Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ali - Atlantic Storm 1 18/09/18

Jo Farrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

It's certainly been a day and an event. The Met Office and Met Eireann can at least be assured that #StormAli will be remembered in Ireland and Scotland and that Amber warnings in the future might get more attention paid to them . One newspaper editor said he'd been caught out by events (from a well forecast storm, and needed to move staff to stories) Lamp post fell down outside school,  cars smashed by falling trees. 53mph mean winds for Kincardineshire and Gwynedd both sites around 100m elevation - severe gale.   Lorry and car overturned at border on A1

IMG_E3457.JPG

a1lorry2.jpg

Edited by Jo Farrow
explanation
  • Like 3

Posted

Good work all round for the Met Offices. 

It's interesting to see a few regular "warnings bashers" not in the forum tonight.  Round 2 (or is it "3"?) on Friday. It looks interesting and not in a good way.

No one should feel bad that these events pique their interest. I often wonder how many lives weather fans save by passing on weather information to their nearest and dearest. For example, I've just advised all of my friends on social media to work from home if possible on Friday "just in case", already had several "thanks, will do" from people. Knowledge is never a bad thing and our knowledge is the result of our interest.

• Like 4

Posted

Is there any discussion yet of slight risk severe storm development late Thursday? 

Just wondering as I only see this thread and the weekend system in actual thread titles. 

If no discussion, I will start off by saying the developing cold front timed for about 18z to 21z across south central England looks capable of setting off some thunderstorms with slight risk of hail and damaging winds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

With so much going on, I think there will be a lot of cross-over between storms. Might be worth heading this up to encompass the "spell of storms". 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
6 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

Is there any discussion yet of slight risk severe storm development late Thursday? 

Just wondering as I only see this thread and the weekend system in actual thread titles. 

If no discussion, I will start off by saying the developing cold front timed for about 18z to 21z across south central England looks capable of setting off some thunderstorms with slight risk of hail and damaging winds. 

I have mentioned this in the convective thread but even at this stage there appears a lot of uncertainty. Certainly the risk is there though of something quite nasty tonight.

Posted
6 hours ago, Wivenswold said:

With so much going on, I think there will be a lot of cross-over between storms. Might be worth heading this up to encompass the "spell of storms". 

There are different threads in the list. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/7-storms-severe-weather-discussion/ 

• Like 1

Posted
Posted

Just for info, I managed to land safely in Edinburgh about 30 minutes before the worst of the storm hit on Wednesday. It wasn't pleasant, but neither was it terrifying. If it had been sometime in the following hour I have a feeling I'd still be a gibbering wreck.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
6 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Just for info, I managed to land safely in Edinburgh about 30 minutes before the worst of the storm hit on Wednesday. It wasn't pleasant, but neither was it terrifying. If it had been sometime in the following hour I have a feeling I'd still be a gibbering wreck.

Glad you're safe

Thankfully the rain ceased here Davis reckons 65mm but this probably too high. Breezy but nothing of note here.

• Like 1