Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

I think it's starting to looking a bit more positive for everyone now. Those east and south of here will start to see the change over soon. Looks like anything above 100m has a chance at the moment, which isn't too shabby in the current setup.

However, I don't think we'll end up with much settling, if any at all. Maybe some of the higher hills in the area such as Clent or Lickey will see something on the ground.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
1 minute ago, #windysnow# said:

completely agree!! I presume your still getting rain? Im in Ashby so if yours turns let me know

Yeah in Sretton. 

Coming down heavy now!!!! Just had a look

Rain that is. lol

Temp 2.5 dew point 0.3

with that low a dew point thought it would be turning by now.

Slightly heavier patch looks like pushing up from the south on radar. 

After that looks very light.

As I write this sleet has started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

It does seem like the weather apps and websites (mainstream ones anyway) err on the side of caution to me. They'd rather forecast snow and we get rain than the other way round - perhaps because for most people (excluding the "enthusiasts" in here) would prefer it that way. This is purely anecdotal of course but that's my impression

completely agree

Posted
1 minute ago, el tiempo said:

If you're in Hanley I suppose it's the city centre affect. In the suburbs it's sticking albeit slushy.

My work is on Old Shelton Road, not very far from Hanley. Not actually sure what name this bit of Stoke comes under.

Wonder what it's like back home in Longton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

It does seem like the weather apps and websites (mainstream ones anyway) err on the side of caution to me. They'd rather forecast snow and we get rain than the other way round - perhaps because for most people (excluding the "enthusiasts" in here) would prefer it that way. This is purely anecdotal of course but that's my impression

Agreed..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well iv just got home to heavy wet snow so no settling yet but give it an hour or so I’d say

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
3 minutes ago, Gord said:

I think it's starting to looking a bit more positive for everyone now. Those east and south of here will start to see the change over soon. Looks like anything above 100m has a chance at the moment, which isn't too shabby in the current setup.

However, I don't think we'll end up with much settling, if any at all. Maybe some of the higher hills in the area such as Clent or Lickey will see something on the ground.

Looks like the PPN is gaining some energy again the radar looks good for a few hours yet. Is it sticking by you yet. It's not here ground is soaked.

Posted
1 minute ago, markw2680 said:

Well iv just got home to heavy wet snow so no settling yet but give it an hour or so I’d say

You live in the one of the few areas of the West Midlands that's higher than here. So will be interesting to see what you get!

Posted

looking at the radar now only light stuff now for the rest of the evening!!!!! before it fizzles out completely

Posted

Snow is absolutely lashing down now and starting to stick to grass. We have lift off

Posted
Just now, snowangel32 said:

Looks like the PPN is gaining some energy again the radar looks good for a few hours yet. Is it sticking by you yet. It's not here ground is soaked.

Nah, unless you count slushy deposits on car windscreens as settling. 

It's snowing quite well now though. Flakes getting smaller too.

Posted
Just now, Gord said:

Nah, unless you count slushy deposits on car windscreens as settling. 

It's snowing quite well now though. Flakes getting smaller too.

My husband always says smaller is better lol

Posted
1 minute ago, #windysnow# said:

looking at the radar now only light stuff now for the rest of the evening!!!!! before it fizzles out completely

how do you reach that conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong because I barely understand it myself but isn't it the case that the band will continue to move eastwards and may or may not break up/build up and bring snow? Is it a bit soon to write it off?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

My work is on Old Shelton Road, not very far from Hanley. Not actually sure what name this bit of Stoke comes under.

Wonder what it's like back home in Longton.

So you're not far from the Queensway? Maybe the pollution or the slight height advantage here in Hartshill (142 metres where I am). I used to work at Staffs Uni & set off here with a covering for there to be next to nothing there.

Posted
Just now, el tiempo said:

So you're not far from the Queensway? Maybe the pollution or the slight height advantage here in Hartshill (142 metres where I am). I used to work at Staffs Uni & set off here with a covering for there to be next to nothing there.

Hmm. The roofs are turning white.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

80% snow here now, another 5-10 mins & will be all snow I reckon.

Posted

What a shame this is, huge opportunity. If we could have had this front tonight. It’s sctually a lot wider than it looked on the models. We’ve been the breeding ground for somewhere like Milton Keynes, east into London for quite a low of snow IMO. 

Turning more snowy now but all too little too late. Thursday had better perform. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Trying to turn, still 50/50, not heavy 2.1C.

Edited by DIS1970