Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What would you like to see in autumn 2018

Harry233

Posted

Now that autumns here what type of weather would you like to see for this season. After a long cold winter and a long hot summer I’m rather looking forward to see what autumn brings. For me:

September: To see mainly dry days until the last week with temperatures at or slightly above during the day but some cold foggy mornings before a very wet and windy last week.

October: To have a mix of everything, a rather unsettled start and a spell midmonth to be warm by day and cold at night and to be sunny before another very wet spell followed by a frosty last week.

November: To be a month of two halves a very mild, wet and dull first half before the second half being cold, very frosty but dry and sunny with occasional snow.

whats everyone else’s thoughts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Similarly to you Harry233 - I wouldn't mind a 2005-style autumn. September, while mostly warm, wasn't a settled borefest and remained quite varied with a very autumnal final week. I'd like a settle first half to October as I have Brazilian family staying and a family wedding, then a more unsettled second half (not as crazily mild as 2005 though). A stormy first half to November then cold and crisp second half with the first snowfall towards month's end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Stormy mild October but going crisp dry and cold for Bonfire Night please with a hard frost if possible! Then gently sliding into December with frosts like 2005 please! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

dry 0ct, dry Nov, not fussed about temps, 0ct at my elevation, real snow not really possible

Except for 2010... :laugh:

I'd like a warm September and October with an early start to winter in November. :D.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

A cool dry sept with slight frosts later in the month.

A cool mostly dry Oct with sharp frosts, some wintry showers later in the month. I would particularly like chilly weather around Halloween.

A cold Nov with sharp to severe frosts with some snow later in the month.

That would be my perfect autumn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 hours ago, Nights King said:

Except for 2010... :laugh:

I'd like a warm September and October with an early start to winter in November. :D.

no snow here in Oct '10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I would love to see trees and bushes heavy with berries along with brightly coloured gold, bronze and red leaves.  Low mist or fog with a heavy morning dew in the early autumn but my mid to late autumn frosty mornings. Cool but sunny days and cloudless night skies where temperatures plummet to 2C in early autumn and much lower from mid autumn.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

A lot of dry fairly mild/warm days (not overly warm) with some cooler foggy nights with some frosts as we approach November, doubt it will happen.

Posted

October 1994, with a cool start and a warm second week, where temps hit around 20c, then cooler and damp for the close. 

Would like November to be sunny and crisp, with the odd few days of mild wet and windy weather. 

Posted

October 1997.

It became much colder on the 20th, with widespread and severe frosts in the last week. It was -8.1C at Redesdale (Northumberland) on the morning of the 29th, and other low readings in the SE meant that the mimima were the lowest in the south since 1931.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

A repeat of Autumn 2010 in every way from an unremarkable, wet and sunny September to a relatively cool but very sunny October with some notable frosts to a beauty of a November that contains a severe cold and snowy end. Or a 1919.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I’d like the last week or so of September to be warm and sunny. This to continue into October until at least mid month, then turning cooler with more fog and frosts by night. Settled and chilly for Hallowe’en and Bonfire Night, then some unsettled weather for a brief period before getting colder with wintry showers and frosts. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

September - Like a few others, a mostly warm and settled month. Second week of September would be baking hot with long drawn winds all the way from Africa and temperatures reaching 32*C. Even Northern areas would see temperatures reaching close to, or around, 30*C. But would fairly quickly break down into some extremely powerful thunderstorms with large hail and torrential downpours. Some burgers and meatballs mixed in with the rain and hail too. 3+ lfpm (lightning flashes per minute). There would be one or two odd brief chilly spells with some very potent unstable Northerlies offering showers of heavy rain and hail. And some morning ground frosts with patchy mist and fog. On the whole, it would be a sunny month. ☀️?

