Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

itsnowjoke

Posted
8 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

i dont understand why its showing all snow for you, yet all rain for me? I live around 55 miles away nort of coventry, you'd think there'd be at leaset sleet???

image.thumb.png.0e5d21589f09bd2025cdb801b61b281d.png

Small milder sector? I'm not sure, the uppers look similar but there is a 'less cold' blob on EC @48..

Again, im not sure thats relevant but might explain the sleet?

euro 4 looks ace for your region too so who knows..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

19012300_2100.gif

that looks better! I also have a bit of altitude at 400ft, so hopefully!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Thick fog to start the day with the temp sat bang on 3.0C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I’m keeping an eye on Wednesday morning as the surface winds go off-shore for a time whilst steering winds are still west of North at about 330°. This gives us on the coast a window of opportunity to see snow if we haven’t already which will probably be the case. Some good chance of lightning tonight and tomorrow as well which I always enjoy.500mb temps bottoming out at -38. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
22 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I’m keeping an eye on Wednesday morning as the surface winds go off-shore for a time whilst steering winds are still west of North at about 330°. This gives us on the coast a window of opportunity to see snow if we haven’t already which will probably be the case. Some good chance of lightning tonight and tomorrow as well which I always enjoy.500mb temps bottoming out at -38. 

I expect to see wet snow at times but yeah nothing laying, agree late Tues early Weds that may change. All the same a good day/night ahead tmr. Good luck all, looks good for the rest of you. 

• Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Love these setups with brisk north westerlies, can underestimate the potential for Thunder.. Also there are a few more attempts at this setup across the models, hopefully the air will be cold enough or long running enougth to get these showers down to sea level. (accumulations is another matter)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

As per......

19012300_2100.thumb.gif.c9dfa7f72d396a5034fc7717ef1d244a.gif

:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold, hot sunny summer's and autumn storms
23 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

As per......

19012300_2100.thumb.gif.c9dfa7f72d396a5034fc7717ef1d244a.gif

Typical. Im just to the south of you. I at least i get to see a snow flake 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Latest metoffice fax chart shows a trough moving across the region after midday Tuesday in the cold PM flow. Could be some decent merging of showers. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

so what time are we looking at the transition between rain and the wintry stuff approx?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Latest metoffice fax chart shows a trough moving across the region after midday Tuesday in the cold PM flow. Could be some decent merging of showers. 

Ties in with euro4, there isnt going to be much from the front overnight, our hope is in troughs and shower activity generated in the irish sea, as ever uppers/modification liely to be the issue, or potential issue.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, swainclubber said:

so what time are we looking at the transition between rain and the wintry stuff approx?

There will be little or no snow from the initial front imho- its the showers packing in on the back of the front, likely tomorrow mid morning onwards..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Ties in with euro4, there isnt going to be much from the front overnight, our hope is in troughs and shower activity generated in the irish sea, as ever uppers/modification liely to be the issue, or potential issue.

Yes, maybe a little backedge snow in the early hours, but real interest starts later tomorrow and overnight into Wednesday. Modification from sea always a risk, but we have had some cracking falls in the past on WNW/NW flows. Will be interesting to see wording  of metoffice warnings shortly, assuming these are issued.....

• Like 2

Posted

Going off the FAX/Euro4 i would be very suprised if there is no warning update for the region- it will likely caveat higher ground for settling snow but no idea what that level will be, could be 100m, 150, 200 or 250m asl..

• Like 1

Posted

I noticed that the flow that follows the front is not a very windy one. When we had these flows in recent years, I've noticed the very windy ones seem to bring little in the way of wintry preciptation to lower levels. Was it last winter, where we had that really windy NWly blast, felt windier than forecast and most people missed out on anything wintry? 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, Peak District forecast mentions snow most likely above 200m.  I would agree, with the snow level falling into the evening/overnight?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Yes, maybe a little backedge snow in the early hours, but real interest starts later tomorrow and overnight into Wednesday. Modification from sea always a risk, but we have had some cracking falls in the past on WNW/NW flows. Will be interesting to see wording  of metoffice warnings shortly, assuming these are issued.....

There maybe a squall line with this front, that might wake up people with the rain or even hail hitting the windows. Ice could be a problem tomorrow morning,

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I noticed that the flow that follows the front is not a very windy one. When we had these flows in recent years, I've noticed the very windy ones seem to bring little in the way of wintry preciptation to lower levels. Was it last winter, where we had that really windy NWly blast, felt windier than forecast and most people missed out on anything wintry? 

I presume less wind means less modification of air inland from Irish Sea?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

You know me Kevin im easterly mad, i swore i would never be pulled in by a NW wind as you say, we have been burned many times even with lower uppers than tonight/tomorrow..

That said, the euro4 signal has caught my eye, in the past when its looked brill, euro4 has poo poo'd it for us, and it been proven right time and time again..

If euro4 stays on track @6z i would suggest it could be a decent little event..

Either way, altitude is going to be a key component , but shower distribution will dictate any laying snow..

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

There maybe a squall line with this front, that might wake up people with the rain or even hail hitting the windows. Ice could be a problem tomorrow morning,

Yes, seems the metoffice concur with ice warning now issued.