Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Helene - ex tropical system for UK

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warnings are now out for Storm Helene she is expected to arrive during late Monday and into Tuesday

Regions affected by this warning

• North West England
  • Northern Ireland
  • SW Scotland, Lothian Borders
  • South West England
  • Strathclyde
  • Wales

Between 18:00 Mon 17th and 12:00 Tue 18th

Storm Helene is expected to bring a period of very strong winds to western parts of the UK late Monday and for a time on Tuesday.

What to expect

• Injuries and danger to life from flying debris are possible.
  • Road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected, with longer journey times and cancellations possible.
  • Some roads and bridges may close. Fallen trees may be an additional hazard.
  • There is a small chance that injuries could occur from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts.
  • There is a chance that power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage

Further details

Storm Helene is expected to push north-east towards the UK late Monday, before clearing quickly to the north of Scotland through Tuesday morning. There remains large uncertainty in Helene's exact track, however a spell of very strong winds is expected, initially for parts of south-west England and west Wales, then later south-west Scotland and the south-east of Northern Ireland. Winds are likely to gust to 55-65 mph quite widely in the warning area, with possible gusts of 70-80 mph in exposure.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-09-17

Edited by Jo Farrow
not part of #StormNames 2018/19
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Yellow warnings are now out for Storm Helene she is expected to arrive during late Monday and into Tuesday

Regions affected by this warning

• North West England
  • Northern Ireland
  • SW Scotland, Lothian Borders
  • South West England
  • Strathclyde
  • Wales

Between 18:00 Mon 17th and 12:00 Tue 18th

Storm Helene is expected to bring a period of very strong winds to western parts of the UK late Monday and for a time on Tuesday.

What to expect

• Injuries and danger to life from flying debris are possible.
  • Road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected, with longer journey times and cancellations possible.
  • Some roads and bridges may close. Fallen trees may be an additional hazard.
  • There is a small chance that injuries could occur from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts.
  • There is a chance that power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage

Further details

Storm Helene is expected to push north-east towards the UK late Monday, before clearing quickly to the north of Scotland through Tuesday morning. There remains large uncertainty in Helene's exact track, however a spell of very strong winds is expected, initially for parts of south-west England and west Wales, then later south-west Scotland and the south-east of Northern Ireland. Winds are likely to gust to 55-65 mph quite widely in the warning area, with possible gusts of 70-80 mph in exposure.

So we can expect fairly normal Autumn  blow then .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Yellow wind warnings from UK MO for MOn/Tues, still big differences in timings Monday late eve  all through Tues, even though Helene will move through quickly..

Maybe the UK Met Office stamped it with STORM Helene to stop Met Eireann labelling it #StormAli. Not ideal after the launch of #StormNames this week that an ex Hurricane crashes the party early 

1409heleneMOASXX.png

1409helenetuesthick.png

1409stormhelenenhc.png

Posted
21 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Yellow wind warnings from UK MO for MOn/Tues, still big differences in timings Monday late eve  all through Tues, even though Helene will move through quickly..

Maybe the UK Met Office stamped it with STORM Helene to stop Met Eireann labelling it #StormAli. Not ideal after the launch of #StormNames this week that an ex Hurricane crashes the party early 

1409heleneMOASXX.png

1409helenetuesthick.png

1409stormhelenenhc.png

For the naming I think once a Tropical Storm is named, it was agreed it retained that name once it came into our waters, to avoid confusion, so ex Tropical, or Tropical xyz.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

1409heleneMOASXX.png

1409helenetuesthick.png

1409stormhelenenhc.png

I notice your story on the home page mentioning she is an ex-hurricane I thought she has stayed as a Tropical Storm? as per the last map you've posted above

Posted

Yes, if it had a tropical name it should keep it, Like Opehlia, but the naming here hasn't always run smoothly.

