Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

itsnowjoke

Posted

Then growing back in Autumn just in time for our winter heatwave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Two troughs to West of Ireland behind the cold front on latest metoffice fax. Nicely lined up to move across the region later tonight onwards hopefully. Should mean quite enhanced shower activity.

20190121.1849.PPVA89.png

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Two troughs to West of Ireland behind the cold front on latest metoffice fax. Nicely lined up to move across the region later tonight onwards hopefully. Should mean quite enhanced shower activity.

20190121.1849.PPVA89.png

Quite a kink between the two troughs

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
30 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

Noticed a couple of lightning strikes on Blitzortung south of Dublin. It'd be cool if we got some in the showers tomorrow.

Almost a certainty there will be quite a bit of lightning around the region tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
22 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

The back edge of the front has now turned back to rain over Ireland according to the radar. Odd. 

As I said before precip type  Analysis is all automated anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
4 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

As I said before precip type  Analysis is all automated anyway. 

I thought it was measured using pulses of microwaves? I’ve never heard of the precip type being determined by forecast, otherwise it would always be incorrect 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

That MO video looked good. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

I thought it was measured using pulses of microwaves? I’ve never heard of the precip type being determined by forecast, otherwise it would always be incorrect 

Don’t some radars overlay precipitation with forecast data?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
6 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Would always give us snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

I'm not expecting much of the region below 200m to wake up to a covering which is always a  little less exciting in my eyes but you never know ...

Half a chance just about anywhere could wake up to snow falling though!

Posted

03B92E6D-A791-4E67-8132-6203CF238884.thumb.png.e1e215e15bc4a057844114f4ee20f732.png

All eyes on 10am -11am tomorrow. 

Looks like that trough passes through at that time. 

I’ll be sat in a sports hall with no windows. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

09145A68-1393-4B04-AFBF-3DEC6F584027.thumb.png.39fd1eac709e5ab68cc4fc3df5145b58.pngF10A111E-EC83-4D7A-8808-F27A71343A97.thumb.png.779cace97f88d113792ebd93957af1b5.png

Are we going to have a go at it next Tuesday too! 

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Some displays provided by commercial weather sites, like The Weather Channel, show precipitation types during the winter month : rain, snow, mixed precipitations (sleet and freezing rain). This is not an analysis of the radar data itself but a post-treatment done with other data sources, the primary being surface reports (METAR).[23]

Over the area covered by radar echoes, a program assigns a precipitation type according to the surface temperature and dew point reported at the underlying weather stations. Precipitation types reported by human operated stations and certain automatic ones (AWOS) will have higher weight.[24]Then the program does interpolations to produce an image with defined zones. These will include interpolation errors due to the calculation. Mesoscale variations of the precipitation zones will also be lost.[23]More sophisticated programs use the numerical weather prediction output from models, such as NAM and WRF, for the precipitation types and apply it as a first guess to the radar echoes, then use the surface data for final output.

Until dual-polarization (section Polarizationbelow) data are widely available, any precipitation types on radar images are only indirect information and must be taken with care.

I don’t know how much dual polarisation is used but from what I gather it’s something found in Doppler radar  so not something we have access too.

Above is from Wikipedia but it‘s sourced well. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
1 minute ago, Spah1 said:

09145A68-1393-4B04-AFBF-3DEC6F584027.thumb.png.39fd1eac709e5ab68cc4fc3df5145b58.pngF10A111E-EC83-4D7A-8808-F27A71343A97.thumb.png.779cace97f88d113792ebd93957af1b5.png

Seems an absolute lifetime away doesn't it but seen some good consistency across the board that we may get something Monday-Wednesday next week - and potentially something more noteworthy than tomorrow too. 

Fingers crossed... is this going to be one of those times where it's only us in the glorious North West of England that gets the fair share of the whip whilst the rest look on?! We'll see .. not had that type of situation for a while though (where a NW'ly has been strong and decent and delivered!)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Not a bad day ,23c light breeze

July 2018?  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Not a bad day ,23c light breeze

would rather have -2 and blizzards

• Like 1

Posted

Hola from gran canaria. 

The euro 4 is looking amazing for tomorrow afternoon and evening for much of the region, especially further inland. 

I can't believe I have endured the most boring winter weather in years through December and much of January and I am away when the juicy stuff comes in!

Regardless of that, enjoy tomorrow and make sure you post pics especially from Manchester for my enjoyment. ☺

• Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Joke as run it’s course now don’t you think?

Just a bit of banter like we do in here

bit too serious in other thread 

Edited by itsnowjoke
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, karyo said:

Hola from gran canaria. 

The euro 4 is looking amazing for tomorrow afternoon and evening for much of the region, especially further inland. 

I can't believe I have endured the most boring winter weather in years through December and much of January and I am away when the juicy stuff comes in!

Regardless of that, enjoy tomorrow and make sure you post pics especially from Manchester for my enjoyment. ☺

Have a great holiday K ...

Ps at least you wont read my moaning tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, karyo said:

Hola from gran canaria. 

It all sounds exciting and promising doesn't it. 

Just hope the majority of the region including my back yard is in the line of the showers and that they are frequent. Many things can go wrong tomorrow but we'll see. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
25 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Stopped looking too far but I did. Next Tuesday GFS looks phenomenal. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

It all sounds exciting and promising doesn't it. 

Just hope the majority of the region including my back yard is in the line of the showers and that they are frequent. Many things can go wrong tomorrow but we'll see. 

That's true but fingers crossed it will go as well as the euro 4 predicts. ☺