Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Fingers crossed mate..

If this is the same system moving SE im a bit confused why the midlands and South get a warning for snow and we dont.

Hmmmmmmm.

The way I read it mate is that there is a a cold front crossing us associated with the main low.

1656431155_TUES2.thumb.png.0e8230e198c138e2447535e922383504.png578823172_Screenshot_2019-01-27Weatherandclimatechange.thumb.png.6f7289775fdd034c9754e421664717ec.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well don’t know if it’s just me but I can remember loads of sliders that have delivered at my location. In reverse chronological order:

08/03/2018, 26/12/2014, 22/03/2013, 13/02/2013, 18/01/2013, 18/02/2010, 13/01/2010, 23/12/2009, March 2006, Feb 2006, ETC. All gave at least 1 inch of snow. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
9 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Both Tuesday and Thursday massively downgraded on all weather forecast apps now.  

MetO still going for light snow Tuesday evening into Wednesday for me but looks like nothing for Thursday now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Please not the apps again! 

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

The way I read it mate is that there is a a cold front crossing us associated with the main low.

1656431155_TUES2.thumb.png.0e8230e198c138e2447535e922383504.png578823172_Screenshot_2019-01-27Weatherandclimatechange.thumb.png.6f7289775fdd034c9754e421664717ec.png

Sorry but I'd much rather just have the main low, suppose there is still time for it to "correct northwards"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

We're doomed! We’re doomed! 

C25596A9-D4EA-489F-9FDF-89DB83E4F0F3.thumb.png.43e2c1933e5a0645b87965bfc499f955.png

• Like 1

Posted

The level of uncertainty is interesting. I think this week will be a series of nowcast events. I'd ignore the weather apps, I don't know why they have them. They only show a projection from one model anyway so inevitably they change after every run - kind of like those in the mad thread on their emotional rollercoaster. I'm expecting a repeat of last week imby with perhaps a little more lying snow. You never know what surprises may crop up though.

Edited by Mark88
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark88 said:

The level of uncertainty is interesting. I think this week will be a series of nowcast events. I'd ignore the weather apps, I don't know why they have them they, only show a projection from one model anyway so inevitably they change after every run - kind of like those in the mad thread on their emotional rollercoaster. I'm expecting a repeat of last week imby with perhaps a little more lying snow. You never know what surprises may crop up though.

A good sensible post!

• Like 1

Posted

The surface wind backs to the SSW before the cold front on Tuesday which is interesting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
14 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Both Tuesday and Thursday massively downgraded on all weather forecast apps now.  

Lol well what a surprise. Never got my hopes up anyway. Roll on Spring this Winter has been dire to say the least. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

The level of uncertainty is interesting. I think this week will be a series of nowcast events. I'd ignore the weather apps, I don't know why they have them. They only show a projection from one model anyway so inevitably they change after every run - kind of like those in the mad thread on their emotional rollercoaster. I'm expecting a repeat of last week imby with perhaps a little more lying snow. You never know what surprises may crop up though.

Expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised when you get something. 

Anyway, given how many times these have changed track against our favour last minute it's about time one did so in our favour anyway. GFS 12z suprisingly is still quite snowy for the region. At the end of the day most of us just want that historic blizzard for causes nationwide chaos, I really wished we'd get one and then anything else for the next 5-10 years is a brucey bonus.

Posted

The thing is in recent years we talk of marginal, chances, run around skipping for a dusting. 

I am not being negative but our weather has changed from when I was younger and it seemed more clear cut. It was cold it snowed. 

Even now we in January near Feb and weather forecasters state things like the sea isn't that cold at the moment, the air masses are not as cold, the sun is strong. We need snow at night these days for it to stick to the floor in most cases.

I think our climate has changed drastically and my 3 year old has only seen snow that warranted anything to talk about once in her life.

It's sad times at the moment while we chase sleet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
20 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

As expected. Hilarious.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

We're doomed! We’re doomed! 

C25596A9-D4EA-489F-9FDF-89DB83E4F0F3.thumb.png.43e2c1933e5a0645b87965bfc499f955.png

Precisely why im confused if its coming from the west, can only assume both systems are going to slide south of our region.. 

Guess  we will see soon enough..

Posted

ICON has the little low way south into France.

icon-0-45.thumb.png.b2166171a431f3da6c54cba94519ac31.png

Posted

ICON does indeed show tues system missing us,sliding south of our region it goes through the midlands into the SE..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

ICON does indeed show tues system missing the sliding south of our region it goes through the midlands into the SE..

Totally expected this, it happens every year.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

As expected. Hilarious.

Oh, I expected it too, but if I didn't get excited about the possibility and sat glumly deriding every one there'd be no point being on this site.

Which does beg the question about why you post here?

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Just for balance ICON does show a trough on thurs morning across the north west..

Yup! Something to be cheerful about. Another pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
7 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Oh, I expected it too, but if I didn't get excited about the possibility and sat glumly deriding every one there'd be no point being on this site.

Which does beg the question about why you post here?

I have been a member on NW since 2003 in the good old days hen the likes of Stephen Prudence and TWS (Thundery Wintry Showers) were regulars. I post on here to keep everyone in check and to provide some balance when people get carried away with snow potential for our region. Once again it may be possible that I have got this one right.

Er is that OK?

Posted
1 minute ago, Barmada_Casten said:

I have been a member on NW since 2003 in the good old days hen the likes of Stephen Prudence and TWS (Thundery Wintry Showers) were regulars. I post on here to keep everyone in check and to provide some balance when people get carried away with snow potential for our region. Once again it may be possible that I have got this one right.

Er is that OK?

7.5 posts a year. That's not a lot of keeping people in check, maybe things aren't as bad as you think they are 

In all seriousness I wouldn't rule anything out for Tuesday, these lows track differently very often than they are modelled so until we see the radar pictures there's no point being too wrapped up in whether or not the North West is ruled out. Yes, the latest runs don't look the narnia we want, but they still look to have a bit of potential for falling snow in our region this week which has to beat the alternative.

Posted

I don’t need keeping in check

@Mokidugway do I

off to make my Bacon Baps

Edited by itsnowjoke
  • Like 2