Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

itsnowjoke

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Have a great holiday K ...

Ps at least you wont read my moaning tomorrow

Thanks mate. I will probably be online this time tomorrow so hopefully I will read your celebratory posts and see the pics.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter, heatwaves in summer :)

I feel like I am missing something here. MO video shows a fair bit of Snow for this area from 8pm, heavy for a while and then on and off for 24hrs and the models show this too but the Meto warnings do not match this at all. The MO warning just show a small area of Scotland under a snow warning with the rest of us under an ice warning.

Very strange ice warning considering its unbroken cloud here and looking set to remain that way as this band off PPN starts to make its way inland. Looking at the satellite images, The front is starting to stall a bit now too. Can't see there being a clear sky and icy conditions developing here, especially if the PPN is good whether it be snow or rain....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
5 minutes ago, Sn0wmad79 said:

I feel like I am missing something here. MO video shows a fair bit of Snow for this area from 8pm, heavy for a while and then on and off for 24hrs and the models show this too but the Meto warnings do not match this at all. The MO warning just show a small area of Scotland under a snow warning with the rest of us under an ice warning.

Very strange ice warning considering its unbroken cloud here and looking set to remain that way as this band off PPN starts to make its way inland. Looking at the satellite images, The front is starting to stall a bit now too. Can't see there being a clear sky and icy conditions developing here, especially if the PPN is good whether it be snow or rain....

You're lucky as you're 300m above sea level ... I think my home village Uppermill's high in relation to the rest of NW England (specifically Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire) but in reality its much lower down than you!

MO warnings taken me by surprise too - surprised the isn't a snow warning in place. Still time for that to come true overnight into tomorrow.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, karyo said:

Hola from gran canaria. 

The euro 4 is looking amazing for tomorrow afternoon and evening for much of the region, especially further inland. 

I can't believe I have endured the most boring winter weather in years through December and much of January and I am away when the juicy stuff comes in!

Regardless of that, enjoy tomorrow and make sure you post pics especially from Manchester for my enjoyment. ☺

Karyo enjoy the sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
29 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Not a bad day ,23c light breeze

Rub it in mate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

I'm In gran canaria  like Lord karyo

Have a good wedding

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Karyo enjoy the sun

The truth is I desperately need a tan. The pale look doesn't suit a Greek like me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
Just now, Deep Snow please said:

Radar shows it already turning to sleet inland, so good signs.

Good signs but could be a good 6 hours yet until uppers are cold enough for this to fall as snow away from the usual high ground

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

These change every hour but looking ok for much of tomorrow 

23466CF4-0D34-4E23-9776-8EAAEADAB30F.png

EA0587FC-9ABD-4ABC-9FC7-71E4DED99AA2.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
17 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

You're lucky as you're 300m above sea level ... I think my home village Uppermill's high in relation to the rest of NW England (specifically Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire) but in reality its much lower down than you!

MO warnings taken me by surprise too - surprised the isn't a snow warning in place. Still time for that to come true overnight into tomorrow.  

I think Uppermill gets down to about 160m.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

97AD0BA2-671F-4D05-A383-95AA27082746.thumb.png.93df61eda5219abe3ab13b442f3b1ae2.png

Looking forward to the sunshine. 

I’ll take cream to work just in case. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, James M said:

I'm in Uppermill just on the river (floor of the valley) at 170m a.s.l ... yes I know my location is 200 asl. 

Head down the Tame Valley .. Mossley is about 140m, Stalybridge 120m, Stockport below 100m. Denshaw at the upper most point of the river is going towards 300m+

Edited by StretfordEnd1996

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Some displays provided by commercial weather sites, like The Weather Channel, show precipitation types during the winter month : rain, snow, mixed precipitations (sleet and freezing rain). This is not an analysis of the radar data itself but a post-treatment done with other data sources, the primary being surface reports (METAR).[23]

Over the area covered by radar echoes, a program assigns a precipitation type according to the surface temperature and dew point reported at the underlying weather stations. Precipitation types reported by human operated stations and certain automatic ones (AWOS) will have higher weight.[24]Then the program does interpolations to produce an image with defined zones. These will include interpolation errors due to the calculation. Mesoscale variations of the precipitation zones will also be lost.[23]More sophisticated programs use the numerical weather prediction output from models, such as NAM and WRF, for the precipitation types and apply it as a first guess to the radar echoes, then use the surface data for final output.

Until dual-polarization (section Polarizationbelow) data are widely available, any precipitation types on radar images are only indirect information and must be taken with care.

I don’t know how much dual polarisation is used but from what I gather it’s something found in Doppler radar  so not something we have access too.

Above is from Wikipedia but it‘s sourced well. 

Fair play man, I guess it does make sense in one way. The microwaves would always false report depending on size of the droplets falling and the altitude in which they’re measured otherwise. Thank you  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
6 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

97AD0BA2-671F-4D05-A383-95AA27082746.thumb.png.93df61eda5219abe3ab13b442f3b1ae2.png

Looking forward to the sunshine. 

I’ll take cream to work just in case. 

West of the M6 curse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine

+4 degrees here in Ashton (102asl) & it's pishing down.  

Posted
47 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Stopped looking too far but I did. Next Tuesday GFS looks phenomenal. 

Without wishing to urinate on anyone’s parade but those uppers 99/100 modify to something more borderline for low lying areas.

Posted

28D3D7DB-5915-4EE1-A676-A8D8F641672C.thumb.png.418503f760f661cf9a7674b481910949.png

Only just scrapped into the ice warning

Posted
20 minutes ago, James M said:

It depends where in Uppermill, it basically straddles a valley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Most of Isle of Man is green now (Wintry mix) according to the radar.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ramp said:

It depends where in Uppermill, it basically straddles a valley.

Bottom of the valley no lower than 165-190m... 0.5 mile or so up hill it's 300m+

• Like 1