Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

itsnowjoke

Posted

I think there might be a chance of my locality seeing 'falling' snow particularly in the showers on Wednesday if they arrive...but can't see much settling snow.  Cold be a cold slush-fest at best.  The week looks cold but not cold enough to turn that icy rain into fluffy white goodness....still you never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well that cold prolonged easterly looks like a no go now. But as a plan B, I wouldn’t mind what it’s showing currently, bit of snow Tuesday/Wednesday then a repeat next week.

Edited by James M

Posted

Peak District forecast update has everything but the kitchen sink between now and Wednesday...thunder and lightening, hail, ice, 50mph gusts, blizzards, heavy snow, heavy snow showers, rain

just got back from Huddersfield game... surprised how close it is to stalybridge only 17 mins on train...

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
25 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Peak District forecast update has everything but the kitchen sink between now and Wednesday...thunder and lightening, hail, ice, 50mph gusts, blizzards, heavy snow, heavy snow showers, rain

just got back from Huddersfield game... surprised how close it is to stalybridge only 17 mins on train...

Indeed. Mossley even closer. Think part of Mossley was once West riding of Yorkshire. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
10 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Indeed. Mossley even closer. Think part of Mossley was once West riding of Yorkshire. 

Indeed... it’s quite interesting being so close to so many county boundaries.... considering using trains a bit more and doing some day trips or Long weekends to york, Whitby, Durham.... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Meto extended outlook still looks good for the region with plenty of snow chances and with a decent shot at something substantial over the next few days, things are certainly looking up after the grim crap of the last few months.

it’s very much a case of wait and see but i think my love hate relationship with snow is going to be tested shortly.

• Like 2

Posted

Tuesday evening and overnight will be optimal time for low level snow across the region as a whole, thicknesses and dewpoints will be most favourable by then, and that's not factoring into account evaporative cooling effects - much will depend on the intensity of any precipitation. Winds will take a tilt from more of a WNW to a NW flow as the night wears on, which will mean showers more likely to become more confined to southern parts of the region - cheshire streamer in full flow.

The frontal feature unfortunately looks like being a much narrower affair - and will be moving through more quickly, snow may fall on the back edge but probably only as low as about 300 metres, 100-300m may see a wintry slushy burst before it peters out.

Tuesday evening I suspect will be very busy in this thread.. Expecting weather warnings tomorrow morning, for Scotland at least Monday night until Wednesday morning, with this extending to NW England come Tuesday morning - something along the lines of frequent heavy wintry showers borne on a strong NW wind will feed across the region, giving accumulations of snow to higher ground and on occasion increasingly to lower levels through Tuesday and especially overnight Tuesday. Some localised drifting may occur and whiteout conditions on higher level routes. Amounts of snow will vary, with perhaps between 2-5 cms on ground above 200 metres, increasing to 5-10 cms on ground above 300 metres. Ice will become a major hazard especially on Wednesday morning with temperatures dropping below freezing, making for treacherous road conditions and walking conditions on untreated surfaces.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

^^^

Agree with most of the above only thing I would add is 1-3cm on low ground

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Im taking thIs with a very hige pinch of salt. Plenty of times been let down with even closer range last year was dismal for this. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

^^^

Agree with most of the above only thing I would add is 1-3cm on low ground

C.S

Yes agree - some places could see appreciably more than this. It is an excellent set up for the NW, significant instability will ensure many showers banding together to produce not just your 5-10 minute downpour but more likely your 1-2 hr downpour I suspect.

Much snow on the Lakeland fells at last. Langdale valley has snow sticking down to 80 metres this afternoon, despite temps up to 5 degrees.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, itsnowjoke said:

Come again ? @JeffC

No - it's toothpaste...ask Monica!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Sounds good @damianslaw.

Probably won't see much lying snow here, can see some beefy wet snow showers coming through all the same especially in the evening as you say. Some people should do rather well, will be an interesting day/night.

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, JeffC said:

No - it's toothpaste...ask Monica!

