Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2002 worst year for weather?

Harry233

Posted

Going through previous data and memories, was there was worse year for weather than 2002. It was mild, very dull and wet probably the worst combination for weather. Can’t recall anything good about the year at all, it was also the only year since I had began recording to have no month with above average sunshine. 

Winter: Aside from a sharp cold snap at the beginning of January the winter was an absolute drab with very wet and dull weather the period 18th January-11th February recorded 200mm of rain, and there was just no sign of winter, hardly any frost. Second half of February was a bit better but still pretty poor. December 2002 only recorded 11 hours of sunshine and there was 0 from th 9th-21st.

Spring: Again no sign of anything Spring like at all, nothing especially hot or cold or any prolonged period of sunshine and dry weather and the May that year was awful dull and wet and it took until the 11th of May to reach 20.C.

Summer: Extremely wet and especially dull in June and July. It didn’t exceed 23.C until the 6th June as well. June was very wet and dull but at least quite warm, August was much the same but sunnier. July that year was appalling. I didn’t think we’d get a worse one than 2002 but 2012 just beat it. July was very wet and dull and often cool aside From midmonth were it was rather nice.

autumn: Aside from September which was very dry and rather warm it was a consistently wet and dull affair a rather chilly October but mild November.

Any worse years weather wise. Suppose 1998, 2007, 2011 and 2014 would be Close contenders

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I suppose there will be regional variations. Can't say I remember a lot without looking at records of January-March 2002 - a very westerly period of weather that was overall boring and wet. Things I do remember though:

- late March to late April was a dry period and often sunny here.

- May was awful, cool and very wet bar a brief heatwave midmonth

- first half of July was also awful but it improved midmonth

- August was the best of the summer months here. Thundery first week but often warm and quite sunny.

- a largely boring first half to autumn then very stormy and wet; late October and November were thundery here.

- early snowfall on December 10th and a bright frosty spell midmonth but otherwise, yet again very dull and wet final third.

Fortunes changed drastically after New Years and 2003 was much more interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

this date in the memory, will never leave, few -10 minimums, ice days, and the day sadly a LW radio became useless

archives-2002-1-3-0-0.png

Posted

Yep pretty rubbish so far looking to mid march,early cold snap January,a little slight drifting from snow from a westerly 1 morning. 

Gales even into the middle of march very poor.

April the best month so far thunderstorm and thundery shower very early in the month remember that,snow shower on the 28th.

Very windy end of may.

June boring.

July the same but warmer.

1 day of thundery showers in august so much worse than this summer 2018.

Cold snap in mid October very cold on the 20th only recorded 2c AVN_1_2002102000_1.png  then the storm force wind structural damage end of the month.

November nothing to remember.

December one of the best months that yearAVN_1_2002120900_1.png  with april and October.

Posted

Dec looked good, but only few flakes on 12th, Atlantic broke through on Friday 13th with a whimper

Posted

It was a very stormy year from severe gales in all atlantic driven.

Should mention august as one more of the best months in a poor year,That cold snap mid October was impressive to with that massive Greenland high.

Suppose yes January would of had the most snow depth all year then 2.5inches from December 2001 but no more snow fell in January.

Snow on December 12th with just a covering 2002.

Posted

The only thing I remember that year was the spring,its always great to record the weather to trigger your memory.

October storm of course never forget that,and that very cold day mid month.

Early april humid air and 2 thundery days record early for anything like that.

Onto something I forgot there was a mini cold easterly mid march.

AVN_1_2002031400_1.png

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

2002 was and still is the wettest year on record in Dublin with scenes like below (taken on 1 February 2002 when strong winds and heavy rain coincided with a high tide) in February and November 2002. Other than that, it just seemed like a dull and mild fest, little cold. Yuck!

01-1024x715.thumb.jpg.1e274b81e8c119d0dbc095a8c1884fcd.jpg

There was exceptional rainfall (showers) which lead to some flash flooding in Manchester on the afternoon of Friday 14th June (think there was thunder too). Also I remember we went to Southport on a Friday in either late July or August and the thing that stands out is how shockingly bad the weather was - persistent rain all day. Does anyone having a likely date for this?

On the other hand there was a heatwave in late July, which brought a higher maximum than anything from 2001. I remember some glorious sunny days in the September and October, a handful just by memory. Seem to remember the Easter having a settled spell of weather too; possibly the last time to date that we've had settled weather over an early Easter (31st March)?

