Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What did you think of Summer 2018?

What did you think of Summer 2018?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of this Summer?

• Best one in space!
    • Terrific
    • Good
    • Mostly good
    • Okay
    • A bit bad
    • Poor
    • Worse than eating sprouts
    • Most awful Summer ever!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A good summer here with plenty of dry days, in fact I can’t remember many wet days at all. Being near the sea means I missed out on most of the heat with the sea breezes that picked up most days but it was still nice and warm with the odd hot day thrown in. Didn’t quite reach the magic 30°C mark with a high of 29.7°C on 2nd July.

June was warm and dry with just 0.4mm of rain for the whole month.

The first half of July was also very dry and warm or occasionally hot before a more changeable but still warm second half of the month. 

August was more mixed but still mostly settled with a lot of warm weather and just a few wetter and cooler days. 

Overall I’d say it was the best summer I can remember (I was too young in 1995). The only things that could’ve made it better would’ve been more hot days here, rather than just warm, and a few more storms would’ve been good. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Indeed, but 30-32 as a rule isn’t oppressive heat 

BFTP

Indeed, Fred: it was the 17C+ nights that bothered me most. Otherwise, a wonderful summer IMO!:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

I resigned from my job on 29th March and ended up on 5 months garden leave...April, May, June and the beginning of July were great, got lots of jobs done inside and out and lost over a stone by getting plenty of walks in, managing to average about 35 miles / week.

Possibly the best summer of my life!!

Back to work tomorrow with the new company...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Good, would have been better but August was, as usual, forgettable.

June was warm & pleasant, July was hot but not uncomfortably so; August was mostly grey, breezy (sometimes very windy) and plenty of rain. 

Posted
2 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Indeed, but 30-32 as a rule isn’t oppressive heat 

BFTP

It is when you use the tube. I’m not saying it’s too hot, but for a big city, temps between 24 to 27c are reasonable. Without being too cold or too hot. But, if I’m asked the question about which weather I prefer, I’ll take the heat of 30 plus over weeks of cloudy cool weather.

A few cool days are good, but not when they last for several weeks, which has been the case in past summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed, Fred: it was the 17C+ nights that bothered me most. Otherwise, a wonderful summer IMO!

Didn’t seem too many of them imo a Pete, a very good summer Barr August overall

BFTP

Posted

A pleasant summer this year with consistent warmth from May to the end of July, rather than anything record breaking.  August was the worst of a good bunch but not terrible by any means. 

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

A great summer but lack of thunderstorms. Only one in April 

• Like 1

Posted

A great summer, I voted terrific as apposed to the best in space because although it's been consistenly warm/hot I still feel like there could have been more days with unbroken sunshine! 

I understand that this year was wetter and cloudier than 1976 but warmest for England.

I'm not neccesarily a fan of the heat but i am of the sun, give me spring all year round.

My perfect summer would be temperatures around 23oC, low humidity during the day with clear blue skies and then some cloud overnight to keep the late evenings warm and the odd shower every week or so overnight to keep things green.

Ofcourse that's never going to happen but that would be ideal.

It really has been interesting following the weather day to day this summer and actually having a summer where we can sit outside, most days and get out and about without even giving the weather (or even a jumper) so much as a thought! 

Posted
22 minutes ago, ARW WeatherMan said:

A great summer, I voted terrific as apposed to the best in space because although it's been consistenly warm/hot I still feel like there could have been more days with unbroken sunshine! 

I understand that this year was wetter and cloudier than 1976 but warmest for England.

I'm not neccesarily a fan of the heat but i am of the sun, give me spring all year round.

My perfect summer would be temperatures around 23oC, low humidity during the day with clear blue skies and then some cloud overnight to keep the late evenings warm and the odd shower every week or so overnight to keep things green.

Ofcourse that's never going to happen but that would be ideal.

It really has been interesting following the weather day to day this summer and actually having a summer where we can sit outside, most days and get out and about without even giving the weather (or even a jumper) so much as a thought! 

I think we 2018 has been interesting, given we had the snowy period in February and early March, then the cold early spring, dullness which then gave way to a warmer late April. May to early August was definitely the best period of settled weather for many years.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think we 2018 has been interesting, given we had the snowy period in February and early March, then the cold early spring, dullness which then gave way to a warmer late April. May to early August was definitely the best period of settled weather for many years.

