Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

itsnowjoke

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol , you should contact Paul if poss to sort it ,I got banned for 8 months but came back as cloudy daze ,I have no restrictions and 10,000 warning points

@Paul I'd PM you discuss this but obvs can't. If I'm still under said restrictions then fair enough, just clarity really I'm after?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
2 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Want me to ask ?

No need. Found the private contact forum, it appears I've already asked.Stuck with these settings.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Below you avi is members word with a dot either side

Ah got you. They can't read private messages when they don't let me send them though...

Anyhoo, you must be glad to see the weakening of the winter synoptics today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Cracking day today, chilly start but then wall to wall sunshine, perfect for a Sat. Now for some  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

What’s happened to the poster Frosty.. potential cold spell and he’s nowhere to be seen ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Think he gave up with it not suprised  really 

Surprised about that pal 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Hi everyone. I’m going to start posting in here again regularly since it’s that time of year. Have to say I quite like the mod thread at the moment though. 

A cold morning with the current temp at 2.9°C and still a little way to fall I think. Once again as always happens forecast minima by both models and BBC/Met are  being woefully overestimated. It’s an easterly for God sake. When will they ever learn. 

• Like 4

Posted
39 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

A cold morning with the current temp at 2.9°C and still a little way to fall I think. Once again as always happens forecast minima by both models and BBC/Met are  being woefully overestimated. It’s an easterly for God sake. When will they ever learn. 

Interesting your location is that low because it is not that cold here, Manchester Airport is currently 6C 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
55 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Interesting your location is that low because it is not that cold here, Manchester Airport is currently 6C vg

It always happens. As soon as the wind is off-shore then this coastal strip is quite a decent frost hollow. Also got some great surprise snowfalls from it last year when nobody else seemed to; ie 15th Dec. Appreciate it might be too small of a microclimate to be picked up by the models but even so. 

Posted

Minimum was 2.5°C. Official  station down on the beach supports my readings and fell to about the same. 

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&SI=mph&CEL=C&WMO=03316&TIME=std&CONT=ukuk&R=310&LEVEL=140&REGION=0003&LAND=__&ART=temperatur&NOREGION=0&PLZ=&PLZN=&SORT=__&TEMP=___&WETTER=__&&TYP=__&SEITE=0

Edited by Chris.R

Posted

Yeah Chris, bloody freezing here this morning 2's feels about right. 

• Like 1

Posted

I’ll put this here as well. Maybe relevant next few weeks. 

In my experience with a continental flow I generally find the following conditions are the most important for a good chance of  precipitation to fall as snow. 

Dew point below 0°C 

T925 below 0°C 

T850 below 0°C (<-2°C preferable). 

T2m below 4°C 

500-1000 thickness can usually be ignored. 

Wind off-shore if near coast. 

Light surface winds and heavy precipitation give you a great advantage and sometimes  a little leeway beyond the above margins. 

If T950/T925/t900 is below 0 but T850/T800 is not then ice pellets/freezing rain/rain will result depending upon the depth of the frozen boundary layer. 

Also bear in mind the continent is not yet very cold so this method might not work at this time of year, however I am sceptical as to whether this will make much difference. I suspect it would only affect the very bottom of the boundary layer up to say 950 mB. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The problem with an Easterly at this time of year is that usually the continent is just cooling down. Given that both the UK and mainland Europe has had a long period of above average temps means that there's no 'bite' in this one. 

They rarely deliver here anyway. Although I do enjoy the cold nights and sunny clear days. They're what I look forward to. I'm really looking forward to seeing some snow too. We've got a 5 month old Husky so she's gonna love it when the snow does arrive. 

Not to mention there's a pile of sledges that aren't getting used in my work. About ten of them. So if anyone wants one, hit me up! Lol

I'll be back posting regularly as the weather cools down :) 

7 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

The problem with an Easterly at this time of year is that usually the continent is just cooling down. Given that both the UK and mainland Europe has had a long period of above average temps means that there's no 'bite' in this one. 

They rarely deliver here anyway. Although I do enjoy the cold nights and sunny clear days. They're what I look forward to. I'm really looking forward to seeing some snow too. We've got a 5 month old Husky so she's gonna love it when the snow does arrive. 

Not to mention there's a pile of sledges that aren't getting used in my work. About ten of them. So if anyone wants one, hit me up! Lol

I'll be back posting regularly as the weather cools down

Lol, is that a threat

• Thanks 1

Posted

Snow showers very rarely reach here on an easterly, but plenty of rain showers set to pack in tmr! The weather just loves to rub it in doesn't it! 

• Like 2

Posted

A few shafts of sunlight in the last hour but low grey cloud set to be the theme for the next few days with a raw easterly wind...too early to raise the 'snow' radar to even the merest signs of alert but I expect a few sleety grains to be in the mostly cold rain showers that will feed in from the east later tonight and into tomorrow.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
On 16/11/2018 at 18:03, Mokidugway said:

Lol , you should contact Paul if poss to sort it ,I got banned for 8 months but came back as cloudy daze ,I have no restrictions and 10,000 warning points

Cold one today and damp and yes i remember that told me you were related to Moki when you were on here as cloudy lol

Edited by itsnowjoke
  • Like 1

Posted

3c feels like -4c cold icy rain ? heading into Manchester for markets as have relatives over and looking at radar it’s a lot lighter in Man City centre.... hills might be white for trip into Buxton tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

If only all the rain that has fallen overnight and into today was snow. Not a fan of this cold rain malarkey. 

• Like 2