Edited by Philipsfd
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
47 minutes ago, Philipsfd said:

Also I remember we went to Southport on a Friday in either late July or August and the thing that stands out is how shockingly bad the weather was - persistent rain all day. Does anyone having a likely date for this?

Looking at wetterzentrale it looks likely to have been either the 2nd or 9th of August

NOAA_1_2002080212_1.thumb.png.11bf06eff7b55a77b2f09c523713d369.pngthis looks like it could have been potentially a very wet or even quite thundery day for many

NOAA_1_2002080912_1.thumb.png.42c1453bbb402aa42daf8cc86bcb8520.pngthis one looks pretty grim

Posted
4 hours ago, Philipsfd said:

There was exceptional rainfall (showers) which lead to some flash flooding in Manchester on the afternoon of Friday 14th June (think there was thunder too).

Yes I remember that event, one of the few events that I do remember fro that year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Looking at wetterzentrale it looks likely to have been either the 2nd or 9th of August

NOAA_1_2002080212_1.thumb.png.11bf06eff7b55a77b2f09c523713d369.pngthis looks like it could have been potentially a very wet or even quite thundery day for many

NOAA_1_2002080912_1.thumb.png.42c1453bbb402aa42daf8cc86bcb8520.pngthis one looks pretty grim

From Met Reading:

The 2nd dawned with rain falling across N England, S and E Ireland and parts of E Scotland, with heavy rain over Yorkshire. Fog patches developed across Cent S England for a while around dawn. Rain continued to fall in these areas for much of the day, although the evening saw a clearance of rain and cloud over N England, and falls across S Scotland. Despite some cloud in S England during the day, most of W Scotland and S England had a dry day. Floods affects large areas of Yorkshire, with Leeming reporting its wettest day (ending at 0900GMT) as 91.2mm fell; 122mm had fallen there in 3 days by the evening. (Weybourne 25C, Benson 8C, Leeming 86mm, Folkestone 14.4h.)

The 9th began with wwidespread cloud over Britain but only a patchy cover over Ireland, and with a low centred over S England. Rain was widespread over England and E Scotland during the morning, with several waterspouts seen 10km due south of Bournemouth during the early hours of the morning. Rain continued to fall over Cent S and N England, and the Midlands and E Scotland for most of the day, as the low moved slowly to the Sussex coast by midnight, while Ireland and W Scotland had a showery day in a N airflow. A funnel cloud was seen at Cottesmore during the late afternoon, and another was sighted near Bridport. At Stratfield Mortimer, West Berkshire 21.4mm fell in 30 minutes commencing 1738GMT. This is the highest 30 minute fall recorded at this site since records commenced in April 1987, the previous highest fall for this duration being 18.4 mm on 3 July 1999. Four consecutive minutes commencing 1747 GMT reached 120 mm/h or more, the highest 1 minute intensity (at 1750 GMT) being 144 mm/h. There were only two or three weak claps of thunder at the inset of the storm. At Brookmans Park (Hertfordshire) 44mm fell in the 24 hours beginning at 0900GMT. Thunder was heard at a few places in S England during the afternoon. (Charlwood 22C, Stornoway 7C, Edinburgh 35mm, Tiree 8.4h.)

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/diary2002.html#0208

In Southport it must have been the 2nd. Down here it was a warm sunny day. The following Friday however was very wet with thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's a subjective thing but certainly when I rated Tyneside's weather from 1993 onwards from a personal preference perspective, 2002 came out as the lowest-rated year.  "Highlights" included the mild, wet and not particularly sunny second half of winter, the rather dull and windy summer, and the extremely grey December.  The spell of weather that I most positively remember from that year was from the last week of March through to the beginning of May.  April was a notably warm sunny month over much of England.  There was also quite a spectacular thunderstorm in Tyneside on the evening of the 2nd June.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
On 07/09/2018 at 00:15, LetItSnow! said:

2nd August 2002

Posted

My weather memories of 2002 are as follows.

The New Year actually started off freezing cold with a layer of snow on the ground, which had fallen on the evening of 29th Dec 01, along with freezing fog and hoar frost plus the canal been frozen hard enough to stand on. This is the only New Year I remember seeing snow around for, so at least it had that going for it. However I think it was by the morning of 2nd Jan it was all gone after milder weather returned.

I think May that year was a fairly pleasant month from what I remember. The only reason I do was because I used to be a bit of a Star Wars geek at the time and that was when 'Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones' came out and I seem to remember there been Sunny weather around then, if not particularly hot.