October - Starting off very warm with Southerly winds and sunny skies. Temperatures ranging between 25 to 30*C in the South, and 23 to 28*C in the North during the first week. Things cooling down significantly during the second week with winds quickly backing from the North and North-West. Some very squally cold fronts with rain so heavy, there would be enough evaporative cooling to allow for some backedge sleet and wet snow to fall to some fairly modest levels. And not just in the North. Though the Northern hills would see a good covering. Nights very chilly with minimum temperatures getting as low as -3*C and the weather being blustery at times with some Autumnal storms. One storm would provide wind speeds peaking 85 mph over wide areas of the U.K. Warming up again towards the end with long sunny spells, though nights would still be cold with some ground frosts in places. On the 29th, a very strong blocking High Pressure system would be established in the Northern Atlantic allowing freezing air to be dragged down all the way from the Arctic. The U.K. would see its most potent Northerly flow it has ever had in October. The air would be so unstable with lots of little disturbances that hail and snow showers would be widespread. The flow being strong enough for blizzards in places. Maximum daytime temperatures no higher than 2*C in the South and 0*C in the North! By Halloween, everywhere will see a covering of the white stuff. Winds will have died down and there would be thick fog in places on Halloween.

November - The first week would see a strong High to the East over mainland Europe with warm, or possibility hot, conditions. A very unusual super deap seated Southerly flow will ensure some temperature records are broken. Temperatures peaking to 28*C in the South and 26*C in the North. But despite the flow being from the South everywhere would see wall to wall sunshine - even in the West! A breakdown from the South-West will lead to some spectacular storms with torrential downpours of rain, hail, burgers and meatballs. A cooler second week with some spells of heavy rain and torrential showers of rain and hail. One or two nights cool enough to allow a light ground frost in places with one or two misty mornings. One or two strong Atlantic storms with some intense cold fronts too. Then a mixture of cold and mild days in the third week, but mostly dry and sunny with morning ground frosts. And patchy early fog. Though thick fog would linger for one day that week. Last week will see winds turning to the East and North-East with Low Pressure over Southern UK. Cold and cyclonic. Everywhere, even in the West, seeing hail, sleet and snow showers as well as longer spells of heavier snow. Especially from disturbances in the East and from Atlantic fronts trying to bump up against the freezing air. Eastern areas seeing up to 2 foot of snow by the end of the month. Central areas seeing a foot with Western areas seeing similar amounts. ❄️

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted

I would like to see an almost continuation of summer until the end of september with lots of dry weather and sunshine which can stay until mid october and then a cold blast mid october with the first frosts of the season but still relatively settled. 

Towards the end I wouldn't mind one last blast of warmth which around my area can bring sunshine and temperatures just into the 20oC even as early as the very beginning of november and then I would like winter to come in full force. 

Lots of early season snow, preferably an easterly feed so the weather is generally clear, crisp and dry and snowfall coming off the north sea periodically in big, hefty showers that give a couple of CM's of the white stuff :)

Side note: We have spent all summer doing up the garden and would like it to be dry so we can enjoy it as long as possible before winter sets in. 

The odd Atlantic outbreak with strong winds wouldn't go a miss as I like to see a couple of named storms bringing strong gusts although down south the atlantic lows are often hyped up and we get nothing more than 40mph gusts and an hour or so of rain so I'm not too bothered about that.

Posted

This September is looking as though it might be a lot more unsettled than was until recently thought. Personally I'm actually glad as whether it's really the case or not, there does seem to be an anomaly where September is concerned regarding settled or unsettled weather, which coincides with the type of Winter that follows. In other words more unsettled September's might be more likely to be followed by cold Winters than a settled ones. As I say though I'm not totally sure there's a connection but it makes me feel more confident about it if nothing else. 

October on the other hand is another story. I would rather that month be more settled with some fog and frost for good measure. Settled weather during October often brings more vibrant Autumnal colours to the seasonal foliage.

November is more difficult to decide. Many might have heard the old phrase 'Ice in November to bear a duck, the rest of Winter will be rain and muck'. Although I do like cold weather in November I'd probably rather wait until December, if Wintry weather is more likely to be more frequent or longer lasting in the actual Winter months by having a mild more unsettled November. November and December 2010 were great, but after that Winter never really came back (not to the extent it did in those 2 months anyway) and January and February 2011 were a bit of a let down after that. 

Like Spring though, Autumn is just a transitory season between the main seasons of Summer and Winter and as such I'm not especially fussed about what the weather's like during it as long as its followed by a aesthetically pleasing Winter, i.e. one with a deep blanket of snow in my back garden .

