Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2002 worst year for weather?

Harry233

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, I do remember some 1 or 2 inch falls but I live not far from Rubery and I swear we didn't have any more than 3 inches possibly only 2, from 1998 up until feb 09 (when id moved somewhere else - typical!) - Last winter my mate said Birmingham was just like the 80s with some right dumpings but I don't know if he was winding me up because I didn't get as much or whether he doesn't remember how big the dumpings we used to get in the 80s, last year here I had probably about 10 inches in total if you count all the slushy deposits and half an inch falls and nobody bats an eyelid, most of the pensioners remember feet of snow piling up back in the day.

That snow I saw in Rubery late December wasn't really deep, probably only about 2 to 3 inches or so. Bearing in mind I saw it 2 days after it fell so it had thawed and re froze again. It was still quite a contrast to round here though and I was happy to see it. It looked especially good with all the Christmas decorations and lights around too which made it feel nice and festive. I think there would have been a lot more there earlier in the month though as I believe that area would have done better than here even. Here's hoping next Winter will be better still, for all of us .

• Like 1

Posted

It was an awful year. Cloudy and mild winter to start the year, mild and sunny end of March and a warm sunny April. But, the summer was very dull with only a handful of hot days.

The autumn was mild and damp, and the December Christmas period was also mild. The worst kind of weather. 

• 5 months later...
Posted

Yes this year was lacking everything besides thundery showers in april.

.This year comes bottom in the list for snowless seasons I`ve put up and looks like it had a combination with lack of thunder aswell lowest ever since I began recording with just 3 thunder days and a grand total of wait for it 1 inch of snow that year.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

While many areas had quite a wet summer, it's to be noted that from mid July, the southwest was actually pretty dry from then on with only a brief wet spell in early September breaking quite a lengthy dry spell until October.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

While many areas had quite a wet summer, it's to be noted that from mid July, the southwest was actually pretty dry from then on with only a brief wet spell in early September breaking quite a lengthy dry spell until October.

August 2002 was decent for the west country.  However, overall, I would put 2002 down as a poor year weather wise, similar to likes of 2011 and 2014.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
34 minutes ago, Don said:

August 2002 was decent for the west country.  However, overall, I would put 2002 down as a poor year weather wise, similar to likes of 2011 and 2014.

Yes, many similarities with 2011. I'd only rate 2014 higher because it was sunnier here, June and July were both good, and I personally preferred November and December.

Posted

All I remember about 2002 was the mild spell in late March, a decent August and a short warm spell in late September/early October. I recall great weather for the Ryder Cup golf at the Belfry at the end of September.

The Commonwealth Games were in Manchester in late July/early August and I recall a few decent sunny days and some warmth along with some rain at times for the games.

August seemed to have quite a few warm sunny days without many hot days.

Overall I agree it was a very forgettable year which was thankfully more memorable for sport!