Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What did you think of Summer 2018?

What did you think of Summer 2018?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of this Summer?

• Best one in space!
    • Terrific
    • Good
    • Mostly good
    • Okay
    • A bit bad
    • Poor
    • Worse than eating sprouts
    • Most awful Summer ever!

Posted

Yes like many on here I feel this summer was exceptional but only because summer actually began mid April (remember we nearly broke the April temp record?) - so nearly four months of terrific weather between mid April and early August. 

I don't know if anyone can relate to this but I think around mid June I was saying that we'd already had our summer, the previous two months had been so good down here. And then we followed that with a full on 6 week heatwave! (bar one or two more average days). 

For me it beats 1995 because I do not recall a four month period like this one - I remember a fairly good June/July, followed by 4 outstanding weeks as July became August. Those 4 weeks were better than anything in 2018, but it couldn't match the spring/summer as a whole - well, until the 8th August, anyway. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

for me a great summer and enjoying living in the country (ish) as opposed to central London. Not as good in my opinion as 1995 too young for 76 - 89 though was also a great sunny summer !! 

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

yeah a complete zero here storm wise. Had a few Thundery showers which produced very little.

I don’t understand how so many people missed the late May storms? I thought they were quite widespread across England. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Taking summer June July and August it is right up there but behind 1976 and 1995 and probably behind 1984,1983 and 1989 omly because August let it down.For me it is the best start to any summer,if we were talking May to the end of July it would be the best [having said that 1989 also had a great may]Certainly by the midpoint of summer it already felt like summer had lasted a very long time and am not sure I have felt like that before,Brilliant.Hopefully next year will also be a great one as historically great ones come in pairs.I have been saying we are well overdue a drought for a few years now so glad it has finally turned up .

Posted
4 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Taking summer June July and August it is right up there but behind 1976 and 1995 and probably behind 1984,1983 and 1989 omly because August let it down.For me it is the best start to any summer,if we were talking May to the end of July it would be the best [having said that 1989 also had a great may]Certainly by the midpoint of summer it already felt like summer had lasted a very long time and am not sure I have felt like that before,Brilliant.Hopefully next year will also be a great one as historically great ones come in pairs.I have been saying we are well overdue a drought for a few years now so glad it has finally turned up .

Yes, 2019 will be another great summer, before we get the stinkers of 2020 and 2021. 

Posted

great summer. august not great overall but 2 weeks of it were spent in st ives in cornwall which has its own sunny micro-climate anyway. so my summer was brilliant. 

and (thankfully....)i DID get the 34ºc heat for a while which  i loved. summers shold be HOT and winters should be COLD! now bring on the arctic!!

• Like 1

Posted

Hmm? I quite like sprouts.

It was bang on average for Moldova, which saw day time highs between 28-32 most days. It actually got to average without any overly hot spells or cool spells. Good storms first half of summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Excellent June and July with loads of sunshine and warmth. August started very well but rapidly became disappointingly dull and dreary (as so many August’s have done). Not enough thunderstorms, either. 8/10 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

I've gone with terrific, 2 months dominates by blue skies and no wind (May and June), 1 month of humidity and an epic 2 day thunderstorm fest (July), and 1 month of Meh (August) which stopped it being the best ever. Here's a photo from each of those 4 months at my house east of Leeds. I'm counting May because it was so glorious! 20180519_124001.thumb.jpg.d9a5bf79940df3711d79317c404b2d2a.jpg20180629_153216.thumb.jpg.324efc5f4daa45578414a417dbca9a2d.jpg20180727_181112.thumb.jpg.8d359cd6d371b16b25493cb20becdbff.jpg20180825_180657.thumb.jpg.57dc87541908154368e7dabf2e770787.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Summery weather in September IS going to be o happen .  August put a little dampner on it for me so 1976 still remains the benchmark.  What I did like that ‘generally’ it wasn’t oppressively hot....just nice very warm/ to hot category

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
3 hours ago, bazookabob said:

I've gone with terrific, 2 months dominates by blue skies and no wind (May and June), 1 month of humidity and an epic 2 day thunderstorm fest (July), and 1 month of Meh (August) which stopped it being the best ever. Here's a photo from each of those 4 months at my house east of Leeds. I'm counting May because it was so glorious! 20180519_124001.thumb.jpg.d9a5bf79940df3711d79317c404b2d2a.jpg20180629_153216.thumb.jpg.324efc5f4daa45578414a417dbca9a2d.jpg20180727_181112.thumb.jpg.8d359cd6d371b16b25493cb20becdbff.jpg20180825_180657.thumb.jpg.57dc87541908154368e7dabf2e770787.jpg

Stunning pics! Demonstrates the transition from month to month rather well. Especially love the July one - impressive cloud structure to that storm. ?

