Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Bronagh- Atlantic Storm 2

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Horrible afternoon / evening of weather here though I was lucky enough to fit in a bike ride around the wolds this morning.

Winds are picking up now. How bad will it get? The GFS will bring a blustery night but nothing too bad, however the ICON would be much worse.

To the post above saying the warnings aren't fit for purpose (yet again). Some areas of the UK today are seeing huge rainfall totals and the squally winds aren't due up here till the early in the morning. Yes the rain has been heavier over a widespread area but it has generally been well forecast.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
8 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

To the post above saying the warnings aren't fit for purpose (yet again). Some areas of the UK today are seeing huge rainfall totals and the squally winds aren't due up here till the early hours in the morning. So I think that argument falls flat on its face.

I guess Geography isn't your good point then. The warning area needed to be across the north midlands and the whole of Yorkshire for heavy rain. It isn't so the argument doesn't fall flat on it's face.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Nearly 60mm here this afternoon... lots of surface water on roads...at times torrential rain... couple of breaks in the last two hours... lookslike more rain later this evening... put in three water butts last week all full to the brim and they are big butts....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I guess Geography isn't your good point then. The warnign area needed to be across the north midlands and the whole of Yorkshire. It isn't so the argument doesn't fall flat on it's face.

image.thumb.png.6c40871ec7675469f37c159dc7c9c164.png They weren't far off...

And here is the warning description...

Further details

An area of rain is expected to move northeast across many parts of the UK on Thursday. Rain is likely to be most persistent and heaviest across parts of Wales and northwest England. 40-60 mm of rain is likely widely across the warning area, whilst some of the higher ground of Wales and perhaps Cumbria could see 80-100 mm. In addition to the rain, strong winds and coastal gales can be expected across southern parts of the warning area.

Perhaps the heaviest rain extended a bit further east but to say the warning system isn't fit for purpose is far too strong.

image.thumb.png.7efdd734cc0bd46ae3742889c0034ba2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
25 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Nearly 60mm here this afternoon... lots of surface water on roads...at times torrential rain... couple of breaks in the last two hours... lookslike more rain later this evening... put in three water butts last week all full to the brim and they are big butts....

Ive emptied the trailer cover twice in the last 3 hours,. each time there was around 40 litres of water. That's a 5ft x 3.5ft trailer. Its bouncing again and there must be around 8 litres in it again.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, Had Worse said:

Ive emptied the trailer cover twice in the last 3 hours,. each time there was around 40 litres of water. That's a 5ft x 3.5ft trailer. Its bouncing again and there must be around 8 litres in it again.

I could've done with that to pre-soak my new aquarium wood. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I could've done with that to pre-soak my new aquarium wood. 

Its a bit of a trek mate (280 miles) but I would if you were within 10 miles.

• Like 1

Posted

This morning it looked like we had fog it was mizzle quite strange.

Now its raining very heavily again,yes we had a light easterly earlier,then the sudden change in wind direction to west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Oldham Weather @ChadWeather 3m3 minutes ago

We could have some thunder and lightning overnight. First signs of lightning now in the Irish Sea. #StormBronagh

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

On and off but heavy this evening again... could well have over 100mm from today through the weekend... problems with flooding already around and about too... river down the road again with this latest downpour

edit registered 76mm so far today... not surprised... some very very heavy tropical style rain... 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Looks like the storm is now below 990mb, right now it was forecast to be about 5mb higher or more.Not sure how this will affect things but the storm is a tad more intense than forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
14 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Looks like the storm is now below 990mb, right now it was forecast to be about 5mb higher or more.Not sure how this will affect things but the storm is a tad more intense than forecast.

Had a feeling it might be.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

MetO pressure charts show it to bottom out around 984 - 985.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Sorry to jump in but wanted to ask what the East Midlands is expected to be like? Only moved up here in May so only just beginning to fathom the weather up here. 

Are we in for strong wind just East of Loughborough?

Posted

For the first time since April 10th the pressure has dropped below 1000hPa. 999.87hPa.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted

Been stuck under the convective rain-line for just over a hour here now with roads turning into rivers and that's just in the areas up above town, the River Goyt would be interesting to see in a couple of hours as all of tonight's rain makes it's way down towards Stockport.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
24 minutes ago, Storme said:

Sorry to jump in but wanted to ask what the East Midlands is expected to be like? Only moved up here in May so only just beginning to fathom the weather up here. 

Are we in for strong wind just East of Loughborough?

Yeah you should have gales in the early hours, we have them here just north of Birmingham now and the storm is supposed to get deeper as it crosses the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
53 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Yeah you should have gales in the early hours, we have them here just north of Birmingham now and the storm is supposed to get deeper as it crosses the country.

Thanks for that. Wind and rain really picked up here. No thunder as yet.

I am probably a bit strange. I have got a top window open and the noise of the wind and rain is almost comforting. I lived in a second, (top), floor flat for 40 years with my mum. You could hear weather against the roof and windows. My boyfriend and I moved to Charlwood in 2012. The house wasn't really one you could hear the weather in, if you get what I mean. This house we are currently in is brilliant for hearing rain and wind. 

Sorry for waffling on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1