Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Still no let up. Meanwhile, obs from the nearest station in Leek show how cold it’s been under the cloud and rain.

6B7553AC-1057-4747-BD56-BCACFF210D0B.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Just come from the cinema and it is still raining. Surprisingly little in the way of surface water flooding which perhaps shows how little rain we have had recently. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
51 minutes ago, RobR said:

Just come from the cinema and it is still raining. Surprisingly little in the way of surface water flooding which perhaps shows how little rain we have had recently. 

Everything would have had a good drink, importantly. As you say, things have been dry recently.

Posted

I don’t think it’s been dry at all. A few days where it hasn’t rained but, otherwise, frequent downpours. At no point has the landscape looked parched. It’s sodden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Showers here turrned to sleet about an hour ago, the first sleet or snow in May since 2013. Current temp; is 3.2c.

Edited by Terminal Moraine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yesterday was the first completely sunless day here since March 16th. The maximum of 6.5c was the lowest in May since 1997 when there was a max' of 5.2c on the 7th.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Heavy rain pushing in here, With a E/S/E wind. Temp 5.3c

Posted

Full cloud cover here, even after the main band of rain has pushed to the north, so little chance of any surface heating. Some beefy looking showers coming up from the south west though probably won’t contain anything electrical. 

Posted

An air pressure reading of 1040.9 hPa at 0800 g.m.t today was the highest reading here in May since I started keeping air pressure records in 1964. The previous record for May was 1038.1 hPa in 2012.

Posted

A convergence zone about 12-15 miles east of here produced a persistent line of showers, from around the Chesterfield area, south through Clay Cross and towards Nottingham and Derby, which remained almost stationary for much of the afternoon.

Dry all day here with the cloud clearing during the second half of the afternoon to allow some longer sunny spells; the NW/N breeze picked up at the same time too.

Posted

A small band of showers here pushing in here from the West, Temp currently 10c.

Posted

A slight ground frost here this morning ( -0.1c ). This was the latest ground frost since 2009 when there was one on June 12th.

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy horizontal sheets of drizzle here for the past hour, Will do the garden a world of wonders.

Posted

Lovely day out today after early showers cleared. Warm sunny spells now but breezy.

IMG_20190530_135631.thumb.jpg.3d5d3e549c11072188f36829e101de4c.jpgIMG_20190530_135818.thumb.jpg.e1fec3c3e440b370b5cd5f6e478e8bc0.jpgIMG_20190530_135856.thumb.jpg.12f29301dbe7e09bf5e1930198c1d840.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

First 25 °C of the year recorded here today (max 25.1 °C), but apart from that, this was not an especially inspiring way to begin meterological summer. Mostly cloudy and feeling uncomfortably muggy. Actually, the last few days have all been disappointing, a few nice sunny evenings aside. Not much hope for some proper summer weather in the coming week, either, but I suppose we do need the rain.

Posted

I wonder how today's rainfall will manage to miss this part of the region?

It's so dry here some of the trees have started to drop leaves, and the carrots I planted 3 weeks ago, have still yet to germinate on the allotment. Also, I planted some brassicas yesterday, and there was no moisture for over 1 foot down !!

So, it's starting to get serious here, and even all the promised rainfall we were supposed to get this week as per my phone's weather app, it's downgraded to sunshine and showers (which means dry).

I really, really hope today brings some meaningful rain, but in all honesty, we needs 2-3 weeks' of proper rainfall to stock the ground back up.

fingers crossed!!

Posted

IMG_20190604_175306.thumb.jpg.d78d85521fc5b28d8cc2ddb77470c099.jpgLashing it down with rain here, 8.7mm so far.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Currently somewhere between Crewe and Brum (on a train) and looks to me like we have a weak sun dog? Phone not capturing it sadly

Posted

Lovely this morning bright blue skies over chatsworth house for rhs flower show... warm in the sunshine...not too busy for first couple of hours... shame for people attending tomorrow as it looks a wash out and having to walk from the car park through fields it’ll be a bit of a mud bath...

• Like 1

Posted

Thunderstorm over Stoke-on-Trent as I was walking home from work.

Soaked but enjoyed a good lightning show!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
2 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Thunderstorm over Stoke-on-Trent as I was walking home from work.

Soaked but enjoyed a good lightning show!

Was a lovely light show for about 30 minutes. Came over Leek and then fizzled out but was some of the best lightning in some time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Pleasant enough day here in N Worcs today. Even though it didn't get out of the teens, it felt fine with light winds and a reasonable amount of sunshine. Tomorrow looks a different matter of course! For once the worst weather isn't timed perfectly to coincide with me being outdoors with friends... though I will be on Saturday, so I could still get quite wet if there's a serious shower with my name on it.

When I was updating those friends on what to expect, I mentioned that it would be "average weather... for April."  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
On 05/06/2019 at 20:13, Relativistic said:

Currently somewhere between Crewe and Brum (on a train) and looks to me like we have a weak sun dog? Phone not capturing it sadly

Saw it here around that time aye

Posted

Rain just starting to touch my location just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

I see the West Midlands is under Met office yellow warning for rain starting for a M Monday and it is valid on till 12 o’clock Thursday I wonder if this will come off or is it going to be a another Phalia like Fridays thunderstorm warning