Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Least favourite weather events

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Any weather events where it has rained constantly on Christmas Day. Not the day I’d want to see that sort of weather. 

Last time I think it happened was a few years back. 

There was also that Boxing Day snow event (December 2014 I think) that ended up being a bit of a sleety mess, which was kinda depressing. 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Adding Xtra Info
  • Thanks 1

Posted

10 Aug 2003 (and most of Aug 2003, except the 9th)

1st July 2015

Most of winter 2009-10

4 Feb 2012

Just from a local point of view, those...

Really exceptional rain totals are interesting in a masochistic kind of way, so are extreme wind speeds, and I love thunderstorms. The worst things are steady moderate/rain for hours/days or prolonged sunless spells. Particularly in the warm months when they disrupt things that prefer decent weather. I've been to wash out weddings, mudbath camping trips and summer days at the beach with the sky murkier than the sea.... And many memories of rained off sports days and matches at school.

That mass of murky cloud that I drove all the way to Devon to see in August 1999 has a special place in my hate list. I hope I will get to see a total solar eclipse someday, somewhere.....

• Thanks 1

Posted

The ridiculously warm December of 2015 - it felt more like Easter Day than Christmas Day with the high temperatures.

June 2012 and it's rainfest.

October 2014 with the ridiculous heat in the half-term week. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

December 1988 because it sticks in my memory more.

Wet snow events of a foot that wrecks trees,that was December 1988 too.

Yesterday I wouldn`t count as that was interesting.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Winters 2013/2014, 2014/2015, 2015/2016, 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 were all too mild and wet and stormy for my liking.  Summers 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018 have also been too hot and muggy.  Autumns 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 and 2018 have all been too warm and often wet.  Springs 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 have also been too mild and often wet for me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

March 2013.... no other competition even comes close to that for me. 

Posted
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:40, Snowyowl9 said:

December 1988 because it sticks in my memory more.

Wet snow events of a foot that wrecks trees,that was December 1988 too.

Yesterday I wouldn`t count as that was interesting.

Why did I put wouldn't it was interesting typo.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Those relentlessly dull "easterly" months when I was living in Tyneside, with temperatures hovering around 3-5C, a big wind chill effect and stratocumulus trapped underneath a cap.  December 2002 takes the wooden spoon award from this point of view.  January and March 1996 were similar and were even more exceptionally dull than December 2002 but their snow events saved them from taking the wooden spoon award.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Ay, also failed snow events too, 8th Dec 2017 the most recent, 1 foot at Telford/Shrops, 0.5cm here

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
38 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Ay, also failed snow events too, 8th Dec 2017 the most recent, 1 foot at Telford/Shrops, 0.5cm here

Yep I think it was showing a big dump up here too but in the end it kept getting pushed south. Still at least the rest of the Winter and March made up for it. 

Posted

14th Jan 2013, over a foot in E Midlands, nothing here, was mild enough to thaw the snow from the day before

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:26, BruenSryan said:

March 2013.... no other competition even comes close to that for me. 

Is that because you missed out on the snow or it was too cold,I`m thinking the first one,I don`t know what Ireland got that march.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Exceptionally mild Christmas periods I find depressing as it is totally out of season. The worst being December 2015, honorable mentions go to December 2016, 2013 and 2002.

Borderline snow events that just fall as rain. February 2005's failed snow event was particularly annoying. December 2008 and March 2001 also had a few here.

Excessively wet summer days that don't have any sunshine. Showery weather I can deal with but relentingly dull weather is just wasting summer. June 2007 and June 2012 come to my mind.

Looking forward to the start of late spring warmth but ending up with a cold and miserable mess. April to Mid May 2012 were especially grim as was April 2000.

Failed thundery breakdowns, especially those with high CAPE values. June 2011 was particularly bad were we had one day of 33C to be followed by a major cooldown that was accompanied by the odd breeze. Last year also saw a few letdowns.

Jewel in the crown for awful British weather though? Winter 2013/14 closely followed by December 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A bit like Quicksilver1989, any event that is completely unseasonal I dislike! Some examples:

2018 - Sunday 29th July, Sunday 12th August and Sunday 26th August. All summer soakers, inappropriately timed for a Sunday each time, the latter two on the Bristol Balloon Fiesta and Bank Holiday respectively.

2017 - 09th-12th February failed easterly - the potential was there for a snowfall but instead we just got bitter winds, a few hours of very light snow and days of greyness

2016 - The mildness in mid December leading up to Christmas in which it felt like spring, and the Atlantic weather in late January and early February

2015 - November and December quite simply. Late August and that low pressure on June 01st were also weather low points for me. Dull, cool and wet. June 01st and December 25th achieved the same temperature profile that year!

