Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What did you think of Summer 2018?

What did you think of Summer 2018?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of this Summer?

• Best one in space!
    • Terrific
    • Good
    • Mostly good
    • Okay
    • A bit bad
    • Poor
    • Worse than eating sprouts
    • Most awful Summer ever!

Posted

To hot and to dry. Glad it is over. Hope we don't see another summer like this for a very long time. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I agree with you, Sunny76: the last time we saw May-Aug sunshine totals like this year's must have been 1995...?

Yes, it was the longest spell of sunny and warm weather since 1995, and that for me is what makes it better than 2006 and 2003, although both of those years were really good for settled warm to hot spells.

Posted
25 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

To hot and to dry. Glad it is over. Hope we don't see another summer like this for a very long time. 

I would rather that, than the cloudy and cool affairs of the previous few years.

I will admit though, a few days in July were too hot, when we reached 34-35c, and those 20c nights seemed unbearable.

The cool crisp mornings now though, makes it seem already a long time ago lol.

A great summer, and although August was disappointing, it was a better start for many years, plus the May to July period more than made up for it.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I think in terms of longevity of the warmth and dry weather it was very interesting and pretty much exceptional. I've never known it be so dry for so long. But in terms of individual temperature extremes it was a little bit of a non-event.

Ps. Any chance of adding your location to your profile please? Just gives us an idea of where "here" is when reporting weather stats! Cheers.

You keep asking me this lol. The location is West London. 

Temps were still quite high, I don’t think record breaking temps need to be achieved, as most people will take more notice of longer periods of 27-32c days, as opposed to one week of 32-34c weather, before a cooler period of weather.

It may not have been the hottest, but it was one of the longer spells of hot weather for a long time. As long as the sun is out, that’s the most important thing. 

Posted

Nice to have lots of sunshine, but it was just too hot at times for me.  Still overall better than our average dross summers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

I think in terms of longevity of the warmth and dry weather it was very interesting and pretty much exceptional. I've never known it be so dry for so long. But in terms of individual temperature extremes it was a little bit of a non-event.

Ps. Any chance of adding your location to your profile please? Just gives us an idea of where "here" is when reporting weather stats! Cheers.

really?... you young then?...lol..

i can only go on grass growth, as that affects my income directly.  the last time i had lost so much was 2003.. and that lasted into autumn . before that was 95... but i lost in 90 and 91 too . before that its the usual suspects - 75-6, 83-4, . 79 was dry too in summer but not hot.

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

really?... you young then?...lol..

i can only go on grass growth, as that affects my income directly.  the last time i had lost so much was 2003.. and that lasted into autumn . before that was 95... but i lost in 90 and 91 too . before that its the usual suspects - 75-6, 83-4, . 79 was dry too in summer but not hot.

I'm 26, so yes thank you!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
43 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

1983, 84, 89 and 90 along with 95 had better Augusts, but most people seem to focus on 1976, especially people who I work with. 

Most people have short memories lol.

Yes even those more mature of us out there all seem to quote 1976 as a clear leader.It obviously varies from different areas but the 'Manchester summer index' lists 1976 as 301 compared to 298 for 1995 for the summer.Here however 1995 had half the summer rainfall of 1976 and the drought was much more prolonged into autumn .!983,84 and 89 all had great Augusts and overall beat all other summers in the last 30 years except that of 1995

Posted

You keep asking me this lol. The location is West London. Sunny 76

It would help if you put it in your avatar is why a couple of us keep asking, the older I get the less I remember.

Please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Some of the oldsters are a patronising lot, just because we weren’t around for the great ice age of 1963.

I remember the good summers of 1959, the savage winter of '62/63, summer '75, the classic summer of '76 then summer '84.  After that, no memory of anything worth the effort of recalling them. Winter '81/82 was almost as nasty as '62/63.

Edit: I love sprouts although Heaven help anyone who has to share my space afterwards. 

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

but 2014 wasnt a 'good' summer... it wasnt even average... and july wasnt 'hot'.. it was 23rd warmest according to reefs post above.. way behind others. and 26th according to the manchester data

It was for me though not as good as this year. A decent June and July's mean maxima was 2C above average. August was cool though.
26th is quite good in an index including 118 summers..
It was actually sunnier than than 2018 in parts of the SW (as was 2013).

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

1983, 84, 89 and 90 along with 95 had better Augusts, but most people seem to focus on 1976, especially people who I work with. 

Most people have short memories lol.

