Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ali - Atlantic Storm 1 18/09/18

Jo Farrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

My roof is losing tiles now :( 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

This is going to sound incredibly insensitive but surely it must be obvious that a caravan on top of a cliff is not the safest place to be during such weather?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, rain_shadow said:

A foot thick branches coming off in North Wales. Yellow warning? - how utterly ridiculous... and we pay the wages of these guys...

20180919_120752.jpg

I didn't know that the size of individual fallen tree-limbs was reflected in the colour of the warning?

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I didn't know that the size of individual fallen tree-limbs was reflected in the colour of the warning?

No but if it hits someone, and is widespread, it is at least "be prepared" for goodness sake. 85-120km/h gusts for 6-8 hours. Yellow. Really?

Edited by rain_shadow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, Lauren said:

This is going to sound incredibly insensitive but surely it must be obvious that a caravan on top of a cliff is not the safest place to be during such weather?

Not insensitive at all. The warnings are issued for a reason. If you choose to ignore them and put your life in danger then my sympathy is zero. I only hope nothing bad befalls those having to clear up after.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Official Weather UK ☀️❄️⚡?️

Retweeted
CBN4kfue_bigger.jpg DGVost @DGVost 1h1 hour ago

MAJOR INCIDENT DECLARED A major incident has now been declared in Dumfries and Galloway due to Storm Ali. The region has seen significant disruption due to the high winds.

image.thumb.png.9eb8303465e54800a4434f79905f7b2c.png

image.thumb.png.d7ed10dac039bc2f8349ecdd23d6641e.png

image.thumb.png.230ecdaaa175cdd4106d06055c95de20.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Not being funny but does anyone know why this woman was in the caravan etc. Regardless if she didn't listen to the warnings someone has still lost their life. Have some decorum instead of being so bloody heartless. She may have no family she may have had mobility issues etc or she may not have taken the warnings seriously. But either way it's distasteful a couple of these comments and I don't care who roasts me for this post. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

That's a September record for Northern Ireland!

I saw that mentioned and found it hard to believe given "Hurricane Debbie" in 1961 and Ballykelly had a gust of 106mph in September of that year. 6 people died in northern ireland that day. Malin Head just over the border clocked 112mph with sustained winds of over 60mph for over 6 hours and hurricane force sustained winds for a long period. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, P-M said:

And there we have it. I don't know of many people who check the weather warnings when on holiday. She probably thought she was ok where she was etc or simply didn't know. But in any case there's some heartless comments about today. It's not as if she was out swimming in the open sea etc and putting emergency services at risk. She's now dead at the bottom of a cliff in a caravan what an awful way to die. And yet some on here feel it's ok to say they have zero sympathy. Well it speaks more about what type of person they are than this poor woman. Seriously ground my gears this afternoon. 

Yes exactly, self importance factor at play too,as if their sympathy or lack of it even matters yet they seem to think it's the biggest issue,  their sympathy levels, not the poor woman in her 50s on Holidays who died. 

She had her caravan bolted but it broke during the winds and the caravan subsequently fell 15 metres on to the beach. 

Edited by StormyWeather28

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Wild here in Lothian. A1 northbound closed due to overturned lorry at usual spot near Haddington. Power outages, tree debris everywhere. Wild conditions. Trains Edinburgh - Glasgow affected. Scot rail telling people not to travel. Highest gust on record for Northern Ireland earlier G91mph

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Any death is obviously a terrible thing and is a reminder to just how dangerous weather like this can be. However can we keep this thread to talking about Storm Ali please and not let it degenerate into an argument/attacks over peoples opinions regardless of whether they are right or wrong.

Incidentally the wind is howling even here, at around 200 miles south of Ali. I dread to think what it is like underneath the strongest winds.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

England and Scotland are cut off by train travel at the moment

The West Coast Mainline is blocked at Lockerbie due to signal problems

The East Coast Mainline is blocked between Berwick upon Tweed and Newcastle due to overhead wire damage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

It's actually not as bad as i expected here in Motherwell, quite blowy but the winds peaked around 65mph about an hour ago.No damage other than a neighbours fence down and some twigs and garden ornaments down.