Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm septembers that followed poor summers

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Not sure if this counts. But Summer 2007 with its soggy conditions lead to quite a reasonable September. I’m pretty sure the first half was mostly dry and rather warm with High Pressure centered over the U.K. at times. I remember on my first few days back at school there was a lot of sunshine about and it didn’t feel cool. Can’t recall how warm it actually was though. 

But the second half of the month I think was mixed and cooler, especially the further North you were, with Low Pressure mostly in control.

Would probably have to check the CET records, but think it was a little above average overall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Indeed August-October 2007 was largely very settled bar a few blips. All months were homogenously warm though rather than notably so at any point. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Harry233 said:

September 2016 was a very warm one after a disappointing summer. Can remember the heat in the second week and the unbelievably mild nights very well.

Yes, I remember that. This followed a warm and sunny second half of August. I just moved to a new flat in late July, but it took us 2 months to find a place, and during our flat hunt, all I can remember is long cloudy periods and humid spells mixed in. 

There was a very hot day that September, followed by a thunderstorm during the night. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

1998. My daughter was christened on the 21st September. It was warm and sunny and at 26C was actually the warmest day of that year here following a very poor Summer.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I always find good summers finish early, say last week of July, perhaps a bit later in the south

has to level out, and we have to pay for the summer during Aug and Sept, a poor summer though, should lead to good Aug/Sep

Posted

I don't think I've ever recorded a good September after a poor summer as a whole. September 2014 was good after a poor August, but June and July were good that year. I guess September 2016 is the closest as it was very warm, but also quite unsettled, and the second half of the summer was generally good here despite a poorer first half.

1998 was a very wet September here, with a brief warm dry interlude around the equinox. June and July that year were poor but August was decent being the right side of the N/S split.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It must, at least in part, be a matter of perception: an average-or-worse autumn that follows a long, hot summer will always feel cold; one that comes after a washout, however, will not feel so cold?

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

September 1998 was warm but in Tyneside it was also very dull apart from the aforementioned warm sunny spell around the 21st.  2004 and 2011 were indeed good examples, and in 2011 the hot sunny end to September came close to producing the highest temperatures of the year, beaten only by the brief plume event of 26-27 June 2011.  In 2004 the fine spell fell in the first third of September.

September 2002 was a good example in some southern and western parts of the UK although it was a dull month in the north-east. 

If we were considering sunshine rather than temperature the Septembers of 1986 to 1988 were pretty decent.  At Durham, the Septembers of 1986 and 1987 were both sunnier than any of the preceding three summer months, and in some parts of the country September 1988 achieved the same distinction.  September '86 in particular was rather cool though with Septembers 1987 and 1988 near average to fairly cool.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

The first half of either September 1986 or 87 was warm and mosty sunny,second half much cooler as I remember,which year is possibly 1986 if I were to put a bet on.

Posted

Here, September 2004 was good for the first 9 days then was unsettled or changeable, often dull and had suppressed temperatures so far from a warm September. 2011 is perhaps a better match from warmth, which was mainly due to the heatwave in the closing days and mild nights. The month itself was, again, largely unsettled and quite dull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Here's two examples of this, both occuring within 5 years of eachother...

First off September, 1890 which with a CET of 14.6 became the warmest month of the year!

The summer had been a very cool one with August especially so (14.1), largely down to an exceptionally cold final week with an average CET around 10.5. 

NOAA_1_1890082718_1.thumb.png.bfc57335d940e310ff8bfcc7032269e5.png 

However, just in time for (meterological) summers end warm high pressure returned in style

.NOAA_1_1890090318_1.thumb.png.19145c5c4c11b40bd031b0e09d8e89d6.png

Still going up until mid-month, though low pressure would quickly become more dominant..

.NOAA_1_1890091418_1.thumb.png.d93d2af0f040c69b78c4945d55599663.png 

...but not for long

NOAA_1_1890092518_1.thumb.png.b0107b5262e2268478e85172afebf7c6.png

The next example is September, 1895 which occurred after a pretty unremarkable summer, while average then would be considered pretty cool by modern standards.

Already hot early on in the month with upper-air temperatures getting close to 20 in the southeast

NOAA_1_1895090218_1.thumb.png.dd03e87f7c363257c8bf6bbb87a350b4.png

An unsettled spell before this soon proved to be short-lived

NOAA_1_1895091518_1.thumb.png.4adb3a6cc25d26d0645634cf8bedc496.png

Still going!

NOAA_1_1895092418_1.thumb.png.0e574b2dc0472e89c25aa63ae915739e.png

Sorry for the long post, hopefully people enjoyed looking at the charts. What I find interesting about September, 1895 is that it is the second-warmest on record in terms of maximum temperatures with only 2006 marginally hotter, but nighttime temperatures were only slightly above normal giving the month a CET of 15.4. I'm sure people must've really been enjoying the Indian summer, so it must of felt quite a shock to get an October with a CET of 7.1 straight after! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Strange how the 'warmest' is not necessarily the best.One of the best Septembers I recall is that of 1986,maybe it was because the summer was so poor.It is actually the coldest September for 70 years and remains so and I remember countless days of frost almost unheard of today yet it missed out on being the sunniest month of the year by one hour and was the driest September since 1951.I recall cold nights,calm sunny and warm feeling days for much of the month,very pleasant indeed.I think 1985 also had some good warm spells also .Another memorable period was the last week of September 2008.After an Horrendous summer I never wish to see again we suddenly had a great spell of warm sunny weather to end the month that was better than anything we had seen all summer.

Posted

I certainly remember those coldest September early frosty nights I ever seen in 1986 killing all those leaves from the trees in the dingles.later on through the month but by day it was lovely sunny and warm first half especially,probably was September 1987 too warm first half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
On 08/09/2018 at 13:01, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I always find good summers finish early, say last week of July, perhaps a bit later in the south

has to level out, and we have to pay for the summer during Aug and Sept, a poor summer though, should lead to good Aug/Sep

Don't understand this logic, we don't have to "pay" anything weatherwise.  There is no good reason why the hot spell could not have continued apart from chance.

• Like 2

Posted
On 08/09/2018 at 23:46, Snowyowl9 said:

I certainly remember those coldest September early frosty nights I ever seen in 1986 killing all those leaves from the trees in the dingles.later on through the month but by day it was lovely sunny and warm first half especially,probably was September 1987 too warm first half.

I remember September 1987 being quite warm for at least the first half, after the poor summer. Although temps during the second part of August were hot at times in the London area, with thunderstorms.