Summer 1976 is probably more memorable for a lot of people because of the extremity of it at the time compared to any other year, in well years probably, plus the fact it still holds the crown as the number 1 hottest Summer, in the CET zone at least. I know 1975 was also a good Summer, but obviously that would have been overshadowed by the following Summer and if you consider the period before then i.e the 60s and early 70s it must have been a major contrast. I'd imagine say 1911 would also have been remembered for a long time afterwards for similar reasons. For me of course 1995 would probably be the first 'famous' Summer I remember, but for people who lived through 1976, it probably would have faded a bit in the memory as it wouldn't have been such a benchmark for them. Also the fact there were other decent Summers not too long before 1995, such as 89, 90 and to a lesser degree 91 and 94 (plus maybe even 83 and 84 would have still felt much more recent at the time), might have made 95 seem a little more normal and a bit less novel perhaps than say 76, not to mention at the time like all decent Summers it would have been constantly compared to 76 in the media no doubt reinforcing people's memories of that Summer. Beyond weather enthusiasts though, you've got to wonder if it wasn't for the media reminding people of the Summer of 1976 or even say the Winter of 1962-63, how many people who do remember these periods would be able to confidently pin these memories to their specific year of occurrence anyway? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Painfully hot never experienced such a summer here with temps peaking at 33c which was unbearable we get that type of tempreture very rarely though it has occurred twic in the past few years still very rare we ever see temps as high as 33c it was the longetivity of the heat & dry weather that made is so exceptional never known a summer with so many  days above 20c it must be a record up here i dare say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
On 01/09/2018 at 19:42, Nick L said:

Thankfully we avoided too much in the way of serious heat. But this summer was utter garbage for storms.

Try living on the edge of Sheffield watching  storms go in every direction except over you never known anything like it, we haven't had one Thunderstorm here all summer yet places 10 miles to the south in Chesterfield have had several you could not make it up, to say it was frustrating would be understatement.

Edited by Derbyshire_snow

Posted
9 hours ago, johnholmes said:

You keep asking me this lol. The location is West London. Sunny 76

It would help if you put it in your avatar is why a couple of us keep asking, the older I get the less I remember.

Please?

No worries mate. Apologies everyone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
14 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Summer 1976 is probably more memorable for a lot of people because of the extremity of it at the time compared to any other year, in well years probably, plus the fact it still holds the crown as the number 1 hottest Summer, in the CET zone at least. I know 1975 was also a good Summer, but obviously that would have been overshadowed by the following Summer and if you consider the period before then i.e the 60s and early 70s it must have been a major contrast. I'd imagine say 1911 would also have been remembered for a long time afterwards for similar reasons. For me of course 1995 would probably be the first 'famous' Summer I remember, but for people who lived through 1976, it probably would have faded a bit in the memory as it wouldn't have been such a benchmark for them. Also the fact there were other decent Summers not too long before 1995, such as 89, 90 and to a lesser degree 91 and 94 (plus maybe even 83 and 84 would have still felt much more recent at the time), might have made 95 seem a little more normal and a bit less novel perhaps than say 76, not to mention at the time like all decent Summers it would have been constantly compared to 76 in the media no doubt reinforcing people's memories of that Summer. Beyond weather enthusiasts though, you've got to wonder if it wasn't for the media reminding people of the Summer of 1976 or even say the Winter of 1962-63, how many people who do remember these periods would be able to confidently pin these memories to their specific year of occurrence anyway? 

completely agree, especially about 75 being overshadowed by 76, but in part 76's success (if you can call it that) was due to 75 hot summer with little rain and the following winter was pretty dry too.

the drought of 76 was actually the drought of 75, 76.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I remember the summer of 1976 as I was 13 at the time and living in Plaistow London and as I was younger I tolerated the heat more.  I found the heat in this year's summer completely intolerable due to my age and that I am chronically ill.  In the early 2000's right up to 2005, I was very tolerant of the heat and could sit in the sun for long periods of time but not any more.  Since 5 years ago my tolerance to heat has lowered greatly.  This summer has had a severe lack of thunderstorms and I only remember seeing one good thunderstorm this year.  I too find the summer of 1976 to be a memorable one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I will remember 2018 for its dryness more than its warmth.  Seemed to be a strange lack of Southernlies this year apart from 26/27 July but i am disappointed because Manchester never got much intense heat and humidity like we do in big summers.  Probably the first big summer ive known with brilliant sypnotics where Manchester never had a single 25C at midnight.  

Posted
On 07/09/2018 at 11:16, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

So back to coolish Atlantic driven gunk then?

Nah, the summer was amazing.  There will be a few (odd)  people like you who didn't appreciate the summer but the vast majority I know loved it!

Posted
1 hour ago, mulzy said:

So back to coolish Atlantic driven gunk then?

Nah, the summer was amazing.  There will be a few (odd)  people like you who didn't appreciate the summer but the vast majority I know loved it!

More than a few I'd say, and it's all subjective isn't it? 

I'm in no way a fan of the heat- but like the sunshine/ daylight. My ideal would be to live in the northern reaches of Scandinavia in the summer, and then back down further south for winter, but not too south to miss the cold... 

For this summer for me, it was good- not too humid, and so sunny. Well, June and July at least. August felt like such a dull month, even though it was pretty average in reality- but was happy for the cooler temperatures by then. 

Went for 'Mostly good' as I think I heard one clap of thunder all summer, and there were points in July when I would have liked a bit of a break from it. August was just bland- not good, not bad. 

Now bring on a wet and windy Autumn- barring the March craziness it seems like we've had a really benign period of weather the past couple of years.