Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Cornwall
  • Location: Cornwall
    5 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

    Its still a strong hurricane, especially for its latitude. However from what I've read the eyewall replacement cycle yesterday took longer then forecast allowing more dry air into the hurricane which weakened it a bit. Someone may stand to correct me.

    Can it still strengthen if possible ? Or it's just getting weaken by landfall ?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 519
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Nice feed here    

    Had to share this:  

    This a beautiful satellite picture from NOAA showing the three tropical disturbances...

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Location: New Zealand
    10 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

    Its still a strong hurricane, especially for its latitude. However from what I've read the eyewall replacement cycle yesterday took longer then forecast allowing more dry air into the hurricane which weakened it a bit. Someone may stand to correct me.

    Apparently there was an upper level low near florida feeding it dry air, or so Brendan says.

    In any case, the sheer size of this storm, as well as a very unusual direction for landfall in this area, still makes this a very very dangerous hurricane.

    People tend to forget that the wind difference between Cat 3 and Cat 5 is primarily the intensity of a comparatively small area in the middle of the storm (and of course, potentially a difference in size, surge, etc....). If you're in the path of the eye, that's a pretty important difference... but for the vast majority of those affected by a hurricane falling onto a large landmass, it's the wider winfield that matters, and this thing is huge.

    In addition, it's huge, which means that, as it's coming towards the land directly from the sea (not skirting land at an oblique angle as per usual), it's pushing a considerable surge with it. It's also taking all that rain, and dumping it over land...so not only do you get 20 inches under the area of the CDO, but you get 15 inches around that area, and 10 inches further out from that.... basically, it dumps a biblical amount of rain, and then a slightly less biblical amount of rain just beyond that, saturating the ground, giving it nowhere to drain, and filling rivers from both ends.

    Even as a Category 2, Florence is pretty darned nasty.

    Edited by crimsone
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Location: New Zealand
    3 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

    Can it still strengthen if possible ? Or it's just getting weaken by landfall ?

    It is unlikely to strengthen.... but never say never.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wellington, Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
  • Location: Wellington, Somerset
    27 minutes ago, crimsone said:

    Apparently there was an upper level low near florida feeding it dry air, or so Brendan says.

    In any case, the sheer size of this storm, as well as a very unusual direction for landfall in this area, still makes this a very very dangerous hurricane.

    People tend to forget that the wind difference between Cat 3 and Cat 5 is primarily the intensity of a comparatively small area in the middle of the storm (and of course, potentially a difference in size, surge, etc....). If you're in the path of the eye, that's a pretty important difference... but for the vast majority of those affected by a hurricane falling onto a large landmass, it's the wider winfield that matters, and this thing is huge.

    In addition, it's huge, which means that, as it's coming towards the land directly from the sea (not skirting land at an oblique angle as per usual), it's pushing a considerable surge with it. It's also taking all that rain, and dumping it over land...so not only do you get 20 inches under the area of the CDO, but you get 15 inches around that area, and 10 inches further out from that.... basically, it dumps a biblical amount of rain, and then a slightly less biblical amount of rain just beyond that, saturating the ground, giving it nowhere to drain, and filling rivers from both ends.

    Even as a Category 2, Florence is pretty darned nasty.

    An upper tropospheric (250mb) low fed some dry air but also led to shear on the southern side of Florence. This was mentioned in the recent NHC discussion, recent imagery however from the GOES - 16 shows very cold cloud tops now on the southern side. However,  early land interaction seems to be limiting this from wrapping around the eyewall, thus intensity probably won't change much despite the high ocean heat content available to Florence :) . 

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: All
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District

    I think Avalon Pier might collapse soon. The whole thing is twisting like a snake. The benches keep going out of line and back again.

    https://www.visitob.com/webcams/avalon-fishing-pier-webcam/

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Deal, Kent
  • Location: Deal, Kent
    28 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

    I think Avalon Pier might collapse soon. The whole thing is twisting like a snake. The benches keep going out of line and back again.

    https://www.visitob.com/webcams/avalon-fishing-pier-webcam/

    And yet a Man and two young girls are strolling along it?

    Beggars belief!