Yes it was great to go from extreme cold to warmth in my opinion, I hate the dull dreary grey days you can often get in early spring and even in the extreme cold spell, because the air was so dry we had a lot of sunshine. Well remembered will be the 23rd, 24th and 25th of February; for our aniversary we went to devon and stayed in beautiful appartment with a hottub outside 

Although the winds were bitingly cold we had deep blue sky from the moment we set off on the friday to the moment we got home on the Sunday evening! Sitting in the hottub nice and warm but with either blue skies or starry skies was reminiscent of being in Iceland.

I would 100% so far play this year on repeat for the rest of my life and be content!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

it was actually a bit strange... the best summer for 23 years, the best august for 15.. but for all the heat and drought, we missed out (well most of us did) on a decent, long draw southerly . so we only (here) had 3 days of 30c+, and no real proper summer thunderstorms - which for such a 'good' summer, possibly the 4th best in the last 60 years? is quite an anomaly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
48 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

yes, 2 seperate snow events (here) in march, followed by the hottest april 19th on record!

Posted
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Tortuously uneventful. Same weather day in day out apart from latter part of August. 

Nothing to get excited about. 

Glad to see the back of it..Zzzzzzzz.

Christ, do you prefer dull dreary weather? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

As I have already posted for me it was right up there with the best but for those few who didn't like it  don't worry because you are only likely to see a summer like this 3 times in your life,maybe 4 ir you are so lucky/unlucky!

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Christ, do you prefer dull dreary weather? 

Sorry for answering the question asked. 

Here is I'm sure the preferred answer to go along with the Netweather narrative. 

It was a fabulous summer, best ever, non stop sunshine, endless barbecues, beers on the lawn in the evening, no rain to spoil the endless Mediterranean paradise that was summer 2018. Let's hope it never ends. 

Will that do mate? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Sorry for answering the question asked. 

Here is I'm sure the preferred answer to go along with the Netweather narrative. 

It was a fabulous summer, best ever, non stop sunshine, endless barbecues, beers on the lawn in the evening, no rain to spoil the endless Mediterranean paradise that was summer 2018. Let's hope it never ends. 

Will that do mate? 

Yeah that will do. I detect the sarcasm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Good thread, summer 2018 needs a post-mortem! My view:

Context: this season started after I'd been drawn out from being a 'lurker' to posting regularly on the model output because of the Beast from the East.  But winter went straight into summer mid April, and the massive interest continued.  

So into early May, and the thing that struck me for an avid model watcher since 2011, was how different the output seemed from what I'd seen in previous years.  Maybe this was the thing we hadn't seen in living memory, the real UK summer.  

If you include late April and all of May, through June and July to 8 August, then that period is hard to beat - ever.  The three subsequent weeks in August were less settled, while in my neck of the woods being apart from two wholly vile days, just average UK summer weather.  

In summery  Summer 2018 was one of the very best in my lifetime.

Now what?

I'm taking a break from the model thread, but apart from an unsettled blip this weekend most of September looks settled, ECM 12z at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.f04604a40471ce2a43361b271675d07c.jpg

onwards thoughts to winter, my initial feeling is front loaded cold a la 2009/10, but that is one for another thread!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted

I think the winter will be milder at first, maybe with a cold November, before things turn relatively damp and mild for December. However, I see the Christmas period being cold, and staying that way during much of January and into the first half of February. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I think it was one of the best summer's I could have hoped for, 2 months of it being 27-30c almost every day with pure sunshine, virtually no rain bar the odd shower. A bit too hot when in work, but nice when at home. Then August gave us a relief with some needed cool and wetter weather. 

Would have a repeat of that next year please! The only thing I would ask for is some more thunderstorms as I haven't seen any

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted

'mostly good'

may june and july were great here, august has been typical of the last few , poor , but not a complete disaster , factor in the lack thundery stuff marks this summer down another notch 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here...May, June and July were consistently warm to very warm...August started Hot and records were broken across southern Alberta with temps above 40c..unfortunately Autumn arrived in the last 10 days and summer finished very cool and wet..another note it was the smokiest summer on record here due to the wild fires in BC..some days were particularly bad with air quality off the scale at 10+..this also took the top of the temps in late July and August by 3-4c..storm wise it was the least stormy summer i have experienced here.