Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Least favourite weather events

Posted

The 2010`s were much better overall than the 2000`s for summers,winters/springs especially that is for hugely disturbing destructive dramatic weather and much more snowfall and the kitchen sink.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 18:04, Thundery wintry showers said:

Those relentlessly dull "easterly" months when I was living in Tyneside, with temperatures hovering around 3-5C, a big wind chill effect and stratocumulus trapped underneath a cap.  December 2002 takes the wooden spoon award from this point of view.  January and March 1996 were similar and were even more exceptionally dull than December 2002 but their snow events saved them from taking the wooden spoon award.

Didn't you get any snow towards the end of January 1996.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Sept 2018..the constant cold and snow in what should be the best month of the year..hoping for a warm October 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Sept 2018..the constant cold and snow in what should be the best month of the year..hoping for a warm October 

me too

Posted

So far of the last few years

2018: The period from the second week of March until the beginning, very wet, dull, cold. The beast from the east was fantastic but the period after was woeful hoped for a good spell of warm, settled weather. Although nothing prolonged until the middle of May.

2017: July-October was a huge bore fest, being cloudy, wet and often windy. August never exceeded 23.C and September failed to exceed 20.C, October was generally mild and dry (boring) although the warmth midmonth was impressive as well as a northerly in the last week.

2016: June for being cloudy, wet and humid

2015: That awful cold, wet and windy May and July.

2014: The majority of the year aside from a very good July.

2013: A very interesting year. Nothing that I don’t like 

2012: Hideous April/summer.

2011: Plain dull and boring 

2009/2010: were fantastic weatherwise 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
On 23/09/2018 at 14:39, Snowyowl9 said:

Is that because you missed out on the snow or it was too cold,I`m thinking the first one,I don`t know what Ireland got that march.

Kind of a combination of both along with the fact it was so dull. The maximum daily sunshine I had throughout the entire month was only 6 hours which was a new record low for Dublin (using Dublin Airport records). March is a time of year when I hope for calm, Spring days with good sunny spells and severe frost overnight (2010 and 2011 were perfect examples here). March 2013 was just persistently cold, wet, dull, awful mess. I was really unlucky in terms of the snow; I barely got anything in January 2013 either. March 2018 gave me A LOT of snow though.

Edited by BruenSryan

Posted

Aside from the usual winter 2013/14 which was the only completely snowless winter here I'll have to go for the two cold spells at the end of February and mid-March this year.

Two potent easterlies with sub -15C 850hPa temps which should be the best setup for bucketloads of snow here and we barely had 0.5cm both times. In both events the showers just completely missed us to the north and south. It was perhaps the biggest disappointment with the weather I can remember.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
20 hours ago, reef said:

Aside from the usual winter 2013/14 which was the only completely snowless winter here I'll have to go for the two cold spells at the end of February and mid-March this year.

Two potent easterlies with sub -15C 850hPa temps which should be the best setup for bucketloads of snow here and we barely had 0.5cm both times. In both events the showers just completely missed us to the north and south. It was perhaps the biggest disappointment with the weather I can remember.

Meanwhile, this was my area on 2 March and Kildare on the same day. The east of Ireland was spoiled for snow during that spell. Could have shared with a lot of people and still have a good dusting. What you described sounds like March 2013 here.

42543858_658367924562746_8320800069943033856_n.thumb.jpg.953964294cecce937e4170fc4372f9c7.jpg795881222_0689025_C_53_B7_4951_A713_61_A61_C148_E4_B(1).thumb.jpg.3ed5fb49f5f72c1e56370d64cd83b671.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
On 24/09/2018 at 23:43, Harry233 said:

So far of the last few years

2018: The period from the second week of March until the beginning, very wet, dull, cold. The beast from the east was fantastic but the period after was woeful hoped for a good spell of warm, settled weather. Although nothing prolonged until the middle of May.

2017: July-October was a huge bore fest, being cloudy, wet and often windy. August never exceeded 23.C and September failed to exceed 20.C, October was generally mild and dry (boring) although the warmth midmonth was impressive as well as a northerly in the last week.

2016: June for being cloudy, wet and humid

2015: That awful cold, wet and windy May and July.

2014: The majority of the year aside from a very good July.

2013: A very interesting year. Nothing that I don’t like 

2012: Hideous April/summer.

2011: Plain dull and boring 

2009/2010: were fantastic weatherwise 

Agree with 2009 and 2010, lots of seasonal weather despite the rather lacklustre summers - not devoid of warm sunny dry weather at times. Excellent winters with cold and snow. Good autumns as well, dry cold at times and frosty with sunshine.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Location South East Ireland

As a cold and snow lover, Feb 1998 and the Bartlett High that seemed to hang around for the whole month bringing very mild conditions after what had already been a poor winter up to then cold and snow wise.

