays to watch masterchef while we eat in the front room.  

However we mainly use trays because the table is normally full of school art stuff/ christmas stuff/pet stuff/ stuff. But once cleared hubs likes us to sit round it.

Same here. we have a dining table  which is used for Christmas.  But other than that its just a place we use to dump school gear etc.

Posted
  • Location: just behind Epsom Racecourse and the center of York
  • Location: just behind Epsom Racecourse and the center of York

hope not just bought a nice new expensive one!!!