Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn 2018

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I see ECM brings the remains of Leslie past the west of Ireland however the exact track differs widely from Model to Model and run to run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Morning all. A bit of a frustrated post this one until the new winter moaning thread opens ! Charts seem to be heading for a full usual October Bore Fest for much of Euroland. I hate October, weather wise, usually a month of nothingness, especially in Central Europe. Another 15 days under a warm high will test my patients to the limit. Counting the days for real cold and snow to establish on the mountain.  A trip to Canada beckons for some seasonal variety !

C

ECM1-240.gif

Further to the above post as @Northernlights has just reminded me, a mild dry October is just great for the farming community. Its just from a meteorological point of view , I find this set a bit of a bore. Having said that, its like summer again this morning in the mountains and the fine weather is helping with the final stages of the construction of our new gondola, well ahead of finishing time. Yes, the cows still grazing on the upper slopes with snow cover back up to over 2500m.

C

43172463_1934058893375055_7888105973414363136_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Really quiet in here..anyway this from the Ecm 12z would certainly blow the cobwebs away...very autumnal indeed!:shok:

ECM1-216.gif

but thankfully all change on 00Z!

ECM1-192.GIF?05-12

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Not quite! ECM 00z clusters:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018100500_216.

Cluster 1 still has the trough very dominant...as it’s still 35% I’d say it’s not clear cut at all yet. Cluster 2 and 3 are much better, so let’s hope we get that outcome rather than gales and heavy rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Urgh, I've got a week off from the 14th to 21st October and I'm hoping to do stuff outdoors... the last nice week I want before entering cold ramping mode....

Whereas the 00z was absolutely fantastic, the 06z..... well lets toss it in the bin and hope it never shows up again eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

In all this current mildness I should know better but looking at FI for a probable (not) Icelandic origination chill around the 18th.

h500slp.thumb.png.317f25e72b9d852ef5a16cfd0480e6fa.png

h500sffffffffffffflp.thumb.png.264624d4484f94b17ffe1cff7edc1323.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
43 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

In all this current mildness I should know better but looking at FI for a probable (not) Icelandic origination chill around the 18th.

h500slp.thumb.png.317f25e72b9d852ef5a16cfd0480e6fa.png

h500sffffffffffffflp.thumb.png.264624d4484f94b17ffe1cff7edc1323.png

Nice to see heights up towards Svalbard, heading into Greenland (yellows and oranges ). Low pressure heading into mainland Europe is good too (trying to undercut)

If only it would appear in the reliable!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Nice to see heights up towards Svalbard, heading into Greenland (yellows and oranges ). Low pressure heading into mainland Europe is good too (trying to undercut)

If only it would appear in the reliable!!

Please, no? A 'cracking' spell of cold and windy filth, with an outside chance of sleet, might be in store...:help::D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Further down the road with the ensembles, a small chance of something cooler after mid month on cluster 2 if a high can establish itself to our NE. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018100500_300.

Still a massive westerly wind burst in the east Pacific for the forseeable. Although this time of year can mean low pressure wins, i would still bet on pressure being dominant to our north and east with some type of undercut tried.

Cluster 3 looks very wrong to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GEM 12z shows probably the most optimistic solution of those on the table for a late blast of summer heat next weekend, here at T192:

image.thumb.jpg.7ea7471d28c399adcdc7ae6399db697b.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7390fbc9a255fb4da8da01761e3328b1.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Wow there are some really warm charts on offer this evening for next week.

With uppers commonly above 10C for most from midweek onwards, there could be some very impressive temps with perhaps some records threatened.

The ECM is quite incredible for next weekend. The chart for Sunday shows 14C uppers over eastern Scotland. In that setup you'd fancy places like Aboyne to do very well with a chance of 25C being reached.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

There's plenty of unseasonably warm weather on the Ecm 12z..not really october like..more summer like at times..nice ending too!

96_mslp850.png

96_thickuk.png

120_mslp850.png

120_thickuk.png

192_mslp850.png

216_mslp850.png

216_thickuk.png

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
2 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

GEM 12z shows probably the most optimistic solution of those on the table for a late blast of summer heat next weekend, here at T192:

image.thumb.jpg.7ea7471d28c399adcdc7ae6399db697b.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7390fbc9a255fb4da8da01761e3328b1.jpg

And not just Gem, for the 12z Ecm is singing from a similar hymn sheet with tentative signs of the block to the east winning the battle for now at least against the Atlantic. What was only 24 hours ago showing something really autumnal for the backend of next week has now switched to conditions akin to late Summer as opposed to late Autumn. Something I gather that will displease many on here who like myself are yearning for something more turbulent. 