If I recall correctly I think winter 88/89 saw a lot of this type of Bartlett High type weather also. People out walking in t shirts in mid winter in temperatures of 13 or 14 degrees C just doesn't seem right.

The run of very mild and wet winters through most of the noughties and again from 2103/2014 to 2016/2017. Some of those summer's were wash outs too.

The easterly of late Feb 2005 which was the first proper easterly blast here since around New Year 1997. We do well from easterlies at my location and while we had several days and nights with snow showers in that spell, it was not perticularly cold despite what on paper looked like stunning synoptics, with snow settling at night but thawing readily each morning with temperatures reaching + 3 or 4 degrees C each day. Disappointing as we had waited 8 years for the beast to make a comeback but it turned out to be more like a kitty cat and a bit of a damp squib.

Late Feb 2001 - after a poor few years snow wise, a weather front with snow developed over the east of Ireland with heavy snow falling and accumulating  for about 36 hours. The front stretched from the east coast of Northern Ireland down through Dublin and the South East but stopped literally  a mile or so  just to the north of me. The blanket of snow clouds just refused to budge but were close enough to just produce flurries here in the strong north east wind, while areas just a few minutes away to my north and east got buried. I could see the heavy snow falling in the distance all day and what looked like a weather God giving me the two fingers ha. I had no lying snow IMBY but didn't have far to bring the kids for their snow fix, literally just had to walk across a few fields but remember being very disappointed just the same.

Finally August 1998. The 6pm Weather forecast that Bank Holiday Sunday showed a continuation of the warm settled weather and the TV forecaster explained that an active depression ln the satelite image just to the south west of Ireland would sink south eastwards with the associated heavy rain not making landfall. I headed in to town in a t shirt to an outdoor festival. About 10pm the heavens opened with torrential rain and it rained heavily non stop for about 48 hours causing widespread flooding here. I and all the other festival goers got soaked but needless to say we retired to the pubs to drown our sorrows. Met Eireann had egg on their face with that one and were at pains to point out the next day that the weather system unexpectedly veered northeastwards soon after they produced the forecast. The system then became slow moving , drenching Southern Ireland in its wake. 

Bottled Snow  

Edited by Bottled Snow

Posted
On 23/09/2018 at 15:00, Quicksilver1989 said:

Exceptionally mild Christmas periods I find depressing as it is totally out of season. The worst being December 2015, honorable mentions go to December 2016, 2013 and 2002.

Borderline snow events that just fall as rain. February 2005's failed snow event was particularly annoying. December 2008 and March 2001 also had a few here.

Excessively wet summer days that don't have any sunshine. Showery weather I can deal with but relentingly dull weather is just wasting summer. June 2007 and June 2012 come to my mind.

Looking forward to the start of late spring warmth but ending up with a cold and miserable mess. April to Mid May 2012 were especially grim as was April 2000.

Failed thundery breakdowns, especially those with high CAPE values. June 2011 was particularly bad were we had one day of 33C to be followed by a major cooldown that was accompanied by the odd breeze. Last year also saw a few letdowns.

Jewel in the crown for awful British weather though? Winter 2013/14 closely followed by December 2015.

All those mild winter events, and I would like to add December 1987, and December 1989 to that list. Mild boring months, plus Christmas Day 1987 felt almost like a summer day in London that year, I remember it. Probably the first time I noticed unusual weather for a season.

2002, and 1997 were dreadful years for weather. Just lots of mucky cloudy weather, mild wet spells and cooler cloudy periods, and a lack of sun. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

May 1991 is one of my least favourites, due to its dry, calm, cool and persistently dull and overcast weather, as high pressure got stuck over or near Scotland. 

Similar conditions also characterised the following winter, especially January and late February 1992, with the high sitting over southern Scandinavia quite often, and resulting bland, overcast and hazy conditions resulting. 

