Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
7 hours ago, Sparkiee storm said:

I don't think ive ever seen snow accumulate this fast before, in the space of about 2 hours  3 - 5cm has fallen, some exceptionally heavy snowfall about and BBC weather has just said the West Midlands could still have quite a lot of snow falling even at 9am, this could turn into a major event.

Where's @WalsallWeather123, as they said we would only have a couple of cm's from this? 

One of the things I learnt the last time around a few weeks ago was that when it's this very dry air, like in the Siberian Easterlies, the usual precipitation conversions alter. 

Normally if it says 4mm of precipitation, then if it falls as rain, you get your 4mm, but if it falls as normal, frontal, snow, you get about 4cm. Just a simple 1:10 conversion, approximately. 
But in this very very dry air stuff, it can alter to 1:30, so your 4mm of precipitation might deliver 12cm of snow. 

It isn't set in stone, not always 1:30; just that it can be a lot more than 1:10 - but apparently it's the very dry air in this convective Easterly that makes it accumulate very rapidly. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

About 4-5 inches in Telford TF3, I reckon. And still coming down... :)

I'm getting a dawn train north tomorrow, so if it's basically stopping this morning that works well for me, as they'll have time to get the tracks clear, etc. We may need to move the car up to the level road at the top, though, today  Otherwise it'll be ice-skates at dawn tomorrow! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Trying to pick up again here.

Posted

Still small flakes falling, some blowing around, 5cm on the front lawn and everything covered. Very good effort for a late-season easterly.

19th morning of snow lying, it's now beaten both 2012-13 and 2009-10 on that score. Will it match 1995-6 (21) or even 2010-11 (26)?

• Like 1

Posted

10cms of fresh snow fell over night in coventry but compared to the last 3 snow events where we had 15cms...snow is not as deep as the wind has caused drifiting! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Morning all, winter wonderland as greeted us all this mooring :D and if the  BBC weather as anything to do with it (update 6:33am) all day snow showers is me until 9pm...can't be bad :)

Screenshot_2018-03-18-08-34-00.thumb.png.f1e2a2d782fe4e7a1a5b150610ca16ce.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Finally packing up now, can't see where the bbc's forecast will come from.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Finally packing up now, can't see where the bbc's forecast will come from.

certainly looks dry today, even sunny skies, i thought was forecast from the SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Stopped here about an hour ago...

But we are still getting decent flurries passing through..

Temperature min was at 06:00 with a temp of -3.2C and a blizzard outside. I went back to bed as my heating has packed in.

Why does it always happen when it is at its coldest??

I think I need a plumber as my pump is making horrible 'grounching' sounds. On a Sunday? No chance.

Seems as though it may have stopped now and the temp has risen to -2.4C, DP is -5.2C, but the wind is still drifting the snow around, even here close to Solihull centre. I will go out with my ruler when I am dressed.

Just watched Helen Willets who said it may well be dry for the rest of the day... but I suspect that we may get more snow showers later, if the wind keeps going in its ENE direction. 

As for WalsallW123  and his 'we will get nothing worthwhile'. In these situations with an easterly it is always  now-casting. Some places get hit, others miss out. It is largely a question of your luck!  In this case, it was obvious yesterday morning that the probabilities were that a more widespread area of snow would develop. BB1962 picked it up and I reported it on here, early yesterday.

It would appear that all places (possibly excepting the SE Midlands) have received around 5 -10cms today of drifting powder snow,(higher ground more)  for the 4th time this winter. Amazing really when one considers it is just 10years since we were told that the UK would not be seeing snow again.

Thank goodness that the weather does not use models?

However, I promise not to say anything more on the subject!!!:D

:cold:MIA:cold:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, nobble said:

8cm of level snow

IMG_4572.JPG

That's not level. .. ☺

Posted

Sunshine looks unlikely at the moment, looking at the latest sat image anyway.

Posted

Not as much snow here as had look likely. There never is. Still a decent covering though. Off out for a walk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

certainly looks dry today, even sunny skies, i thought was forecast from the SE

Snow showers will still come in off the north sea in a very cold easterly. Much as yesterday.

Already there are signs of development near the Wash, and we still have the very cold air over us. The snow moved in(developed) from the SE over night as the upper moisture from France  hit the very low temps.

This is moving away SW again now, and the 'true' easterly will set in for the rest of the day.

However, it will be mainly convective type showers, so it should not produce anything too significant.

Just 'pretty'.

MIA  

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

9 hours ago, Sparkiee storm said:

I don't think ive ever seen snow accumulate this fast before, in the space of about 2 hours  3 - 5cm has fallen, some exceptionally heavy snowfall about and BBC weather has just said the West Midlands could still have quite a lot of snow falling even at 9am, this could turn into a major event.

Where's @WalsallWeather123, as they said we would only have a couple of cm's from this? 

3cm on roads here. A tiny bit more on grass but I can still see the top of the grass so not a lot really at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Circa 12-14cms here in Wythall, very surprised how much we’ve had overnight, didn’t expect much more than a few cms to be honest. Think that’s the 4th 10cm+ fall this winter, which is 4 more than we had in any individual winter since 2013.

• Like 1

Posted

The beeb will have to change their app forecast, they are completely inaccurate.

Posted
13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That's not level. .. ☺

Pic for display purposes?