Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn 2018

Posted

ECM clusters continue to suggest something cooler for the final third of October

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018101100_288.

... but I'm not waxing lyrical about it getting much colder yet, as HLB still looks fairly elusive - much bigger anomalies needed than the ones shown.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean indicates a pretty unsettled outlook, especially further north. There is some ebb and flow of the azores high / ridge and lower heights to the nw / n further ahead but next week looks widely unsettled with lows frequently moving in off the atlantic and looking through the postage stamps, there is some snow potential for higher parts of the north at times and for it to be cold enough at times for frosts during the quieter interludes between atlantic systems and perhaps more so across the south because the south has a higher chance of longer calmer periods beyond next week whereas the further north you are looks breezier / windier and more unsettled generally.☺

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
6 hours ago, Newberryone said:

This was a very brave call BFTP considering the latest Ecm run which I’ve just addressed in my previous post. 

We see how it develops, it wasn’t meant as instantaneous change, let’s see how it pans out

regards

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GFS FI is an absolute rip-snorter, a stonking ginormous trough dropping into mainland Europe with a destroyed PV and 4 wave pattern.

• Like 8

Posted

Even after the year we've had, most bonkers charts of the year award surely goes to this Saturday morning. On the AROME, the nighttime temperature doesn't go below 20 degrees in many places!!!

Would that be the warmest night of the entire year? 

ARPEGE now going for a 26C high in E Anglia on Saturday. Get the BBQ out! :)

• Like 2

Posted

Wow what a wintry late october on the Gfs 12z operational..yes it's deep FI but it's also a recurring theme so hopefully it's on to something!..snow in october would be fantastic!!:cold-emoji:❄️☃️ 

12_360_preciptype.png

12_372_mslp850.png

12_372_preciptype.png

12_372_naptypemslp.png

12_372_mslp500arc.png

12_384_ukthickness850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Even after the year we've had, most bonkers charts of the year award surely goes to this Saturday morning. On the AROME, the nighttime temperature doesn't go below 20 degrees in many places!!!

Would that be the warmest night of the entire year? 

ARPEGE now going for a 26C high in E Anglia on Saturday. Get the BBQ out! :)

No, not here on the south Wales coast anyway, my weather station recorded quite a lot of nights in June and the first half of July when the temperature fell no lower than 20C, there was far more of these muggy nights this Summer than we've had during the last few Summers 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GFS FI is an absolute rip-snorter, a stonking ginormous trough dropping into mainland Europe with a destroyed PV and 4 wave pattern.

Yes it is and the control is at it as well,i know it's just for fun but they do keep on showing it,strong signal!!!

gfs/control 12z

gfsnh-0-384.thumb.png.78767425aee61807357df75c4484a0ae.pnggensnh-0-1-384.thumb.png.08b43f972806abebf277661c6490496d.png

this mornings 06z para not interested though.

a steady trend to cooler temps from the latest gefs ens

London,my local and scotland

graphe_ens3_ltx0.thumb.gif.a424c9660a91f635745774d81c595298.gifgraphe_ens3_ljm6.thumb.gif.0253e7e816c6f3eb89882503fc05e67c.gifgraphe_ens3_reu6.thumb.gif.382d3b306837ef06fb3e6f516404852f.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
spell correction and added info
  • Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes it is and the control is at it as well,i know it's just for fun but they do keep on showing it,strong signal!!!

gfs/control 12z

And p8 brings the -8c isotherm into play.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And p8 brings the -8c isotherm into play.

Indeed..P8 is a cracker!!❄❄❄❄❄❄️⛄

8_318_2mtmpmax.png

8_318_850tmp.png

snow_318_ps_slp.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

8_318_2mtmpmax.png

8_318_850tmp.png

snow_318_ps_slp.png

If that verifies, it may even bring my 10c CET forecast back into play even though I had written it off before the month had started.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
14 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

If that verifies, it may even bring my 10c CET forecast back into play even though I had written it off before the month had started.