Other least favourites include the cloudy, cool, breezy westerly summers of 1987, 1998 and 2011. The awful soggy period of mid April to mid December 2012. The cold May of 1996. The rather drab 2000 summer. The dull, close month of August 2002, and cool, wet cloudy August 2008. And the flat, boring year that was 2015, with prolonged westerly or north-westerly winds, bringing a lot of breezy and cloudy weather with not much proper soaking rain for the gardens 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns
On 29/09/2018 at 17:09, reef said:

The 2013-14 winter, though mild and wet, was IMO surreal, due to its unusually frequent and violent storminess, coupled with well above average sunshine - one of the sunniest winters on record I believe. This especially turbulent winter lacked cold and snow for many (and here in Portland, Dorset never fell below 4 c!) but was not exceptionally mild either. It was certainly exceptionally wet and extremely windy and very sunny, which in my book doesn't make it a 'usual winter'. :)

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Anything that involves strong winds is a big no-no for me, so that would be the winter of 2013-14 at the very least.  I also remember a nasty windy spell early in 2012 (February?) and in February 1997 - having to replace damaged fence panels is no fun.  (dis) Honourable mention to the atrociously wet, mild weather in December 2015.

Edited by SJ NM
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 23/09/2018 at 15:00, Quicksilver1989 said:

Exceptionally mild Christmas periods I find depressing as it is totally out of season. The worst being December 2015, honorable mentions go to December 2016, 2013 and 2002.

Borderline snow events that just fall as rain. February 2005's failed snow event was particularly annoying. December 2008 and March 2001 also had a few here.

Excessively wet summer days that don't have any sunshine. Showery weather I can deal with but relentingly dull weather is just wasting summer. June 2007 and June 2012 come to my mind.

Looking forward to the start of late spring warmth but ending up with a cold and miserable mess. April to Mid May 2012 were especially grim as was April 2000.

Failed thundery breakdowns, especially those with high CAPE values. June 2011 was particularly bad were we had one day of 33C to be followed by a major cooldown that was accompanied by the odd breeze. Last year also saw a few letdowns.

Jewel in the crown for awful British weather though? Winter 2013/14 closely followed by December 2015.

many of these, one I especially remember was March 2001, way before my internet days, just bbc tv, but they promised loads of snow, just rain

archives-2001-3-20-12-0.pngarchives-2001-3-21-12-0.png

• Like 1

Posted

Another one, the promised snowfest of 9th/10th Jan 2010, just drizzle, what was wrong here? too early in season? crappy area/elevation

archives-2010-1-9-12-1.pngarchives-2010-1-10-0-1.pngarchives-2010-1-10-0-0.png

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Anything exceptionally wet and windy - winter 2013/14 the worst, particularly unseasonal weather in the Christmas holidays, and having our chimney blown off the roof on New Year's Day was the last straw.  Don't recall much sunshine here either, but in the far west of Wales south-westerlies tend to be dull and showery.  Also summers 2008 and 2012 for the incessant rainfall and lack of any sunshine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

many of these, one I especially remember was March 2001, way before my internet days, just bbc tv, but they promised loads of snow, just rain

archives-2001-3-20-12-0.pngarchives-2001-3-21-12-0.png

Really interesting as further south here it was a mainly snow event, even though the accumulation was already melting as the snow stopped and by midnight on the 20th/21st half of it had already gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Anything wet & windy; as a cyclist that really is the most miserable of weather. Having bought a new bike at the end of October 2015, I was hoping for some decent cycling weather during the weekends for the rest of the year. Right.....

I remember making a note that almost every weekend from end of October 15 to beginning of Jan 16 had wet & windy weather; great! Not much chance of any 2-3 hours rides in that weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Wet and windy at any time of year is the worst weather. 

Off the top of my head, the worst winters: the entire run from 2013/14 to 2016/17, 1997/98, 1998/99. 

Worst summers: 2008, 2007, 1998. 

Edited by danm
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 22/09/2018 at 17:51, Snowyowl9 said:

Why did I put wouldn't it was interesting typo.

That sounds like an interesting weather event, in what was afterwards a very mild and very dry December 1988 for much of the UK

Edited by Portland Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Maybe someone can help me out here..im going back a long time..to when i loved cold and snow..i faked illness to get a day of school because heavy snow had been forecast..i sat looking out the window all day..reading the weather forecast in the paper over and over and nothing happened eventually it got dark and then as if by magic it started to rain and the disappointment was sickening..im not sure but i think it was either January or February 1980..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 23:24, Portland Paul said:

The 2013-14 winter, though mild and wet, was IMO surreal, due to its unusually frequent and violent storminess, coupled with well above average sunshine - one of the sunniest winters on record I believe. This especially turbulent winter lacked cold and snow for many (and here in Portland, Dorset never fell below 4 c!) but was not exceptionally mild either. It was certainly exceptionally wet and extremely windy and very sunny, which in my book doesn't make it a 'usual winter'.

Mountains in Highland Scotland had some of deepest snow ever recorded but there was virtually no snow below 1500ft.

• Like 1