Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

Midlands Regional Discussion

1 minute ago, i love snow said:

The front looks like it breaking as it hits the Midlands, however it's much heavier over West Wales. I'm guessing that's what is supposed to turn to snow over us

The winds should start to turn to a westerly then more North westerly as the evening continues.  

Just starting to lightly rain in Tansley (a village above Matlock). Temperature dropping and starting to feel very very cold now. 

1 minute ago, PerfectStorm said:

That's not how it works. Under precipitation that temperature could easily fall to near-freezing. 

I know how it works but it wasn't forecast to get anywhere near 4 degrees today, even now they're still saying for it to be 1 to 2 degrees, it's just so incorrect.

More and more reports from wales and northwest of snow!cold air could be undercutting!!

• Like 2

The midlands will be obliterated by 3pm 😁

There's a lot of moisture in the air to our west on the radars. Feeling cold, will get colder. Looking good. Good signs from the NW too

-Coventry

My little one has a party in Stourbridge at 5:15 today, and we are in Sedgley, not sure I fancy driving across at rush hour as barely a dusting and you just know there will be gridlock!

In Kidderminster right now. Just stopped raining after a longish period of light rain. Rooftop thermometer says 3.5C, which feels about right.

Remember: DP's and surface temps will fall dramatically under the precipitation. Just because it's showing +3C now, it will NOT be showing that once the precip arrives. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PhilM1 said:

My little one has a party in Stourbridge at 5:15 today, and we are in Sedgley, not sure I fancy driving across at rush hour as barely a dusting and you just know there will be gridlock!

If there is precipitation around at that time  im pretty certain it will be snow at that altitude  im a little concerned about my drive back also

Just now, weirpig said:

If there is precipitation around at that time  im pretty certain it will be snow at that altitude  im a little concerned about my drive back also

Indeed! Luckily I am on a half day today so at least I'll get back from work in Brum without any drama. (Train to Coseley then short drive up the hill to Sedgley)

2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Starting to see snowflakes.

Oh ye of little faith!

I got my elevation wrong, we are actually 84m above sea level. 

Edited by Storme
Autocorrect
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Storme said:

Oh ye of little faith!

I got my elevation wrong, we are actually 84m above sea level. 

Actually i guessed mine  not to sure what it is.  How do you check?.

1 hour ago, Summer of 95 said:

You must have had a few "thunderstorm misses me by 10 miles" letdowns as well?

My brother in law lives in Iowa and he always updates us on the weather when he phones.  The climate there seems to be very much "all or nothing"; last time he said he had 8" snow and single digits (F) temps, other times in the winter we have had snow when he had nothing. 

The beauty of thunderstorm let downs over there is that because of the landscape, you still can get the pleasure of distant cbs lighting up like lightbulbs!

Very much agree with the all of nothing. Winter 2005/6 over there was a perfect example. Very cold and snowy December. Mild and wet with no snow at all for the rest of the winter as the likes of Washington/New York kept getting hit over and over again.

The mild sectors that drifted across the Ohio Valley from the Gulf of Mexico were huge pains in the backside!

Plenty of snow to come on the radar already got a covering,started off very slowly as it wasn`t sticking for 2 hours.

Think I might have to make a trip back home to the Midlands for Thursday, don't really want to miss what could turn out to be my best shot at significant snow this winter. I haven't been keeping up with the forecasts, but assuming the Midland's cops it, what totals are we looking at? Thanks

Wind is picking up here, means that ppn is incoming. Feels colder the last 10mins. It will surely start as light rain. Hope it intensifies quickly for a better chance of snow later.

Here we go big flakes in Northern Stoke now, still the ground is soaked so its going to be impossible to stick

• Like 1