CET....I'm with ya, looking at the 850's anom your dead right certainly is looking well, well below the average :cold:

image.thumb.png.ff2ad8f1d254ac55c83a1450649f1633.png

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

CET....I'm with ya, looking at the 850's anom your dead right certainly is looking well, well below the average :cold:

image.thumb.png.ff2ad8f1d254ac55c83a1450649f1633.png

Yes, although I would already be so far out by that stage, it would need a run of days like that to make my original prediction come true.

• Thanks 1

Posted

The Ecm 12z is a generally unsettled run, especially further north. There is plenty of low pressure separated by weak transient ridging and saturday is the last of the very warm days, beyond that looks much more chilly with only short-lived milder interludes.

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

ECM starting to @CatchMyDrift as well!!!!!!!

ECH1-240_nlv3.GIF

Not a bad 240 chart that from the ecm,pv relocated to Siberia on that run with a pocket of height's from Svalbard to Greenland,i would love to of seen a 264hr chart and prob be a stonking one with the Azures high joining up with that HL block to the north,ok i am getting carried away but we all have feelings:D

• Like 6

Posted

Ok we have looked at the 500mb preasure charts from the gfs/gefs in fl of which was stonking enough but what i like better is the 500mb geopotential height anomoly's esp the gefs control out to 384.

gfs/control

gfsnh-12-384.thumb.png.a68f448e598cdba31da094aff400a3d8.pnggensnh-0-5-384.thumb.png.ff40fdfc4db4290b3c521adc0fb5df5a.png

HLB(high latitude blocking) esp the control but the gfs isn't bad either,atlantic blocked?

some subtile shift's from the latest cpc 500mb outlook 6-10 and 8-14 days with some sort of ridge forming in the atlantic, a cool west to northwesterly and also to note is that there is a trough dropping down into mainland europe down the eastern side of the uk with a block still evident to our east over central east Scandinavia up into Svalbard and into the pole,a day a two ago the cpc outlook was showing a SW'ly regime,how things can change,will this be right,watch this space.

610day_03.thumb.gif.6706bbd823bf2bf53c3df28deda86404.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.9767905b7fe20345ffe6503bf0a7cba7.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Me too nick,there is plenty of time to get the prozak's out lol

wasn't it Nov2009 or 2010 the we had a very warm start then the floodgates opened

i sense the same happening,extremes in weather are happening more and more of late.

I think last March showed anything is possible . It was crazy seeing sub zero daytime temps then. As for Prozac it’s an essential part of the UK snow lovers survival kit ! Looking forward in terms of tonight’s outputs an early test for the models re that area to the ne .

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm sensing a possibility of snow over Scottish mountains, during the extended outlook; some wind, rain and unpleasant temperatures look likely too...I can hardly wait!

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think last March showed anything is possible . It was crazy seeing sub zero daytime temps then. As for Prozac it’s an essential part of the UK snow lovers survival kit ! Looking forward in terms of tonight’s outputs an early test for the models re that area to the ne .

The chemist's are working overtime after last march's sellout lol

my survival kit is on here:D

great forum and i wouldn't be without you guys

the rollercoaster starts here and i am looking foreward to it:D

like you say,it's been a pretty quick year(don't know why),maybe the summer has been that good to get outdoors and enjoy the weather and the morale has been good with it.

an exceptional year this year in terms of fine weather,the same next year?

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm sensing a possibility of snow over Scottish mountains, during the extended outlook; some wind, rain and unpleasant temperatures look likely too...I can hardly wait!

We have to endure the endurance of the atlantic to be paid off with the beast from the east.it's Autumn:)

Posted
2 hours ago, Frosty. said:

8_318_2mtmpmax.png

8_318_850tmp.png

snow_318_ps_slp.png

Frosty have you done our annual flip from "heat seeker" to "coldie" yet? I'm still just about in heat mode - can't see my serious chances of early season cold, ensembles are generally a bit too flat, but any more ensembles like this one and I think I might be ready for my personal "flip" too :)

• Like 4

Posted

The EC 46 is late tonight. anyone got the details please?

EDIT : no its not - im getting ahead of myself, thinking we are in November.

Edited by feb1991blizzard