Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Could be thundery showers going by GFS further north than what the bbc weather showed with just the sw.

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn364.html

high res charts, mainly the SW/Wales, not expecting thundery showers here

ukprec.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

ukprec.png

Far too close for comfort. We can have that rubbish in September.

Posted

Funny I was only looking at September back in 1958 yesterday.

September. There were some exceptionally severe thunderstorms following a hot spell at the start of the month. There were particularly notable storms on the 5th and 6th, including hailstones up to 10 cm, flooding, and tornadoes. There was a bright early morning on the 5th, with very high humidity. The temperature widely reached 26C in the south on the 5th, with 27.2C at Whitstable and Mildenhall; the humid air was however very unstable, with temperatures decreasing rapidly with height, enabling some prodigious thunderclouds to develop. There were two main thunderstorm tracts: from Isle of Wight at 3pm to Colchester at 9.30pm; and Brighton from 7 pm moving north. The two tracts merged around 8 pm, giving the most severe weather, where a light easterly breeze met a light northerly. There were some exceptional downpours: 63.5 mm of rain fell in 20 minutes at Sidcup on the 5th (equal to 191 mm per hour, the third highest rainfall rate of the twentieth century), and 131 mm in 2 hours at Knockholt (Kent), along with destructive, large hailstones and tornadoes. At Swanley (also Kent) 57 mm of rain fell in 20 minutes. 1690 flashes of lightning in one hour were recorded in one of these storms. A gust of wind of 85 mph was recorded at Gatwick with one of the accompanying tornadoes. The heaviest recorded hailstone in the UK was caught at Horsham (Sussex) during this storm: it weighed 141g (6.75 oz), with a diameter of approximately 70 mm. The ground was pitted to a depth of 50 mm. Needless to say there was substantial destruction of trees and property across a substantial area. This famous storm is known as the "Horsham hailstorm". There were more severe thunderstorms in the SE on the 6th, with tornadoes, giant hail, and flash-flooding. 130 mm of rain fell in one storm at Sevenoaks. The month as a whole was very wet, with twice the average rainfall falling in Wales, the Midlands, the West, and the London region, although it was dry in Scotland and NE England.

http://www.trevorharley.com/weather_web_pages/1958_weather.htm

Posted

Driving across the Midlands today it's crazy how yellow everything is. That's when you know it's a proper summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
6 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

ukprec.png

Bleah. No thank you -- I'm outside into early evening tomorrow, in a part of Worcestershire with lots of trees around! Storms can wait until Monday, please! The BBC forecast will do me fine.

Got up to 26.2 °C this afternoon, so the fourth successive day with the max in the 26s. May just be my imagination, but it feels a little more humid this evening than it did yesterday, despite the quite noticeable breeze. Still cloudless, but I'm expecting a quite different sky tomorrow, even if it stays dry.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

certainly convective cloud tomorrow, feeling warmer too, then probably back to fully clear all day monday

Posted

It'll be interesting to see what sort of maxes are recorded in our region this afternoon. Some charts have been hinting at 30°C being a possibility today, but I would've thought the forecast for increased cloud cover would prevent that from happening?

Currently 18.1°C here.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Currently a moorland fire burning in the hills just north of Leek. I am sitting about a mile from it.

20180701_113706.thumb.jpg.a28ebfaca56a9d7e2991ca303ba74ca5.jpg

Posted

Temperature has surged 4C in the last hour to 27C.

Posted

Well, it took a few days longer than I originally expected but we have finally managed to reach the 30°C mark here, for the first time this summer. 30.2°C to be precise, just after quarter past three this afternoon :yahoo:

Bish

Posted

Hottest day of the year here in Belper, reached 28.2c.

Posted
46 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Hottest day of the year here in Belper, reached 28.2c.

What's the situation looking like now re that fire, Supacell? It looked pretty serious judging from that picture you shared earlier.

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

Posted

Very humid now and mid to high showery looking cloud,patchy bits of rain headed much further north than any TV forecast was showing,coming in from the south despite an easterly flow.

Posted
1 hour ago, Bishop Brennan said:

What's the situation looking like now re that fire, Supacell? It looked pretty serious judging from that picture you shared earlier.

Bish

I have no idea as it is up in the moors about 30 miles west of me. No further updates on the internet so I am assuming it has probably been put out. It is not as big as the ones in Lancashire so hopefully easier for the fire services to handle.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Warmest day of the year so far here, with 29.3 °C, despite being largely cloudy after early afternoon. With the added humidity, it certainly felt the hottest day of 2018. Just about avoided any rain, though one shower in late afternoon got within a few miles. Still 21 °C as I type, and I have the window wide open despite the irritation of moths crashing around the lampshades. Looking forward to a clearer, hopefully less oppressive day tomorrow.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Really struggling in the heat now. Not enjoying it. Since Tuesday I have had 3 occasions where I must have been dehydrated. 

Time for some rain. The gardens need it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
16 hours ago, Supacell said:

I have no idea as it is up in the moors about 30 miles west of me. No further updates on the internet so I am assuming it has probably been put out. It is not as big as the ones in Lancashire so hopefully easier for the fire services to handle.

Fire still burning but controlled so far. Smoke isn't as extensive as Sunday.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Another scorcher here, needless to say. 28.1°C a short while ago, but with more of a breeze than I was expecting.

The next couple of days look perhaps slightly cooler less hot, then we're back in the oven as we approach the weekend.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

So, having been cooked out of my hibernation by this relentless heat..... I’m just wondering if this summer is going to be the death knell for the famous riposte of ‘who remembers the summer of ‘76?’, lol. 

How long has it been since it actually rained in the Midlands? I’ve lost track now!

• Like 1

Posted

Back to cloudless skies again today. Max 27.5 °C, so pretty solid, if not quite as hot as yesterday. Quite a stiff breeze, which has been very welcome whenever I've needed to walk anywhere!

Last time I got wet was in a brief but heavy shower on Saturday 16th June, so currently 16 days and counting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Today is the 9th consecutive day with more than 75% of possible sunshine here, equalling the record set in 1976. Had it not been for a lot of high cloud a week last Saturday we would now be on 12 consecutive days but tomorrow looks like beating the record anyway.

• Like 3