The Summer I remember as been pretty grey and wet though, as I do recall going on a caravan holiday sometime that Summer and the fact it was chucking it down on the way there (I can't seem to recall where exactly we went or even anything about the holiday itself though for some reason).

I also recall the December that year because I was hoping we would get another dumping of snow just after Christmas as we did in 2000 & 2001, only to be disappointed when we didn't (back then I naively thought those previous 2 years might have been the start of a new trend of late December snowfalls).

That's about all really I remember Weather wise, nothing much spectacular apart from the New Year starting freezing cold with a layer of snow around, even if it was all gone by the second day.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

While I had effectively given up on the weather between about 1997 and 2009, and thought we would never get heavy snowfall again, or I wouldn't see it anyhow, but that said, I remember the feb 2005 and March 2007(I think) and 2004 late Jan, none of which produced heavy snowfall for my location in the West Midlands back then so im sure I would have remembered if there was anything remotely interesting in 2002, so whether it was the worst or not is debatable but it certainly wasn't good.

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

the days when bbc forecast graphics were the best by miles!

so crap now

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

the days when bbc forecast graphics were the best by miles!

so crap now

Yes, have you looked at the key now? its laughable!!!    -     White can now mean any of 3 things, heavy snow, heavy cloud cover, or Thick fog, I don't know why an earth if they are going to persist with these graphics then at least do what they do on the models and colour code the snow pink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, have you looked at the key now? its laughable!!!    -     White can now mean any of 3 things, heavy snow, heavy cloud cover, or Thick fog, I don't know why an earth if they are going to persist with these graphics then at least do what they do on the models and colour code the snow pink.

so bad, bring back early naughties!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

so bad, bring back early naughties!

Better still bring back the 80s!!, In the naughties you wouldn't even need a colour code for snow so it would be irrelavent!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

While I had effectively given up on the weather between about 1997 and 2009, and thought we would never get heavy snowfall again, or I wouldn't see it anyhow, but that said, I remember the feb 2005 and March 2007(I think) and 2004 late Jan, none of which produced heavy snowfall for my location in the West Midlands back then so im sure I would have remembered if there was anything remotely interesting in 2002, so whether it was the worst or not is debatable but it certainly wasn't good.

I think the heavy snow we had here in late Dec 01 into the start of Jan 02 was actually a very local event, from what I can gather with places not far away missing out. I remember a friend of mine at the time who lived a few miles away came and stayed with his grandparents for a few days (who live closer to me) and he said there was no snow where he lives.

I had a similar experience in late December last year, when on Boxing Day we ended up with rain and a bit of sleet here. Then on the 28th I visited a friend who lives on the other side of Birmingham (Rubery) and much to my surprise as we got closer to his, there was snow everywhere. I didn't even expect it, so that was a nice surprise and therefore added to my perception of last Winter been quite a good one for snow events, along with the snowfall of 10th Dec which we did get here, along with the 2 beasts at the end of Winter/early Spring and the odd dusting in between.

Just goes to show though how local these things can be sometimes.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I think the heavy snow we had here in late Dec 01 into the start of Jan 02 was actually a very local event, from what I can gather with places not far away missing out. I remember a friend of mine at the time who lived a few miles away came and stayed with his grandparents for a few days (who live closer to me) and he said there was no snow where he lives.

I had a similar experience in late December last year, when on Boxing Day we ended up with rain and a bit of sleet here. Then on the 28th I visited a friend who lives on the other side of Birmingham (Rubery) and much to my surprise as we got closer to his, there was snow everywhere. I didn't even expect it, so that was a nice surprise and therefore added to my perception of last Winter been quite a good one for snow events, along with the snowfall of 10th Dec which we did get here, along with the 2 beasts at the end of Winter/early Spring and the odd dusting in between.

Yes, I do remember some 1 or 2 inch falls but I live not far from Rubery and I swear we didn't have any more than 3 inches possibly only 2, from 1998 up until feb 09 (when id moved somewhere else - typical!) - Last winter my mate said Birmingham was just like the 80s with some right dumpings but I don't know if he was winding me up because I didn't get as much or whether he doesn't remember how big the dumpings we used to get in the 80s, last year here I had probably about 10 inches in total if you count all the slushy deposits and half an inch falls and nobody bats an eyelid, most of the pensioners remember feet of snow piling up back in the day.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

missed my location that, remember Dec 28th '00 though, good event that

• Like 1