• Like 2

Posted

Quite a bit of chopping and changing on show from the models for the medium term at the moment - swinging from the atlantic gaining the upper hand and back again to the ridge dominating.. alas don't be surprised to see a swing back to the trough scenario - ex hurricane leslie and how it interacts with the jet is causing the uncertainty - a warm southerly might quickly be exchanged by a cold cyclonic period as the storm system undercuts and heads into central europe.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Seeing some of the warm charts, such as that 12Z ECMWF later next week, it would almost feel like Hotober.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Lol

sorry i am late to the party(just got in from work)but the 12z gfs keeps Hurricane Leslie spiraling around the Atlantic for all of it's run,infact at the end of the run it's in a very similar place to the 168hrs

gfsnh-0-168.thumb.png.fe4e9c0e72dbcca9308b343429efff9c.pnggfsnh-0-384.thumb.png.d242a6d703c5ef7bb55621aff81647db.pngtempresult_qme1.thumb.gif.07105a2b5ebc913ddbd9fef41cbeefd7.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted

The 18z gfs illutrates trough disruption to the west/southwest of the uk sending lows on a NW>SE trajectory in it's latter stages thanks to a block to the NE in Scandinavia and we have a black hole anomoly as early as t204

gfsnh-12-204.thumb.png.33855e9c318b54c55ca9586c657bb725.pngtempresult_wka6.thumb.gif.3ff3a094ca38bf6747ffcef307e5a778.giftempresult_dmi2.thumb.gif.2d4abd89c9c7d765ffb1ffa1a8c1cbde.gif

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=204&code=0&mode=12&carte=1

i know this is early days but i would like to see this happen come the winter months

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Well if people want a cold start to winter, the charts showing today (i'm looking specifically at the 12z and 18z GFS) are pretty on point.

Huge blocking to the E and NE which is enabling the trop vortex to remain perturbed.

The next thing we'd want to see after this is some pressure from the Canadian vortex pushing a trough ESE across the Atlantic, this troughing not making it much further E than the meridian (with HP remaining to the ENE). Once we get to this point, we're in November 2009 territory...

Can we get there, that's the question? However, the modelling is looking very closely aligned to EC seasonal thus far...

Ha! just posted and minds alike:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Benign, settled and, dare I say it, seasonally above average temperatures on offer from the models for around the 13th October according to these charts:

ECM +192      image.thumb.gif.ef7615b72413e357d6c4d07c2fba14ae.gif

The continental air is relatively warm and dry with almost all of the European continent rain-free:

GFS    image.thumb.png.21adb8bb24931ef721582888adfdd103.png   image.thumb.png.fe68fbfa6efa9be66d99764303b83320.png

GEM agrees:

image.thumb.png.a460590b06c13a51bbc00903c5758880.png   image.thumb.png.b8fe99d26fc4f6ed08e3bdf571c43a1b.png

Oh dear.  JMA begs to differ:

JMA:    image.thumb.gif.9b14326ac27ac1b47f4a06c0aa5729e7.gif   image.thumb.gif.9272e40d9eb86122147327a66c36f70c.gif

Interesting.  I wonder who will get the closest to verifying......

• Like 4

Posted

Another shockingly warm run for the ECM with plenty of days over 20C coming up between now and mid month (and not just in the SE I would expect). But I too can see a route to cold later in the month now (certainly no strong trend at this stage though) - which is to pull the high pressure cell over E Europe further west - the ECM achieves this today with the help of Leslie stalling to South - yes, still warm at D10, but if the high stays there it would stay turning cooler from that point as the winds start to obtain an easterly element. 

Anyway so far off, just thought I'd post something to give the coldies hope (!), main theme is exceptional mild weather for the time of year to carry on for some time bar the odd front passing through. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
21 hours ago, carinthian said:

Further to the above post as @Northernlights has just reminded me, a mild dry October is just great for the farming community. Its just from a meteorological point of view , I find this set a bit of a bore. Having said that, its like summer again this morning in the mountains and the fine weather is helping with the final stages of the construction of our new gondola, well ahead of finishing time. Yes, the cows still grazing on the upper slopes with snow cover back up to over 2500m.

C

43172463_1934058893375055_7888105973414363136_o.jpg

Morning all, it was a stunning day in the Austrian Alps yesterday. More of the same this coming week with high upper temps to stay for many. We have a forecast high of 25c for Salzburgerland  on Tuesday which is just amazing.

C

43169820_2008390385849324_4545221279262703616_n.jpg

UW72-7.gif

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Another shockingly warm run for the ECM with plenty of days over 20C coming up between now and mid month (and not just in the SE I would expect). But I too can see a route to cold later in the month now (certainly no strong trend at this stage though) - which is to pull the high pressure cell over E Europe further west - the ECM achieves this today with the help of Leslie stalling to South - yes, still warm at D10, but if the high stays there it would stay turning cooler from that point as the winds start to obtain an easterly element. 

Anyway so far off, just thought I'd post something to give the coldies hope (!), main theme is exceptional mild weather for the time of year to carry on for some time bar the odd front passing through. 

I am a coldie - cold can wait till December.  Bring on the October warmth!

ECM looks great medium term, especially in the SE.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 6