Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

Midlands Regional Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, snow freak said:

BBC weather app has northampton down for heavy snow tomorrow morning from 6am to midday.  can't see that happening somehow.

I've lost a huge amount of faith in the weather apps. I have BBC, Met Office and Accuweather and they all say different things. I guess they are generally accurate - "snow showers" but I guess distilling the actual snowfall into individual areas is not easy. Annoying when you're willing it to snow!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

like March 1 out there now, settling well, little flakes and wind blowing the snow

Snap

MIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boring dry slot. Can see the showers merging in the Amber warning area though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Becoming quite interesting in Nottingham now 

Definite trend to Banding the snow together now 

Its not a patch on the Wednesday evening a couple of weeks ago but it seems to be causing more problems on the roads and buses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Becoming quite interesting in Nottingham now 

Definite trend to Banding the snow together now 

Its not a patch on the Wednesday evening a couple of weeks ago but it seems to be causing more problems on the roads and buses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Maybe this will help shift the newly formed Walsall snow shield.....

Capture 101.PNG

good thread this though, bickering in SE thread is weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see some heavy showers from time to time not much happend since 6pm !! 

Freezing wind chill .... 

good luck to fellow midlanders with ❄️❄️❄️❄️ Enjoy 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

good thread this though, bickering in SE thread is weird

Will never understand why they are bickering in there lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Will never understand why they are bickering in there lol

maybe its because they are so snow starved, it can make the most sane person go crazy i guess.i rant enough and i shouldnt really complain as this is my third snow event this winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Snap

MIA

Snowing nicely and looking at the radar  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a blizzard here for past 10 mins snow starting to accumulate nicely now. Looks good for later also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 here by Villa Park the snow still coming down now covering everything I must say this is quite pleasant because I didn’t expect much from this snowy spell  The BBC app as this area down for light flow from after midnight and heavy snow showers tomorrow those of you who haven’t got anything yet I think you will be surprised come tomorrow morning 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not going to happen here, between those two bands of showers, been like it most of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been snowing here in Melton Mowbray for a good hour and a half. Accumulation building but only about 10mm or so so far. Hope it can keep it going through the night!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Not going to happen here, between those two bands of showers, been like it most of the day.

What part of wolves you from ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Can you please explain what a "steamer" is? For a layperson like myself?

Snowing heavens high here in Melton now!

A streamer - I'm not an expert, but...

When you get convective snow that's formed by very cold air passing over a comparatively-warmer body of water (ie Easterly from Siberia coming over the North Sea at this time of year) then you get the snow falling as the air then reaches land. 
The models can predict convective snow, but they really struggle with predicting how far inland that snow will keep falling. It might only fall on the coast, or it might get right the way across the country (Telford is a VERY long way from the North Sea!). Generally speaking, it gets dropped when it meets hills as the air rises, so anywhere on the far side of the hills won't see snow.
When you get very lucky, the snow comes in on a wind that is the perfect angle to come streaming in along the undulations of the land's surface, often a river valley, and it then streams a helluva long way inland, compared to other areas/occasions. 

We had a "Cheshire Gap Streamer" on Dec 8th 2017, when a North-Westerly came in at the perfect angle and Telford was pretty much the first high ground it hit and he got absolutely buried in something like eight inches of snow in a few hours (then we got more from the SW in a totally separate event two days later - 28cm in all!!)(yes, I know, it's because I'm 49 so I work in both metric and imperial, sorry!)

You also hear of "a Thames Streamer", or "a Wash Streamer" - it isn't always a river, cf the Cheshire Gap (a flat plain between hills), but basically it means snow coming on off the sea will get further inland along the path of the streamer. 

Does that make sense? And people who know more than me, for havens sake quote me if I've got things wrong, so I get an alert and can come back and edit this so it doesn't stay wrong to confuse others! I *think* I have it mostly right, though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wadey said:

What part of wolves you from ? 

North, about a mile south of M54 J2, not much is falling just a few bits and pieces blowing in the wind.

Edited by DIS1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BleakMidwinter said:

A streamer - I'm not an expert, but...

When you get convective snow that's formed by very cold air passing over a comparatively-warmer body of water (ie Easterly from Siberia coming over the North Sea at this time of year) then you get the snow falling as the air then reaches land. 
The models can predict convective snow, but they really struggle with predicting how far inland that snow will keep falling. It might only fall on the coast, or it might get right the way across the country (Telford is a VERY long way from the North Sea!). Generally speaking, it gets dropped when it meets hills as the air rises, so anywhere on the far side of the hills won't see snow.
When you get very lucky, the snow comes in on a wind that is the perfect angle to come streaming in along the undulations of the land's surface, often a river valley, and it then streams a helluva long way inland, compared to other areas/occasions. 

We had a "Cheshire Gap Streamer" on Dec 8th 2017, when a North-Westerly came in at the perfect angle and Telford was pretty much the first high ground it hit and he got absolutely buried in something like eight inches of snow in a few hours (then we got more from the SW in a totally separate event two days later - 28cm in all!!)(yes, I know, it's because I'm 49 so I work in both metric and imperial, sorry!)

You also hear of "a Thames Streamer", or "a Wash Streamer" - it isn't always a river, cf the Cheshire Gap (a flat plain between hills), but basically it means snow coming on off the sea will get further inland along the path of the streamer. 

Does that make sense? And people who know more than me, for havens sake quote me if I've got things wrong, so I get an alert and can come back and edit this so it doesn't stay wrong to confuse others! I *think* I have it mostly right, though...

Thank you! That makes sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Your answer makes perfect sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be jinxed - always snows when Im working the weekend ! 

Just finished watching the football and looked out to see all the cars covered in snow.  The roads are clear tho. Light snow falling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quiet here now.

We’ve gone from a sprinkling to a splatter.... (technical meteorological terms don’t ya know 😉)

Still not a covering yet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...