Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

itsnowjoke

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

It's a combination of ground temperature and intensity that governs whether snow will settle after rain (as well as how heavy the preceding rain was). Was an event many years ago I remember from t'other side of pennines where it rained the entire day (to the point of the road being covered in surface water) but the snow still settled as the temperature dropped overnight, think a layer of ice formed for it to settle on. Want to say it was late in 2013 but I don't keep records, so heck knows. We look okay for intensity and ground temperature tomorrow and there doesn't appear to be that sort of amount of preceding rain to worry about.

MetO going with some snow showers tonight as well to get us in the mood.

In the 3 years ive lived here , (first moved to little harwood in Blackburn) Theres a massive difference in Snow amounts now Ive moved down the road to Darwen. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

In the 3 years ive lived here , (first moved to little harwood in Blackburn) Theres a massive difference in Snow amounts now Ive moved down the road to Darwen. 

Your elevation probably helps. Some of those hills in Darwen would give Scottish highlands a run for money.

Event I was referring to was over in the North East though, remember it well because I was completely convinced it wouldn't settle, went to bed and woke up a few hours later to a decent snowfall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
2 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

Darwen is a little higher than Little Harwood. 

I’ve seen the difference myself when driving up from Bolton and over the tops into Darwen. Get into Blackburn and it’s very different.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
6 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

It's a combination of ground temperature and intensity that governs whether snow will settle after rain (as well as how heavy the preceding rain was). Was an event many years ago I remember from t'other side of pennines where it rained the entire day (to the point of the road being covered in surface water) but the snow still settled as the temperature dropped overnight, think a layer of ice formed for it to settle on. Want to say it was late in 2013 but I don't keep records, so heck knows. We look okay for intensity and ground temperature tomorrow and there doesn't appear to be that sort of amount of preceding rain to worry about.

MetO going with some snow showers tonight as well to get us in the mood.

Endothermic melt cooling is a big factor as well. As snowflakes melt they take in heat so they have enough energy to change phase. This cooles their surroundings. Eventually the melting process is slowed and can even be halted. Same thing happens with evaporation; hence evaporative cooling.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Winter Hill said:

Darwen is a little higher than Little Harwood. 

I’ve seen the difference myself when driving up from Bolton and over the tops into Darwen. Get into Blackburn and it’s very different.

2 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Your elevation probably helps. Some of those hills in Darwen would give Scottish highlands a run for money.

Event I was referring to was over in the North East though, remember it well because I was completely convinced it wouldn't settle, went to bed and woke up a few hours later to a decent snowfall. 

Agree , even in the Summer showers are more intense . Makes it interesting though ... Still drink in Blackburn with the slobs , So hope they don't cancel the trains tomorrow lol

Posted
Just now, BlackburnChris said:

Agree , even in the Summer showers are more intense . Makes it interesting though ... Still drink in Blackburn with the slobs , So hope they don't cancel the trains tomorrow lol

You still think that whether they cancel the trains dependent on the weather after living here for three years  

It's northern you're talking about.....  

Posted
1 minute ago, BlackburnChris said:

I only drink in Blackburn & Darwen when we take over Ewood park lol 

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

About as much use as a chocolate fire guard that company 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

You still think that whether they cancel the trains dependent on the weather after living here for three years  

haha , sick to death of no trains at all on darwen line on Saturday

Posted
1 minute ago, BlackburnChris said:

Who do you Support?

Bolton 

Posted

Bolton 

You JUDUS you lol , better than Accrington I guess haha . mind you my actual team is Leicester City , but I do go Ewood alot with the kids

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
8 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Bolton 

LOL!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
10 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

Who do you Support?

Whats your location Chris?

Posted
1 minute ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Whats your location Chris?

Darwen , (Born in Leicester)

Edited by BlackburnChris
correct to a proper football team .. "BLUE ARMY"

Posted
4 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

LOL!!!

Yes we are a bit crap at the moment.. 

Posted

Yes we are a bit crap at the moment.. 

Lol good job this is region thread . We be in trouble in mad thread haha . Might get my 13 year old to sign up for Bolton , he knows he has to start at the bottom. Lol

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

ICON pushes the Thursday front slightly further N. Pivots over southern part of the region. 

Great stuff! That was on seen on some models this morning, let's hope that continues! haha

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

ICON pushes the Thursday front slightly further N. Pivots over southern part of the region. 

Northern extent icon-2-87.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Latest text forecast

A risk of snow and ice, especially on Tuesday afternoon.

This Evening and Tonight:

Wintry showers will spread further inland this evening and overnight. Any snow accumulations will be confined to high ground in Cumbria and Lancashire. It will be chilly everywhere though, with a patchy frost and a risk of ice. Minimum temperature -3 °C.

Tuesday:

Rain, sleet and snow showers will continue across Cumbria and Lancashire in the morning. A band of afternoon rain, sleet and later snow will leave accumulated snow more widely. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Wintry showers will continue on Wednesday mainly in the west. Thursday will be dry and bright but with a snow risk overnight. Further wintry showers are possible on Friday.

Updated: 15:08 on Mon 28 Jan 2019 GMT

Pretty much as expected. They won’t mention tomorrow night in detail until tomorrow. 

• Like 2