2014 - Ex-Bertha and the ruination of what could've been a good August, confirming a good summer overall. The spring was also largely boring that year.

2013-2014 Winter - all of it!

2012 - Most of the March-mid July period. March was too much like May and April/May was too much like March. June was horrific and the first two thirds of July were painfully dull. At least later July and August were better. The Christmas period was also painful.

2011 - February, after the cold December and January. May & June were also poor. November was also annoyingly mild but at least sunny when the temperatures were high.

2010 - The cold first half of May and the dull/often wet August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

2009 - The abhorrent weather throughout July after the heatwave. November was also a bit much even though I like stormy weather in November.

2008 - The tropical feel to some of the nights in January, a good swathe of July and all of August

2007 - Most of the year lol. Horrible January, horrible May, naff second half of June and all of July. It was a kick how settled autumn was after the unsettled summer.

2006 - The cloudy August after a brilliant summer so far, and the mildness of December

2005 - The boringness of the Atlantic setup in the first half of January, the disappointing amounts of snow despite synoptics in February and the very mild feel in early November. Other than that, I liked this year as a year for weather more than many.

2004 - The disappointing late June to mid July period, too much rain in the second half of August, very boring November

2003 - The unsettled spell at the end of July

2002 - Again, most of the year! January to March were cack, May was largely awful with a lot of frontal rain, June and July were disappointingly cloudy, November was abhorrently wet (much less interestingly so than 2009) and to finalise things, the cold spell in December which could've been something special turned out rather disappointing and Christmas was springlike!

Posted

Least favourite weather events? I look at it from the view of the event hitting you full whack and not an event that only partially affected you or failed because that is a failed weather event. 

Least favourite weather events are severe gales, the least favourite of them being storm Kyrill and the Christmas Eve gale of 1997.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I didn`t know there was a name to that shocker of a storm,agreed that was just too much.

Looking at the pretty relentless winter of 2013/14 have to agree as that was very disturbed and very wet too with plenty of flooding.

December 2013... 2 days with snow falling.

January 8 or 9 days snow falling,1 day with a flash of lightning,flooding end of the month.

February severe gales more flooding.major wind storm on the 12th.

Feb 13th was the best day of the whole winter for me well morning anyway with drifting snow from the west,and 2 inches of snow on the 11th. 

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Any weather event that involves above average temperatures I hate, the colder, and snowier are the best, regardless of time of year, I would rather we had a 15c -ve temperature anomaly consistently for the next 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The endless monsoon and lack of sun during summer 2012 (right after they announced the hosepipe ban lol) or the relentless storms of winter 2013/2014.

Can't make my mind up which was worse, they were both pretty disgusting.

• Like 1

Posted

As I said in earlier post, one of mine was 24-25 Sept '12, the anniversary to the day tomorrow, average once in 5-6 year event, 

just clipped that as my least favourite event, 6 years later, 20-21 Sept '18

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Winter 13-14 was just horrendous. The most snow free Winter I can remember around here. Only had 1 dusting of snow one evening in the February which was gone by late morning the next day. A real let down considering how great the previous Winter was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Winter 13-14 was just horrendous. The most snow free Winter I can remember around here. Only had 1 dusting of snow one evening in the February which was gone by late morning the next day. A real let down considering how great the previous Winter was.

Agree with everything - the dusting had gone off the roads even sooner than that here - farmers drive tractors around here (spoilsports) because once an event has started, they know oldam council wont bother going over the tops and risking getting stuck. Just one thing though, although 12-13 was very good in terms of frequency of events, there still wasn't a really big dumping in one go, plus the THAT ECM event or non-event will probably mean that although its in my top 10 of all time, a bit like last year will go down as how amazing it could have been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

For anyone who lived through ex Hurricane Charley over the August Bank Holiday in 1986 will confirm - it was the WORST Bank holiday on record. I remember at the age of 12 that we were due to go to Torquay for the day but not a chance. Absolutely awful day with some people killed.

In fact any wet Bank Holiday is a bust in my eyes. 

Whilst I lived through the proper cold of December 2010 and the ice- we had only 1 light snowfall the whole time here. In fact that melted, refroze, melted , refroze. If you look at that snow covered UK spot the green section and yup that’s where I was. Netweather members loved it, Plymouthians shook their heads at the sheer misfortune of it totally missing us.

Summer 2012 was awful - never got going and was known as the 1 BBQ summer. End of July 2007 washout was the time of my honeymoon in Bournemouth just an awful holiday (guess whose divorced now :) ) 

Edited by philglossop