Helene was a hurricane, now a transitioning Tropical Storm

Posted
34 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Indeed ,a less complicated  naming  system would lead to less confusion and better preparedness 

The UK/Ireland naming system is only for extra-tropical lows which haven't been tropical Storms/Hurricanes. The process does  

"keep the names of ones the US national hurricane centre gives"    A discussion for 

perhpaps

Posted

windy.com has ex-Helene moving further eastwards on most of the runs, 2 days it was looking like western Ireland and the outer Scottish Isles would have bore the worst of the gales but the past runs have been favorable taking ex-Helene's windfield across the Irish Sea and over the North Pennines/Southern Scotland before exiting into the North Sea. Trust half of my family to have taken a caravaning trip on Anglesey for the week whilst i've had to stay behind due to work commitments. 

https://www.windy.com

1.thumb.jpg.fdf9e4f44b693906d0956de8db878f0c.jpg

Posted

Updated warning

Between 18:00 Mon 17th and 08:00 Tue 18th

Reason for update This warning has been updated to extend it into northern England and the far southeast of Scotland and bring its time of cessation forward.

Storm Helene will bring a spell of strong winds to western parts of the UK in particular late Monday and early Tuesday.

What to expect

• Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport expected.
  • Some bus and train services affected, with some journeys taking longer.
  • Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges.
  • Some short term loss of power and other services.
  • Coastal routes, sea fronts and coastal communities affected by spray and/or large waves.
  • Some damage to trees is possible, for example large branches or trees falling in a few places.

Further details

Storm Helene is expected to move northeastwards across the British Isles later Monday and early Tuesday before clearing into the northern North Sea by early Tuesday morning. A spell of strong winds is expected, initially mainly in the far southwest of England and across western Wales. The strongest winds then transfer northwards to be over northern England and, perhaps, the far south of Scotland, during the early hours of Tuesday. Winds are likely to gust into the 40s or low 50s mph quite widely across the warning area. Meanwhile, in some Irish Sea coastal areas, most likely in Wales and northwest England, gusts to 55-65 mph are likely with possible isolated gusts in excess of 70 mph in the most exposed places. High gusts in the 50s or low 60s mph area also possible over high ground in northern England during the early hours of Tuesday.

G'day folks. I don't normally post much before winter but the storms are interesting to me. I've been surprised that the GFS has not only continued to keep the Helene low pressure centre well west, but hasn't shown precipitation on any of its eastern flank. I don't really comprehend that, especially when a cold front is progressing west to east as the low pressure slides northwards through the UK. How can rainfall 'only' remain on the westward flank of the low? I'm somewhat baffled to be honest.

Anyway, greetings everyone. It's good to be back :) Must behave myself as I have a number of Met Office friends these days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Ophelia was the same little no rain in the east. The main difference this time there isn't going top be any smoke to keep the temperatures down.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest GFS weakens it even further with only a small area of winds just gusting to 60 mph in the Irish sea and welsh coasts. The main issue sees to be the rain. To be honest I don't think it warrants the storm status any more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
8 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Latest GFS weakens it even further with only a small area of winds just gusting to 60 mph in the Irish sea and welsh coasts. The main issue sees to be the rain. To be honest I don't think it warrants the storm status any more.

Yeah, I noticed how much it has been downgraded. Looks nothing out of the ordinary now. For most people it looks like being merely a strong breeze rather than anything stormy. 

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder if the warnings will be removed later this evening? They should be as impact looks to low now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The end of the week looks like it has more potential.. Decent little temperature gradient looks like setting up. Could be a lot of rain, if not a full blown windstorm. 

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
20 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Helene is detracting attention from the real wind, Wednesday/Thursday/Friday. Warnings should be put out imo.

Yes Wednesday looks windier than Monday and Tuesday and Thursday looks like the first real storm of the Autumn. Can still all change of course.

• Like 1

Posted

Saturday night into Sunday also looks lively. Hitting the south so should be mega warnings for that one.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I found it tough transitioning from the Summer we've just had - mainly the extended heat and sunshine, loved it. The past three weeks have been a bit of a bore and so this next week will perk me up, even if i'm not in the warnings. I'm ready for some wet & windy weather coupled with fading daylight. Time to get cosy!

• Like 3

Posted

Downgrading continues and warnings still up. The active storms later in the week have also been downgraded somewhat but still stronger than Helena.