Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ali - Atlantic Storm 1 18/09/18

Jo Farrow

Posted

Quick video from @Jo Farrow on what's happening today and what's to come beyond it:

And also, if you haven't read it, @Nick F has written a detailed blog on the development of Storm Ali and the potential for more stormy weather here:

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9148-uk-stormy-weather-ahead-ali-today-wind-rain-thursday-then-more-on-sunday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Not to bad here in Darlington I was expecting a lot worse 44mph largest gust around 2pm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frightning Lightning !!

We had an exceptional squall shower/downpour at about 1345 , flooded streets in minutes !

Trees down near Stewarts Park ...one blocking the road into the new estate .

Im a Postie and thats easily the windiest day Ive experienced in a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
10 minutes ago, DH764 said:

We had an exceptional squall shower/downpour at about 1345 , flooded streets in minutes !

Trees down near Stewarts Park ...one blocking the road into the new estate .

Im a Postie and thats easily the windiest day Ive experienced in a while.

That squall line moved over Darlo in 2 minutes wasn't much too it tbh, it did develop more moving towards the Boro 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

:( Some sad news: BreakingNNow @BreakingNNow 32s33 seconds ago

#BREAKING: Man has died after being hit by a tree at a country park in Northern Ireland during #StormAli.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Thunderstorms, Snow

Been pretty wild up here (Angus NE Scotland, on the coast)

Lots of trees down around the back roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
19 hours ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Thinking of taking the day off Uni tomorrow because of the forecast, really don’t fancy being stranded in Glasgow Central station with 80mph gusts outside.

Hope you followed your own advice looks pretty chaotic at Glasgow central apparently!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
36 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Hope you followed your own advice looks pretty chaotic at Glasgow central apparently!

Yes glad I did! All routes were cancelled 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick L said:

Not insensitive at all. The warnings are issued for a reason. If you choose to ignore them and put your life in danger then my sympathy is zero. I only hope nothing bad befalls those having to clear up after.

I've been moved to sign-up to this forum due to this unbelievable response from a Moderator - a heartfelt apology should be posted just like Lauren was moved to do.

Whatever the circumstances of this poor woman death, the inhumanity of such a response from Nick L is sickening & the lack of any other statement on the matter from Netweather speaks volumes in itself.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, fairweather said:

I've been moved to sign-up to this forum due to this unbelievable response from a Moderator - a heartfelt apology should be posted just like Lauren was moved to do.

Whatever the circumstances of this poor woman death, the inhumanity of such a response from Nick L is sickening & the lack of any other statement on the matter from Netweather speaks volumes in itself.

Just to be clear, @Nick L's opinions are his and his alone.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with his statement in the slightest but just as anyone is, he's welcome to give an opinion within a discussion. And although it is in my opinion very insensitive, tactless and lacks humility, it breaks no rules, which is why it's been left as is, with, I might say, plenty of pushback from others to balance it out, which is as it should be on a discussion forum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
14 minutes ago, fairweather said:

well said and I have to agree with you ... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Just to be clear, @Nick L's opinions are his and his alone.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with it in the slightest but he's welcome to give it. And although it is in my opinion very insensitive, tactless and lacks humility, it breaks no rules, hence why it's been left as is, with I might say plenty of push back from others to balance it out.

I would have thought that a moderators role would be an impartial one, personally, if it was me, I would have deleted the post.

What kind of people think it's ok to write unkind things about someone who died so tragically?

I think your Rules need a bit of humanity injected into them.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, fairweather said:

I would have thought that a moderators role would be an impartial one, personally, if it was me, I would have deleted the post.

What kind of people think it's ok to write unkind things about someone who died so tragically?

I think your Rules need a bit of humanity injected into them.

Unfortunately, 'unkind' opinions are a fact of life, people have and give them all the time. Personally, I think (within reason) the best way of dealing with them can be to leave them and allow others to voice their opposing opinions - as they have done. On this occasion, off the back of that, @Lauren already reconsidered and apologised, and perhaps Nick may do the same.

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Unfortunately, 'unkind' opinions are a fact of life, people have and give them all the time. Personally, I think (within reason) the best way of dealing with them can be to leave them and allow others to voice their opposing opinions - as they have done. On this occasion, off the back of that, @Lauren already reconsidered and apologised, and perhaps Nick may do the same.

Indeed it is a fact of life, however, so are rules & by having some about dignity etc. it may go a bit towards posters taking a more considered approach rather than just rattling off what comes to mind at that particular moment. I also think there is merit in your approach but in situations as serious as this, no.

This was someones daughter, maybe a sister & mother too, have a heart Netweather.

Posted
14 minutes ago, fairweather said:

This was someones daughter, maybe a sister & mother too, have a heart Netweather.

It's really not about having a heart. 

In terms of the rules, one of them is to be nice, and to treat others as you'd hope to be treated yourself, so it is covered, but that sort of thing is subjective and not black and white. Perhaps, had I seen the original comments before the responses, I may well have deleted them. But since I didn't and since there have been some good counterbalancing posts, and an apology for one of them, we've ended up at least in a place where the good has hopefully outweighed the bad, so to speak. 

Edited by Paul

1 minute ago, Paul said:

It's really not about having a heart. 

In terms of the rules, one of them is to be nice, and to treat others as you'd hope to be treated yourself, so it is covered, but that sort of thing is subjective and not black and white. Perhaps, had I seen the original comments before the responses, I may well have deleted them. But since I didn't and since there have been some good counterbalancing posts, and an apology for one of them, we've ended up at least in a place where the good has well outweighed the bad, so to speak. 

I'm sorry, but it is all about having a heart, having compassion for another fellow human that has died in such a terrible manner.

I understand that you are doing your best at this stage but Netweathers rules still need updating to take account of such situations.

Posted
5 hours ago, Lauren said:

I'd like to apologise for my comment earlier. I did judge too soon. I guess I had seen so many people recklessly ignoring warnings for no good reason in Florence and had suffered as a result and just presumed this was the same. I would not wish death on anybody, obviously.

Of course if she had been warned and there was no good reason for not leaving then that's one thing. But it appears in this case there may have been other factors that lead to her staying.

I know the mods asked for no arguing on the matter but felt it right to apologise. 

Yes, we can all judge too soon , you have the honour to apologies  and that should be respected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Must applaud the Met Office here, I thought this would go the same way as the one the other day, not saying there couldn't be strong winds but didn't see fatalities and severe disruption at the level it has occurred.