Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

Midlands Regional Discussion

10 minutes ago, Gord said:

Light drizzle here too. Heavier rain wasn't forecasted to start until around lunchtime so looking at the radar, the forecast is looking accurate so far. Then hopefully, the changeover to snow later this afternoon.

My concern is the rain band moving through before the colder air can dig in. We've seen it happen many times before. It's also a scenario that used to happen a lot when I lived in Columbus, Ohio. A lot of people think that it's only us here who gets screwed over a lot in the winter. In the lower Midwest, the rewards can be massive, but the disappointments are not only numerous, but are huge. We're not talking about little mild sectors that tip the dew point above freezing like we get here. I remember being under severe snow warnings yet a big mild sector drifting up from the Gulf of Mexico goes further north than predicted and suddenly, you're looking at heavy rain and 15c!

Being on the cusp is something that the UK is best at!

You must have had a few "thunderstorm misses me by 10 miles" letdowns as well?

My brother in law lives in Iowa and he always updates us on the weather when he phones.  The climate there seems to be very much "all or nothing"; last time he said he had 8" snow and single digits (F) temps, other times in the winter we have had snow when he had nothing. 

5 minutes ago, smethwickgg102 said:

Raining down the road in Tipton at the moment, hopefully the DP will drop a degree or two later 😯

Damm not far from you. Wierd how places so close can be diffrent and the dp will drop from Midday onwards.

Edited by snowangel32

Looks like the central portion of that rain/snow band is fragmenting a little, i can also see the sun through it as well, so it's not looking too strong - at the moment.

3 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Looks like the central portion of that rain/snow band is fragmenting a little, i can also see the sun through it as well, so it's not looking too strong - at the moment.

Always does with bands coming west to east - the welsh mountains chew the hell out of them...then it reinvigorates across the east midlands. 

1 minute ago, PerfectStorm said:

Always does with bands coming west to east - the welsh mountains chew the hell out of them...then it reinvigorates across the east midlands. 

I know, that forecast of any heavy snowfall will be a bit of a surprise now, the MetOffice pinned up heavy snow until 7pm this evening.

What on earth is all the panic about? It said it may be rain at first with all the light patchy stuff! Give it chance. Maybe if it’s still light patchy crap at 4 then have a moan but not at 11.43 am

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

What on earth is all the panic about? It said it may be rain at first with all the light patchy stuff! Give it chance. Maybe if it’s still light patchy crap at 4 then have a moan but not at 11.43 am

IT'S ALL GOING WRONG. WINTER IS OVER. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

time to bust out the sun cream and spark the bbq up!!

I will never understand why so many people care so much about some automated weather symbols on METO, BBC, Accu etc. It's all down to nowcast. Check your T, DP, Theta-W, ppn radar. 

• Like 1

Something worth baring in mind is weather apps are useless in this type of weather, met office included, have that drummed into me from Jon hammond updates regular 

• Like 1

Reports coming in that its snowing manchester city centre😁

3 minutes ago, i love snow said:

Positive that the north west are now reporting rain turning to snow.

Yea apparently heavy snow in Manchester city centre. Hopefully the cold air undercuts the front. Bit like that jan28 2004 event. 

• Thanks 1

Light liquid ppn. Sun trying to break through.

Temp up to 3.8C now, any snowfall looking unlikely.

1 minute ago, DIS1970 said:

Temp up to 3.8C now, any snowfall looking unlikely.

That's not how it works. Under precipitation that temperature could easily fall to near-freezing. 

• Like 1

Temperature has flat lined here for the last 20-30 minutes for 2.8C. Good indication that the colder air is now filtering in. 

Dps starting to fall  hopefully  the colder air will start to influence our weather.

• Thanks 1

Weather stations in west Birmingham are now reporting temperature falls. It's coming!

• Thanks 1

The front looks like it breaking as it hits the Midlands, however it's much heavier over West Wales. I'm guessing that's what is supposed to turn to snow over us

Just started raining in Matlock, fairly low down here but I have to cross 300m high ground to get home

Time for some radar watching!

Yep, dew points and temperature on the way down now. Could get interesting soon.