     

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: The Purbeck Microclimate, Dorset.
  • Weather Preferences: Gales, T-storms, Heavy Rain, Heat, Cold - Love it all.
  • Location: The Purbeck Microclimate, Dorset.

    Houses already being ripped apart by the outer bands of Florence.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

    Yikes ?

     

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(100m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(100m asl)

    A couple of storm chasers in America

    John Humphress

    https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/

    Brett Adair and Aaron Rigsby

    https://livestormchasing.com/map

    stay safe guys.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Whaley Bridge - Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: RACY, Extratropical Storm, Barocyclonic Leaf
  • Location: Whaley Bridge - Peak District

    Mark Sudduth live over in Topsail 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHLkvZpEH_c

    • Thanks 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Whaley Bridge - Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: RACY, Extratropical Storm, Barocyclonic Leaf
  • Location: Whaley Bridge - Peak District

    Shoutout for Force Thirteen on YT aswell

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: All
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District

    Anyone got 

    24 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

    Watching the end moving, don't give it long !

     

    www.pscp.tv/w/1vAxREqbOrVJl?q=hurricane+florence

     

     

     

    Looks dodgy that pier. waving about in the wind and waves

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Mid Essex
  • Location: Mid Essex
    5 hours ago, Skullzrulerz said:

    How come this hurricane is a lot weaker then forecasted ?

    Is it not a case of the media and others winding things up, without addding the warning nature has the nasty habit of bowling a curved ball? Some on here at least try and indicate the unknown possibilities. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Mid Essex
  • Location: Mid Essex
    8 hours ago, ciel said:

    What is sad, though, is how quickly the media forgets the trauma and turns its attention to the next impending disaster.

    Obviously picking a scab is not exciting enough. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Location: Czech Republic

     

    Not really weaker in my book. It is still a beast.

    That Frying Pan Tower cam is crazy right now. The wind is really picking up

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hastings, East Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
  • Location: Hastings, East Sussex
    21 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

    Anyone got 

    Looks dodgy that pier. waving about in the wind and waves

    Do you reckon it will go ? I can't stop watching it in case I miss if it does !

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: All
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
    Just now, Hurricane Debby said:

    Do you reckon it will go ? I can't stop watching it in case I miss if it does !

    I think it will.

    Also watching the Frying Pan platform, that is one mean sea and the flag should get ripped off soon too.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester Deansgate.
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
  • Location: Manchester Deansgate.

    We still need a lot more hurricanes in the next month or so, from what I gather at the moment this is still a below average season, the more hurricanes, the more chance of blocking in winter apparently.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Mytholmroyd, West Yorks.......
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
  • Location: Mytholmroyd, West Yorks.......

    I believe we are currently joint top with the most tropical storms on the planet at one time?

    Edited by Gray-Wolf
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester
  • Location: Manchester
    24 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

    We still need a lot more hurricanes in the next month or so, from what I gather at the moment this is still a below average season, the more hurricanes, the more chance of blocking in winter apparently.

    Not much on the horizon for next week so the Atlantic is going to sleep again.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Mytholmroyd, West Yorks.......
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
  • Location: Mytholmroyd, West Yorks.......
    22 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

    I believe we are currently joint top with the most tropical storms on the planet at one time?

    If Kirk now forms in the G.O.M. then we will hold the new record!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester Deansgate.
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
  • Location: Manchester Deansgate.
    1 minute ago, Gray-Wolf said:

    If Kirk now forms in the G.O.M. then we will hold the new record!

    We need them all to turn into hurricanes, preferably major hurricanes.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

      UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2021-05-13 09:41:14 Valid: 13/05/2021 0600 - 14/05/2021 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - WEDS 13TH MAY 2021 Click here for the full forecast

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 1

      Cool & showery theme to continue for the foreseeable as low pressure sticks close by

      Showers or longer spells of rain to end the week and through the weekend. Some sunny spells too, but staying on the cool side, with temperatures generally remaining below average. Staying unsettled next week too. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Weekend plans: Day trips and evenings out

      Little change by this weekend with further heavy showers. There will be some warm sunshine in between but temperatures remain in the teens with more of a breeze. Still cool for sitting out. Read more here

      Jo Farrow
      Jo Farrow
      Latest weather updates from Netweather
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...