Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What did you think of Summer 2018?

What did you think of Summer 2018?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of this Summer?

• Best one in space!
    • Terrific
    • Good
    • Mostly good
    • Okay
    • A bit bad
    • Poor
    • Worse than eating sprouts
    • Most awful Summer ever!

Posted

I’m aware it didn’t get going for many in the east for several weeks but here in the West Country it was one of the best ever. It started early and June and July were fantastic. But August ended it with a damp squib which was disappointing, especially as that’s when I took a week off.

I’m one of those who goes by astronomical dates so for me it’s still summer, and September is doing better than August currently. 

I too missed thunder. We had a good day in May but after that all thunderstorms stuck in the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
21 hours ago, Jon Somerset said:

I’m aware it didn’t get going for many in the east for several weeks but here in the West Country it was one of the best ever. It started early and June and July were fantastic. But August ended it with a damp squib which was disappointing, especially as that’s when I took a week off.

I’m one of those who goes by astronomical dates so for me it’s still summer, and September is doing better than August currently.

I too missed thunder. We had a good day in May but after that all thunderstorms stuck in the east.

eh?.... is it?.... really?....

the first 5 days of august were widespread hot and sunny and dry... ive not had 1 day in september that hit 'hot', (25c+) . september has been average at best for the first 11 days... disappointing for a lot of the time.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

From Late April, and still on going the predominatly sunny and warm conditions have been exceptional.

The very hot and Dry conditions of June and July will long live in the memory with a top temperature on the Sussex coast of 31c in that time and many days of 28c.

No rain fell in June at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

eh?.... is it?.... really?....

the first 5 days of august were widespread hot and sunny and dry... ive not had 1 day in september that hit 'hot', (25c+) . september has been average at best for the first 11 days... disappointing for a lot of the time.

As someone who also lives in the West Country, I can assure you it's no different to August lol. August had both heat to start (which this month hasn't) and a few soaker days (which this month also hasn't yet). In between all that it was often settled but cloudy/humid with the odd sunny day in between. This also sums up how September has been so far. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.
On 10/09/2018 at 13:36, Jon Somerset said:

When you say the east I assume that doesn’t include the southeast I.e. Essex and Kent as Summer 2018 here in Chelmsford will go down as a memorable one. We don’t often suffer from sea mist with the relatively short sea track to the continent.

It started really in April, I ran the London Marathon in record breaking marathon temps for London and this was followed by up a record breaking May Bank holiday. Most of May was fine, dry and sunny here and the 2nd bank holiday was another hot sunny one.

The first week of June was mostly dry and warm but we had a couple of cloudy days although I enjoyed a week in the Lake District which was also mostly fine, dry and warm.

When I got back it was relentless all the way to mid August. Most days were above 25c and we had one week where everyday recorded 30c+ (recorded at the local weather station - Writtle) the last day of this spell had 34c. 

I do though concur that thunder was almost non existent. We had one maybe two weak thunderstorms. 

The second half of August was more mixed and a little disappointing compared to what we had just encountered!

Most people were talking about installing air con as it was warm at night, I’m sure a cooler wetter summer will make people forget about that. 

Edited by Alex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I voted for mostly good.
June and July were great but August was around average. To come to think of it, I think August 2016 is the only particularly good August we have had since 2003.

Posted

As someone who isn't a fan of really hot weather, I have to say this has been a good summer and a blistering one especially with the June and July heat has been worthwhile. August did crap out, but we needed the rain and there was some pleasent days in the mix. Thankfully this hot summer has laid the foundation for what's been a standard September and a good autumn and winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective

I would say it has been a good summer but at times it was too hot for me personally and august was too wet.I shall keep dreaming  of my perfect summer for now.just would have liked more thunderstorms with the heat TBH.

Posted

The late May storms were some of the best, for those who did catch them. West London was badly hit. Constant lightning for an hour and heavy torrential rain. Then, another batch of storms on the bank holiday evening, and on and off during the Tuesday. Then, after that the heat started to build once more until early August. 

Posted

I found this difficult. As summers go it was a long hot summer that we're supposed to enjoy. But I find hot summers in these islands far too humid. At 60+ I tend to stay indoors after 26-30C. Can venture out briefly, maybe 1 afternoon in 3. If 30C+, then def. indoors, exc. rush to shopping and back. I'm used to dry mountain or semi-desert/desert climates, continental, not insular. We are 'in the middle' of the north Atlantic after all! So as British summers go...long hot and good, esp. after freezing -15C winter. But for me I'd rather have a steady 18-23C, dry with a light breeze and the odd refreshing shower... Doesn't happen, does it? So the best I could answer was...OK.

Edited by Philip Andrews
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

I am only young so the only "classic" Summers that I've experience are 2003, 2006, 2013 and 2018. I can't remember 2003 as I was only two years of age. 2006 I remember very vividly and it felt like endless heat or sunshine whilst on holidays in a mobile. July 2006 was my favourite Summer month I have experienced so far. 2013 I found alright, July was stunning but don't know, something just makes it not a favourite of mine for some reason; I preferred July 2014 over July 2013, maybe because I did more in 2014. Summer 2018 until August was easily my favourite because of the almost constant sunshine (June 2018 was Dublin's third sunniest June on record and one of the sunniest months on record) and perfect feel to the weather. It never got too warm here because of the sea breezes I had. Therefore, it was absolutely perfect..... until August came in like the usual damp squib it is. August wasn't terrible like 2011 but it was extremely boring; little rain, little sun, no remarkable temperatures after the first week here. 

This was one of my favourite pictures I took during this Summer at Howth Head on 30th June. 

May to July was probably among the best you could find in this country though for this part of Ireland, it was slightly beaten by 1989 going by the stats due to July 1989 being sunnier and warmer than July 2018 here.

36452937_2116874558341514_4323080747465310208_n.thumb.jpg.6a4f4016806223c88305490068cf27cc.jpg

Edited by BruenSryan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I went to Provence in early June and it predictably warm ( mid to high 20s). What I didn't realise was when I came home, it continued in this vein week after week. After a week of uncomfortable sleeping, I pitched a tent in the garden and stayed there for 6 weeks!

Incredible summer. 

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted

The most notable thing was how hot it was at night between mid June and early August. I remember some nights the temps were hovering around 19-21c even at 2am, and living in West London, even further away from the central area, it still felt uncomfortable at times. 

We actually took ourselves off to the common a few times after 8pm and sat there for half hour or so, just to get out of the flat. It definitely was the best summer overall since 2013 in London, and the sunniest one going all the way back to 2003, or even 1995.

Posted

Glad too see the back of it to be honest. Tediously samey for weeks/months on end without even a good storm to mix things up a bit. Nope, for me anyway, goodbye summer 2018,you won't be missed. Let's get some proper weather now.