P M S L

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

The latest gfs is a belter for our region! Tuesday looks interesting, then from the weekend we have northerlies and north westerlies with bags of snow potential.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
5 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

That's right.. 

Northern areas of Mossley were in West Yorkshire (Riding) along with Saddleworth.. (namely Roughtown/Roaches areas). Western area of Mossley was part of Lancashire along with Oldham/Ashton (namely Top Mossley). But most of the town to the East and South (Micklehurst, Bottom Mossley) was part of Cheshire along with Stalybridge and Hyde to the South. Of course the meeting point is well documented as there is a road in the center called 'Three Counties Road' ... all of the above is nothing but a memory now with the invention of 'Greater Manchester' (in fact all 3 counties are now based no where near Mossley)

Question is will that general area of the North West towards the Pennines achieve some of the heavier falls Tuesday .. if any at all? I hope so! BBC not interested but plenty of others are. It's going to be incredibly marginal but I have known very similar setups with the same uppers and forecasted T2 temps to deliver a covering of note (e.g. above 4cm). But the only thing about this one is I don't think we'll all wake up to a covering.. it may happen a bit later.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

That's right.. 

Northern areas of Mossley were in West Yorkshire (Riding) along with Saddleworth.. (namely Roughtown/Roaches areas). Western area of Mossley was part of Lancashire along with Oldham/Ashton (namely Top Mossley). But most of the town to the East and South (Micklehurst, Bottom Mossley) was part of Cheshire along with Stalybridge and Hyde to the South. Of course the meeting point is well documented as there is a road in the center called 'Three Counties Road' ... all of the above is nothing but a memory now with the invention of 'Greater Manchester' (in fact all 3 counties are now based no where near Mossley)

Question is will that general area of the North West towards the Pennines achieve some of the heavier falls Tuesday .. if any at all? I hope so! BBC not interested but plenty of others are. It's going to be incredibly marginal but I have known very similar setups with the same uppers and forecasted T2 temps to deliver a covering of note (e.g. above 4cm). But the only thing about this one is I don't think we'll all wake up to a covering.. it may happen a bit later.

Very interesting.... cheers... yes I think now looking at the forecast the alignment of the wind the showers will be more potent than previously forecast, but that always happens as showers are pretty much now cast.... here’s hoping the next six weeks are wintry....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Very interesting.... cheers... yes I think now looking at the forecast the alignment of the wind the showers will be more potent than previously forecast, but that always happens as showers are pretty much now cast.... here’s hoping the next six weeks are wintry....

Snow showers especially in the day time are my pet hate ... they just never seem to hit at the right times and often few and far between for there to be accumulations of snow laying .. particularly when tomorrow's temperatures are forecast to be above freezing for the majority of the day. But then again you never know. Perhaps if some of these showers could remain up around late afternoon/early evening the temps would be low enough for it to cover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold, hot sunny summer's and autumn storms
11 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

euro 4 shows some laying snow in our region tues

right to the coast i might add..

Fab. I'll be the  1st to be nowcasting if happens at sea level. It was so unexpected on fri even if it was wet snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold, hot sunny summer's and autumn storms
11 hours ago, James M said:

Well that cold prolonged easterly looks like a no go now. But as a plan B, I wouldn’t mind what it’s showing currently, bit of snow Tuesday/Wednesday then a repeat next week.

Its defo a no go from the east atm. But there's still time with the downwellng just hitting around the 1st feb

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

The latest Euro4 is a peach... 

Euro4 ramping up the snow on this mornings run..

Again showing lots of laying snow in our region,..

I'm still sceptical but TBH euro4 is usually a misery model for us and the fact that its has such a strong signal at this range must give some confidence..

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Screenshot_20190121-014358.thumb.png.58a65ef303fb304a6e157e92ed7809bb.png

i dont understand why its showing all snow for you, yet all rain for me? I live around 55 miles away nort of coventry, you'd think there'd be at leaset sleet???