Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Bronagh- Atlantic Storm 2

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
11 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

I think this storm is being a little understated in the press who are still reacting to yesterday's events.

From my experience in Railway ops, this one strikes at a bad time of the year and at the worst possible time of the day, while trees are in full leaf and at the start of service, in the dark. I think Greater Anglia, Southeastern, Great Northern, East Coast (LNER) and C2C could potentially suffer. Fallen leaves on damp track will also help to stuff-up the network tomorrow but I've known one broken branch to cancel in excess of 100 trains. So we don't necessarily need particularly high gusts for disruption. 35-45 mph gusts are enough. 

Don’t forget South Western Trains - miles upon miles of tree lined cut and fill tracks ! Imagine it could be bedlam for those on the Surrey commute tomorrow! 

Edited by Badgers01
Addition
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
19 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

I think this storm is being a little understated in the press who are still reacting to yesterday's events.

From my experience in Railway ops, this one strikes at a bad time of the year and at the worst possible time of the day, while trees are in full leaf and at the start of service, in the dark. I think Greater Anglia, Southeastern, Great Northern, East Coast (LNER) and C2C could potentially suffer. Fallen leaves on damp track will also help to stuff-up the network tomorrow but I've known one broken branch to cancel in excess of 100 trains. So we don't necessarily need particularly high gusts for disruption. 35-45 mph gusts are enough. 

Exactly, already had a tree come down around here on Tuesday, no where near the cancelled warning. Trees are not only in full leaf but some are also weakened.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just started raining here. It will last until 11pm tonight here according to the weather warning.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Met Office news release re: #StormBronagh 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/2018/storm-bronagh

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
42 minutes ago, pip22 said:

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Heres the rain radar

Just need to go over Britain to see it.

and netweather Radar  https://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/premium.pl?action=radar500;sess=c20b70780ad1fd8c1882cb60195f808a= also an app

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

There is some really heavy rain north of Blackpool atm on radar:

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Posted
31 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Don’t forget South Western Trains - miles upon miles of tree lined cut and fill tracks ! Imagine it could be bedlam for those on the Surrey commute tomorrow! 

Yes, I did think of SWT. I think they will escape the worst of the winds and they don't have overhead wires that tend to cause problems in the other areas. I'd expect a few train operators to issue advisories or even shut the service down earlier tonight and have a reduced timetable tomorrow morning. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't in these situations. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Arome highlighting convective wind gusts mixed in by the "streaks" of stronger winds

gustkph_019.thumb.jpg.0b957c45c5494836dde6a5cffcc79417.jpg

Looks like it's going to get mental at times.

Posted

The rain is slowly getting heavier now.

3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

There's a good chance of some convective gusts developing as the cold front sweeps through later this evening, adding to already strong winds. The squally nature shows up quite nicely on the 850hPa wind speeds & direction, and also the 700hPa VV.

viewimage.thumb.png.6336f4c3887e9990bd2d48b07b4b23ce.png 1545865068_viewimage(1).thumb.png.f4df955b36670c8c68590613dc35e788.png

Nice bit over Cambridgeshire  ,might send Toto for a spin  should we name all storms Bronagh to avoid confusion

Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Latest radar suggests the heavier rain is a little further North compared to some modelling. Current wind speeds here are well down on what is forecast for this time period, so it might be going through slower?!

Posted

Tom BurnettVerified account @TomBurnett88 1m1 minute ago

Western Power Distribution currently report fewer than 600 homes are currently without electricity across the region #StormBronagh

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It’s been a reasonable day here in Plymouth so far cloudy but mainly dry, but whilst on patrol you could see rain over Dartmoor.

However , talking to the Pier Master for the City, he’s expecting major issues overnight and into Sunday with the dinghy parks clearly filling up as the day went on around the Barbican.

Funniest was seeing coach loads of pensioners going on river cruises from Plymouth Sound, especially as an US Navy feeder ship refused to go out this morning apparently! Loads of ill pensioners I’d of thought!

Im off home to batton down the hatches 

• Thanks 1

Posted

No winds here but persistent torrential rain from 2pm... already a flood warning for Cheshire I expect a few more to crop up before the nights out.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie