Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

itsnowjoke

Posted

Its a case of the cold behind the front playing catch up, which is why the east of the country will do better as the front slows down. There has been a tiny bit of a slow down for our region too. Yesterday was showing the front clearing my area by 3pm, today my area is in the middle of the front at 3pm. If it can slow down a bit more our snow chances improve.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Just now, Snowy L said:

Its a case of the cold behind the front playing catch up, which is why the east of the country will do better as the front slows down. There has been a tiny bit of a slow down for our region too. Yesterday was showing the front clearing my area by 3pm, today my area is in the middle of the front at 3pm. If it can slow down a bit more our snow chances improve.

Must remind myself, your in Liverpool

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
5 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

200m rising to 400-500m in the afternoon. Falling to 200m around midnight

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/peak-district

For Tuesday. ??

Decent freezing levels for snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Decent upgrade for my location according to xcweather, which is based off gfs data I believe

Screenshot_2019-01-28-11-01-56.png

Edited by Dkeane3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Not liking the look of this anymore. Too marginal. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
28 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Since we're playing top trumps, I'm 1 mile from coast 15m above sea level 

....beat me 14miles but 0.0000000000000000000002 ASL

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=48189&model=gfs&var=26&run=6&lid=ENS&bw=

06z GEFS (on average) looks like 5-10cm of snow for Shaw (nearest location for me)  total for tuesday, Thursday looks anywhere from 0-10cm+

ens_image.php?geoid=48189&var=202&run=6& 2m temps are cold barley above freezing  

Edited by frosty ground

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

euro4 48 hrs-

much better for everyone, perhaps a trough overnight tues / wed morning?

image.thumb.png.6857dde3c7b033394d797a634296ade2.png

Surely troughs should be on the FAX by now with it being less than 48 hours?

Probably showers.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

FV3 gets precipitation to reach us Thursday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

There is still time for last minute upgrades for the next 2 runs. It happened last week I think. Fingers crossed!

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

GFSPARAUK06_96_18.png
If only Liverpool had a more Arctic Influence.... (GFSP) by day 4

We really are one of the worst places in the UK for snow. No doubt the worst along our latitude line. My hopes are on Thursday as an Atlantic low with Easterly/Southeasterly winds is one of the very few scenarios where we do well in (West facing coast with Easterly winds means we get maximum cold from the land upstream).

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, pip22 said:

There is still time for last minute upgrades for the next 2 runs. It happened last week I think. Fingers crossed!

Last week upgraded as the radar formed the showers. At least round here  Never give up. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

We really are one of the worst places in the UK for snow. No doubt the worst along our latitude line. My hopes are on Thursday as an Atlantic low with Easterly/Southeasterly winds is one of the very few scenarios where we do well in (West facing coast with Easterly winds means we get maximum cold from the land upstream).

euro4 wed 6am looks great keep the old chin up mate

image.thumb.png.7997d7070f0ab7dc9ca7d8a3ddfd5d43.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Here is my forecast for this week for Merseyside:

A few showers early morning Tuesday being a mixture of rain, sleet and ice pellets.

A sharp dip in temperatures towards late morning prior to the cold front as winds back, Followed somewhat counter-intuitively by  a recovery in temperatures again with the passage of the front. 

The front will start as  a period of heavy rain with snow above 200 m. The back edge of the  front  will see falling temperatures again and snow falling to 100 m, possibly sea-level on the very back edge.

After this I’m expecting temperatures to fall away steadily during the evening as the flow slackens, hovering around freezing by midnight and below freezing inland.

There should be numerous showers overnight given the steep lapse rates and low 500 MB temperatures and I think there will be some surprises.

Showers will continue until Wednesday afternoon, possibly with more prolonged periods of snow. They should all be of snow during this time given negative DPs, 850s around -8 and the slack flow.  With the showers there is an associated risk of lightning and large hail in the strongest cells.

By Wednesday evening the wind begins to back ahead of Thursday‘s low and temperatures will fall quickly. There will be a hard frost on Thursday morning followed by a period of prolonged snow, the intensity and duration of which is still to be resolved. 

Nowcasting will be essential and expect the unexpected. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
27 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

I bet you wished you were back in Nottingham this week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Here is an interesting thing to bear in mind:

Most of what people report as hail during winter is actually ice pellets or graupel unless it’s particularly large.  Ice pellets are super-cooled water droplets which have frozen, and graupel pellets are snowflakes with a rime of frozen water droplets accumulated on them. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2