Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Florence

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Don't get me wrong, I would like to witness the full force of a Hurricane. But for me, the risks far outweigh that curiosity. 

So would I, but I wouldnt do it on that island....

I "drove|" the length of it on google maps earlier, the whole lot could easily get inundated, there is NO high ground, no decent shelter and NOWHERE too run to.

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

But they must know the risks, they have been told about them surely, I still drink loads of alcohol even though I have quite serious liver damage.

If they know the risks, then they are inviting death, and putting at risk those good people who would try to save them. Simple as that.

That's not brave. There is no world in which that is brave. It's idiotic.

The risks are in the graphics above.... they have a major hurricane bearing down on them, and they've basically been warned (if they've even bothered listening), that their island is likely going to be forcefully overwashed by sea, and battered by air.

If they think "I know better so I'm not listening" then they're idiots. If they think "Well, it's only a chance that might happen" then they're idiots. If they think "If we're wrong, someone will save us and it'll be OK" then they're idiots.

The information we have is out there for a reason.

• Like 3

Posted

surfchex.com/cams/atlantic-beach-web-cam/

surfings good though....for now...

7 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Also you probably wouldn’t call people who chase tornadoes / supercell storms ‘brave’.

Balls like tractor wheels? Yes. Wreckless? Absolutely... but not ‘brave’.

It's all relative ,I like high mountain's  as high till date 23000 ft ,but that risk is mitigated  by planning somthing you can't do with violent storms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, crimsone said:

If they know the risks, then they are inviting death, and putting at risk those good people who would try to save them. Simple as that.

That's not brave. There is no world in which that is brave. It's idiotic.

The risks are in the graphics above.... they have a major hurricane bearing down on them, and they've basically been warned (if they've even bothered listening), that their island is likely going to be forcefully overwashed by sea, and battered by air.

If they think "I know better so I'm not listening" then they're idiots. If they think "Well, it's only a chance that might happen" then they're idiots. If they think "If we're wrong, someone will save us and it'll be OK" then they're idiots.

The information we have is out there for a reason.

No, the great thing about the great country of the USA, is that people take responsibility for their own actions, its a caveat emtor country.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The layers in those clouds are beautiful.

Why does the oncoming doom always have to be so damned pretty?

Now one thing I really would love to see is the approach of the storm, must be so eerie.

• Like 3

Posted

The layers in those clouds are beautiful.

Why does the oncoming doom always have to be so damned pretty?

some of the webcams over there are stunning, then you think that most of those beaches are protected by an outer layer of islands - and think - what happens when the big waves come through ...there will be many fatalities I fear, as so many have no sense of danger, fear or common sense in this new instant gratification world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

some of the webcams over there are stunning, then you think that most of those beaches are protected by an outer layer of islands - and think - what happens when the big waves come through ...there will be many fatalities I fear, as so many have no sense of danger, fear or common sense in this new instant gratification world.

Some great selfie opportunities though

• Like 1

Posted

http://surfchex.com/cams/hatteras-web-cam/

if this camera gets inundated, you know that OcraCokey is not Okeydokey

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Florence looking rather ragged in appearance on its SW side, likely due to undermodeled slight shear from PV streamer  with dry air aloft on south side, which maybe why Florence is drifting slightly further north than models suggest too.

BB26259A-8585-4088-8224-F411C80A5791.thumb.jpeg.d1647e8a90558fde02c7df2d537443a9.jpeg

unlikely to make landfall as category 5, given weakening today, but likely to hold steady in strength before landfall, possibly sustained winds of 110-120 mph at landfall along western end of Atlantic coast of North Carolina, eye perhaps passing over/near Bald Head Island in NC before maybe mov8ng back out to sea to make second landfall over South Carolina as then moves west, such is the shape of the coastline.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted

22 foot wave height WNW of Florence, good idea to evacuate low lying coasts and islands

Posted

WTF!?

Isn't that base (just down-river of Jacksonville) pretty much exactly where Florence is expected to make landfall? (Well, possibly slightly north of the north/northwestern eyewall)?

I can only presume that the marines have storm-suitable fortifications that the rest of the population don't?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Models have a long way to go she was meant to be cat 4 at this stage without much in her way. 

Apparently an ULL off Florida has been feeding her dry air.

Still... of equal importance...

Edited by crimsone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The overnight NHC update confirms significant weakening of Florence. Still a dangerous storm no doubt and needs to be respected,  but no longer 'Storm of the Century' material. Looks like she'll be around Cat 2 At landfall. Although the winds are down, rainfall totals and storm surge are still going to be the biggest issues, especially if the storm stalls which seems to be the favoured option currently. 

Posted

I suppose the media is flocking in so they can be seen by the world being blown away?  Always annoys me when the public at large are told to evacuate or not go anywhere the media has to go. Double standards. I suppose it is to satisfy those who want to see death and destruction. 

Posted
12 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

That mentality is beyond my comprehension.. I read on some news post someone said “, I am staying here cos all my stuff is here and I don’t want it looted” .. 

what  time here  do it  hit   the coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
8 hours ago, Nick L said:

Now one thing I really would love to see is the approach of the storm, must be so eerie.

Would it look similar to a thunderstorm approaching? Clearly see the anvil in the distance surrounded by blue sky that moves in to engulf the area? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
8 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I wouldn't stay personally, based on evidence but I can see other reasons as well, not wanting their personal possesions falling into thieves hands, also, I want to go blizzard chasing across Saddleworth moor, hopefully I will get the chance this winter but I could well come a cropper doing that, but I don't expect anyone to save me, I do so at my own risk.

And that’s probably the main reason-  I have heard it said by a few being interviewed .. “need to look out for my stuff.. it’s all I have”

So true materialistic with no care for a life, and only things. The very very sad thing is there won’t be either left when she goes through, and nothing left whatsoever  to loot.