Sign in to follow this  
Iceberg

Hurricane Florence

Pressure looks to be falling again down from 952 to 950. 

Deep connective ring again around the new 3-4 Times the size eye. 

CA8F66D9-B0FD-49CF-8481-B9F76C9D02B5.png

143kt at flight level is impressive. I expect to see Cat4 again in the next advisory.

My friend is in Virginia and will be there for landfall. They're currently debating evacuating. I've told him not to take this thing lightly.

1 hour ago, Azazel said:

My friend is in Virginia and will be there for landfall. They're currently debating evacuating. I've told him not to take this thing lightly.

Good call Azazel. I believe they have been ordered to leave so tell him do as they say as it will only strain emergency services if there is a problem. Pack up and go!! 

Azael, so' s my friend. They are going but all their neighbours just aren't bothered at all.

Considering how far Bermuda is from this system, the wind is certainly picking up.

http://www.portbermudawebcam.com

There are so many cameras along the coast, you should see swells picking up very soon.

Angers me when people are so pig-headed and refuse to evacuate. If they want to risk their lives, then fine, but there will inevitably be people risking their lives to try and rescue them when things go wrong. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Angers me when people are so pig-headed and refuse to evacuate. If they want to risk their lives, then fine, but there will inevitably be people risking their lives to try and rescue them when things go wrong. 

I'm sure evacuation  was mandatory  but a fool and his /her life is easily parted I guess

Afternoon-

Just checked in on Florence, after the ERC the eye is now perfectly clear & shows no signs of being ragged - in that its very circular, nice deep convection rebuilding around the core & cold cloud tops-

If theres going to be a run @Cat 5 its just started....

• Like 3

just saw something interesting they are turning all the lanes in one area, one way ,so if the freeway will have all lanes away from the evacuation zone ,

Edited by milkmaid

Pretty standard for all emergency evacuation plans in the US.  I've seen in put in practice for wild fires too. 

I'd love to know whether the UK has any plans like that. Obviously it's less likely to be of use given the dearth of major events, but I'd like to think it's not "put the kettle on, man up and do your bit for Blighty". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, milkmaid said:

just saw something interesting they are turning all the lanes in one area, one way ,so if the freeway will have all lanes away from the evacuation zone ,

That's standard in Hurricane evacuations. If you end up on an Interstate in states like Florida, the Carolinas etc. you may see "Hurricane evacuation route" signs, these are the roads in question. Sensible idea really!

Edited by Nick L
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The warnings are being listened to, yesterdays populous beaches are replaced by deserted ones today, few folks walking and the town views clearing out.

surfchex.com/cams/carolina-beach-web-cam/

Not sure if the servers have been powered down for this webcam network as I cant connect to a single one now.

This site is. At least two surfers still in the sea.

https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com/wrightsville-beach/about/island-info/beach-cam/

Edited by Had Worse

1 hour ago, Mokidugway said:

I'm sure evacuation  was mandatory  but a fool and his /her life is easily parted I guess

Technically its not. It just means no ones coming to help you if you call 911.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Technically its not. It just means no ones coming to help you if you call 911.

Unfortunately it doesnt, it means brave people will risk their lives to save stupid people.

Latest Recon aircraft flying out, Florence is 104 miles ESE of Charleston S Carolina

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Unfortunately it doesnt, it means brave people will risk their lives to save stupid people.

Latest Recon aircraft flying out, Florence is 104 miles ESE of Charleston S Carolina

104 miles? That’s not far at all. Context for me is from my home to Brighton.. 

23 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Not sure if the servers have been powered down for this webcam network as I cant connect to a single one now.

This site is. At least two surfers still in the sea.

https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com/wrightsville-beach/about/island-info/beach-cam/

still working for me, might leave it running in case new viewers get limited😊