Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

A clear sign of a major storm developing its own  circulation system. I saw the same effect in the Brum storm in July 2014 ( I think!)..

Fascinating stuff. I noticed something similar at around the same time - i.e. that the clouds seemed to be moving in the 'wrong' direction.

Incidentally, now that darkness has fallen I can see that the sky to our SE is flickering quite frequently - surely the Milton Keynes storm is too far away to be spotted here?

Bish

Posted
3 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

That cell over Aldridge way is now heading north and dying out as it does so. Really not sure why this has happened today, extremely frustrating and disappointing. Given up for the day.

I was stood right underneath that cell for about three hours in the thunder and lightning attempting to keep the floodwater out of the house. In all my years of weather watching this was the heaviest most prolonged downpour I can remember. Fortunately it moved away just in time as the water was within 2cm or so of getting inside, but there are numerous reports of less lucky persons homes being flooded in the area. Hopefully a dry night will allow the flooding around the house and in the garden to completely subside and a dry day tomorrow will give the chance to clear up. Spectacular but scary too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi everyone...

Just watched BBC1 Midlands news at 10:30.

It showed the widespread flooding of homes, roads and railway lines in and around the Bham area.

Many areas were under deep water earlier.

They also spoke of 60mms of rain falling in an hour in Edgbaston. and Richard H. on the main  weather forecast stated that some areas around B'ham have had 4 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.

It seems we got off reasonably lightly here and my rate of rainfall, which I thought was high (23mms in half an hour in the end) was only what some experienced for an hour or more..

Truly remarkable when one considers that at 15:00 there was no sign of a shower and by 18:30 it was pretty well all over!!!. :gathering::oops::bomb:  . 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Hi everyone...

Just watched BBC1 Midlands news at 10:30.

It showed the widespread flooding of homes, roads and railway lines in and around the Bham area.

Many areas were under deep water earlier.

They also spoke of 60mms of rain falling in an hour in Edgbaston. and Richard H. on the main  weather forecast stated that some areas around B'ham have had 4 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.

It seems we got off reasonably lightly here and my rate of rainfall, which I thought was high (23mms in half an hour in the end) was only what some experienced for an hour or more..

Truly remarkable when one considers that at 15:00 there was no sign of a shower and by 18:30 it was pretty well all over!!!. :gathering::oops::bomb:  . 

MIA

Thunderstorms for you. Once the cap is broken - Boom! Storms shoot up incredibly rapidly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
10 minutes ago, Dave Bullock said:

I was stood right underneath that cell for about three hours in the thunder and lightning attempting to keep the floodwater out of the house. In all my years of weather watching this was the heaviest most prolonged downpour I can remember. Fortunately it moved away just in time as the water was within 2cm or so of getting inside, but there are numerous reports of less lucky persons homes being flooded in the area. Hopefully a dry night will allow the flooding around the house and in the garden to completely subside and a dry day tomorrow will give the chance to clear up. Spectacular but scary too.

Dave ...

I too was similarly lucky  (probably 2 cms) , but several houses around here were not so lucky. Many hundreds in B'ham have been flooded.

It really was remarkable for the rate at which it came down, Last nights storms were also pretty unusual in that the lightning was superb, but the rain was not particularly heavy. 

I suppose that if we had both at the same time we would have had to call it Brum Mk2.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

horrid morning, thick sea mist, this location very prone to it

Horrible stuff. Probably take hours to shift spoiling the day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
45 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Horrible stuff. Probably take hours to shift spoiling the day

bbc got it clearing 5pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
30 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

bbc got it clearing 5pm

Another glorious day then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
Posted

River Cole is now on the highest flood alert, flooding for Coleshill looks very likely.

https://www.riverlevels.uk/flood-warning-river-cole-at-coleshill

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
29 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Beautiful morning in Stoke! Clear blue skies and unbroken hot sunshine.

Battleship-grey skies here, and not even a hint of the sun making an appearance so far. Fascinating how conditions can vary so much across our little part of the world.

Bish

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Battleship-grey skies here, and not even a hint of the sun making an appearance so far. Fascinating how conditions can vary so much across our little part of the world.

Bish

It is. I assumed everywhere was similar until I read the posts in here.

• Like 1

Posted

Any chances of anything today, to make up for the complete lack of any storms or rain yesterday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Grey skies here this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

horrid morning, thick sea mist, this location very prone to it

What a difference 40 miles make.Glourious Blue skies and warm Sunshine in South Cheshire.

Also Missed all the storm activity yesterday had about 10 Minutes of Rain which struggled to even wet the ground.

C.S 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Sun breaking through now. Still grey skies but brighter!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Storme said:

Sun breaking through now. Still grey skies but brighter!

That's a promising sign for the rest of us. It's still grey here, but looking at the radar the northern extent of the cloud mass is finally starting to thin and fragment.

Bish

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

That's a promising sign for the rest of us. It's still grey here, but looking at the radar the northern extent of the cloud mass is finally starting to thin and fragment.

Bish

Agreed, At this rate it'll be 3pm though

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/satellite.php?mode=animation-visible-france&region=uk

• Like 2

Posted

Day started off hazy sunshine,then cloud came in,then the fog came which is backwards.

Still can`t get get over yesterday morning,its washed part of the road away,yet either side they had little rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Very sad news about the man who died in the Walsall flash flooding yesterday. Condolences to his family. :(

Still cloudy here in N Worcs, but it's pretty bright now. Looking at the radar, I'd hope to see some breaks appearing in the next hour or so. 18.2 °C but feeling fairly warm due to the humidity.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Cloud burning off here with blue sky's showing above now and feeling warm with temp currently 21.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Yep, hazy sunshine now just starting to break through here as well. Temperature up to 19.6 °C.