Posted

Autumn (stormy unsettled wet cool weather interspersed with chilly sunny days with early and late frost and fog), rarely surfaces before the equinox, and therefore often takes time to settle into its groove. I like autumns to have a mix of the above, don't like persistant westerly/south westerly airstreams think October 2013, yuk. A couple of northerly shots with early snowfall on the fells and sharp frost always welcomed - think Oct 2010 and 2012, and the more extreme Oct 2008 case.

Of recent autumns, those of 2008, 2010 and 2012 were very good, generally very seasonal with some chilly frosty weather at times, and some unsettled weather. A storm or two also welcomed.

I like the late Oct period, a time of rapid change often very stormy in recent years its been abnormally mild.. 

I like November to bring increasingly colder conditions with early snowfall, last couple of Novembers have been good in this respect. Nov 2010 was epic but exceptionally rare. November 2009 and 2015 no thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
On 04/09/2018 at 14:22, DiagonalRedLine said:

September - Like a few others, a mostly warm and settled month. Second week of September would be baking hot with long drawn winds all the way from Africa and temperatures reaching 32*C. Even Northern areas would see temperatures reaching close to, or around, 30*C. But would fairly quickly break down into some extremely powerful thunderstorms with large hail and torrential downpours. Some burgers and meatballs mixed in with the rain and hail too. 3+ lfpm (lightning flashes per minute). There would be one or two odd brief chilly spells with some very potent unstable Northerlies offering showers of heavy rain and hail. And some morning ground frosts with patchy mist and fog. On the whole, it would be a sunny month. ☀️?

October - Starting off very warm with Southerly winds and sunny skies. Temperatures ranging between 25 to 30*C in the South, and 23 to 28*C in the North during the first week. Things cooling down significantly during the second week with winds quickly backing from the North and North-West. Some very squally cold fronts with rain so heavy, there would be enough evaporative cooling to allow for some backedge sleet and wet snow to fall to some fairly modest levels. And not just in the North. Though the Northern hills would see a good covering. Nights very chilly with minimum temperatures getting as low as -3*C and the weather being blustery at times with some Autumnal storms. One storm would provide wind speeds peaking 85 mph over wide areas of the U.K. Warming up again towards the end with long sunny spells, though nights would still be cold with some ground frosts in places. On the 29th, a very strong blocking High Pressure system would be established in the Northern Atlantic allowing freezing air to be dragged down all the way from the Arctic. The U.K. would see its most potent Northerly flow it has ever had in October. The air would be so unstable with lots of little disturbances that hail and snow showers would be widespread. The flow being strong enough for blizzards in places. Maximum daytime temperatures no higher than 2*C in the South and 0*C in the North! By Halloween, everywhere will see a covering of the white stuff. Winds will have died down and there would be thick fog in places on Halloween.

November - The first week would see a strong High to the East over mainland Europe with warm, or possibility hot, conditions. A very unusual super deap seated Southerly flow will ensure some temperature records are broken. Temperatures peaking to 28*C in the South and 26*C in the North. But despite the flow being from the South everywhere would see wall to wall sunshine - even in the West! A breakdown from the South-West will lead to some spectacular storms with torrential downpours of rain, hail, burgers and meatballs. A cooler second week with some spells of heavy rain and torrential showers of rain and hail. One or two nights cool enough to allow a light ground frost in places with one or two misty mornings. One or two strong Atlantic storms with some intense cold fronts too. Then a mixture of cold and mild days in the third week, but mostly dry and sunny with morning ground frosts. And patchy early fog. Though thick fog would linger for one day that week. Last week will see winds turning to the East and North-East with Low Pressure over Southern UK. Cold and cyclonic. Everywhere, even in the West, seeing hail, sleet and snow showers as well as longer spells of heavier snow. Especially from disturbances in the East and from Atlantic fronts trying to bump up against the freezing air. Eastern areas seeing up to 2 foot of snow by the end of the month. Central areas seeing a foot with Western areas seeing similar amounts. ❄️

I have to say this would be almost dream-like, surreal.  The perfect season in my eyes.

• Like 2

Posted

Long time since we`ve seen floods in September can you remember when I certainly can,it was in the 90`s

No sign of that which is not welcome.

Edit:

I was suspecting 2012 after I said that most of the rain came in 1 day that month 2.7inches a record.

Rrea00120120924.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9