Get the feeling for some if everything had happened a month later, it could have been one of the best Summers some have witnessed! When I think about it, May did feel Summery and looked to be a better month for thundery weather than the main Summer months put together (certainly for here, anyway).

@MP-R Will remember to add a ‘very good’ option next time. The jump from ‘good’ to ‘terrific’ is probably a bit much to be honest.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Loved it. Long hot summers is how it should be. Could have done with some more storms but overall, very happy. Would summer again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
57 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Stunning pics! Demonstrates the transition from month to month rather well. Especially love the July one - impressive cloud structure to that storm. ?

@MP-R

Thanks! That storm was the one that dropped golf ball sized hail on York. It was a Friday evening in late July. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t understand how so many people missed the late May storms? I thought they were quite widespread across England. 

Ironically, I was storm chasing in the US. If they happened when I wasn't here, then they didn't happen, much like March 2013 :D

But even if I did see the storms in May, they occurred in spring, not summer.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Ironically, I was storm chasing in the US. If they happened when I wasn't here, then they didn't happen, much like March 2013

But even if I did see the storms in May, they occurred in spring, not summer.

Late May is considered summer as far as I’m concerned. The feeling of summer is already with us by that stage, and more summery when compared to late August in recent years. 

2013 and 2016 were chilly mays though.

Posted
13 hours ago, hillbilly said:

You are right. By late June/early July time, it did seem that the heat and sunny weather was going on forever. Almost like you forgot about the weather and stopped looking at the forecast, because you knew it was guaranteed to be hot, sunny and dry, or at least 2 of the above.

The lack of rain and even cloud was noticeable for several weeks during June and July, until early August. We only had a few days here and there of dull weather in London. 

The last summer we had such a long lasting spell of endless sunshine, was definitely 1995(another period of 4-6 weeks of endless heat and sun).

2003, 2006 and 2013 were good enough though, but 2018 will be remembered more fondly, partly because I tend to remember World Cup summers more for some reason. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Summery weather in September IS going to be o happen .  August put a little dampner on it for me so 1976 still remains the benchmark.  What I did like that ‘generally’ it wasn’t oppressively hot....just nice very warm/ to hot category

BFTP

If you weren’t in London. July was almost too hot at times, while working in central London. I love the heat, but many days of 30-32 was getting unbearable for using the tube, and I’m enjoy the heat most of the time. 

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Thanks! That storm was the one that dropped golf ball sized hail on York. It was a Friday evening in late July. 

I think we had some of that in West London in late July. My partner was working outside in a garden, and she was soaked. It started around 7pm I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

can't really vote. for me, heat wise, storm wise it was pure cr%p

But in terms of a summer it was 'great'

But not for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Late May is considered summer as far as I’m concerned. The feeling of summer is already with us by that stage, and more summery when compared to late August in recent years. 

2013 and 2016 were chilly mays though.

Meteorologically, summer begins on 1st June, just makes it easier to keep stats "tidy". Regardless, I didn't hear a single rumble of thunder during any of the three summer months, that's really poor even by UK standards.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Go on lightning strikes for May 2018  on this link and note hardly any strikes for northern England

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Meteorologically, summer begins on 1st June, just makes it easier to keep stats "tidy". Regardless, I didn't hear a single rumble of thunder during any of the three summer months, that's really poor even by UK standards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

If you weren’t in London. July was almost too hot at times, while working in central London. I love the heat, but many days of 30-32 was getting unbearable for using the tube, and I’m enjoy the heat most of the time. 

Indeed, but 30-32 as a rule isn’t oppressive heat 

BFTP

• Like 1