DiagonalRedLine

Midlands Regional Discussion

Sat here in soaking wet Worcester. Local schools closing, roads blocked, flash floods  widespread!! Not looking good for local rivers and people who are likely to be flooded!!

Mansfield, where I am, has been very wet for most of the day and now torrential ran for abut an hour - with a lot more to come n the radar. Whats it with Thursdays and Saturdays and heavy rain this year!

Heavy wet sleet here with a NE wind gusting to 57 mph. Glad I'm retired and inside!!

Absolutely vile outside. The wind is howling, and it's the type of wind that cuts right through you.

And still it comes   some areas just to the west of me  have been battered for hours   Areas around cleobury mortimer  have seen intense rainfall   According to the radar 

The rain must have been a touch sleety here as some of the drops landed on my arms as icy clumps. Refusing to turn into actual sleet or snow (if only it was just that bit more colder). 😩

Yes the relentless moderate/heavy rain is sleet here now with temp currently 2.7c

Just started to hear spits and spots of rain hitting the windows, sounds icy but too dark to see now 😞 .  Had to nip out and pick up the bins a few times today too.

wow..this is grim. 

am in cheltenham and ir is gloomy, rain all day..and alot of the night. 

rained here heavy most of the day today bitterly cold wind and according to the BBC weather app we should be getting sleet from 4 pm. haven’t seen any sleet yet it is still raining

Hi all, I’m showing 2.8c and DP 2.4c, sleet was showing on my windscreen on the way home, the main headline today is the rain, it just hasn’t stops from yesterday evening... this snap shot is Birmingham airport ☔☔☔☔☔️ 

4641CFC3-7997-4389-A499-15716A112394.thumb.png.26318037d5f276820fffbe5d3f180bf4.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings

7 hours ago, MattStoke said:

We are getting a few bits and pieces of rain but its largely dying about before reaching here.

been lucky here too, moderate showers at times, but also not raining all the time, Stoke will be better though as it seems to be protected by Peaks, so should have even less rain

2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

been lucky here too, moderate showers at times, but also not raining all the time, Stoke will be better though as it seems to be protected by Peaks, so should have even less rain

Not so good when its a band of snow. Countless times last winter the snow died out just a few miles from Stoke. Rarely such a problem with rain, which makes a beeline for this place!

Edited by MattStoke

3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Not so good when its a band of snow. Countless times last winter the snow died out just a few miles from Stoke. Rarely such a problem with rain, which makes a beeline for this place!

yes, will affect Stoke more, you've fared a bit better today, but I fared much better on Dec 10th '17

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Very heavy driving sleet now, Temp 2c

13 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes, will affect Stoke more, you've fared a bit better today, but I fared much better on Dec 19th '17

Peak district is to the north though, so don't understand why precipitation coming from the south and/or east should weaken on approach to Stoke. There's nothing in the way.

8 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Peak district is to the north though, so don't understand why precipitation coming from the south and/or east should weaken on approach to Stoke. There's nothing in the way.

moving from ENE though on raintoday,

Sleeting now (at least I think it is, difficult to tell with these cruddy 'led' lampposts we have here now 😕 )

No change here 3.3c and rain what a day bet the normal people are feeling extremely cold today out and about.

1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

One reason why Sheffield has been so badly affected as the last couple of major rainfalls have come from the east so there hasn't been the Peaks to shield the worst of the precipitation.

The odd big wet snowflake here just now within the very heavy sleet.

1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

moving from ENE though on raintoday,

Having said all this, it’s been hammering it down the last few hours. A thoroughly horrible walk home from work.

Snow falling on top of the Lickey Hills this afternoon (close to 1000 feet / 300m). Very close to settling for a while.

Video

Edited by Higher Ground
To get video to show